Vintage Bay Mofra's Bottom 50 for 2018

If it’s any consolation, most clubs have someone in this category. Recently, ours has been Jack Watts....

Not that you would admit that in public.....
John Butcher and Majak Daw have both kicked 6 goals against us :$

Didn’t Petrie get 6 in a quarter/half one day ??
Yes, on that Brian Harris bloke. Petrie was unstoppable for about 45 minutes, Archer's 300th.

Recreational drug/PED/gambling enthusiast, reluctant forward, noted club detractor and player Ameet Bains definitely wouldn’t trade pick 5 for J Carlisle kicked 8 one day too

1 Jacob Weitering Carlton Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
2 Josh Schache Brisbane Lions Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup
3 Callum Mills Sydney North Shore Sydney AFL Academy player; Melbourne's bid matched with picks 33, 36, 37 and 43[128]
4 Clayton Oliver Melbourne Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup Traded from Gold Coast
5 Darcy Parish Essendon Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
6 Aaron Francis Essendon West Adelaide SANFL Traded from St Kilda

Will Aaron Francis make this list?

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I’d be shocked to be sitting here. Less than 20 career games, came in late in the season and dominated and then did this in his last game.

E8284772-DDF6-436F-96A9-3C86D1CDC686.jpeg

Would take him over anyone on St Kilda’s list moving forwards

leobarryustar

Milking frees
Margin Mania Chess Club Member BeanCoiNFT Investor Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Sep 23, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
I’d be shocked to be sitting here. Less than 20 career games, came in late in the season and dominated and then did this in his last game.

View attachment 595359
...then he kicks it into the man on the mark resulting in a goal the other way 20 seconds later

Player #11 - Jono Patton

PattonUSStatementSLIDER.jpg

Pictured: Thank god football happened

Jon Patton joins the list of former no 1 picks who just never quite got to where they should be.

On something like $700-800k pa, Jon "the General" Patton has has a career interrupted by both injury and under performance since he was the 'consensus no 1 pick' in 2011. BTW his nickname is in reference to General Patton, a WW2 American general who actually won something.

This season the Giants didn't quite meet their benchmark of a prelim loss, and coincidentally Patton had a down year by his normally disappointing standards.
Shoehorned into the ruck/forward role he showed a small amount of forward nous as a slow, lumbering big man and all the ruck ability of a common housebrick. Managing 10 effective possessions and less than 6 and a half hitouts per game the General didn't just fail to meet the benchmark of a pick 1 on a big fat contract, he tunnelled like a doomsday cultist.

It got to the point when Nick Riewoldt, another former no 1 pick with questionable kicking who never won anything, said Jono should bring back the place-kick. The place-kick was last used in 1955 by Tony Ongarello who played for Fitzroy, who merged with Brisbane to become the Brisbane Lions who won three premierships at the start of the 2000s. Back in 1955 the Giants weren't even a glint in an AFL focus groups' eye.

Now, when you take a player at pick 1 you hope like hell he manages to do more than play "3rd forward or back-up ruckman" but that's the level Patton aspired to in 2018 (and failed at). His ruck numbers take into account that at times he was the Giants no 1 ruckman, getting soundly beaten by a 36 year old Sandilands and the 3rd choice ruck the Swans play most of the season. Of course after round 7 he was dropped by the Giants so he faces an issue at least recognised by the Giants.

In happier news for Jono he publicly declared Sydney is now 'home' by buy buying a place in Alexandria. Being from Noble Park it's little surprise the General has not much in the way of 'go home' factor, even if any Victorian team was interested in him. If only he was under six foot Essendon would be an option, or a complete spud so Carlton would have interest.

Sadly the General suffered a major injury late in the season which curtailed his campaign, but after setbacks in the past he made it back so best of luck this time the same thing happens. After all the Giants saw first hand a 4 time ACL victim (Clay Smith) utterly hand them a new a-hole in the 2016 prelim with 4 first half goals. Just thinking about it...

oooh ah um ah *bites lip*

... anyway good luck next year Jon, enjoy the new pad. Welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2018.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
With #1 picks, I think that what GWS, GCS, St Kilda, Carlton and Essendon (who in accordance with tradition, cheated to get their last #1 pick) have shown us is:

That unless they are called Tom Boyd, that #1 picks don’t necessarily buy/bring happiness.... :D:p

John Butcher and Majak Daw have both kicked 6 goals against us :$
I'm blaming Lukas Markovic. I went to both those games (and the Petrie '6 goals in the first quarter' game). We were missing Lake, Hargrave and Morris when Butcher kicked his bag of goals. But they were all in junk time since we kicked the first 10 goals of the game :D

With #1 picks, I think that what GWS, GCS, St Kilda, Carlton and Essendon (who in accordance with tradition, cheated to get their last #1 pick) have shown us is:

That unless they are called Tom Boyd, that #1 picks don’t necessarily buy/bring happiness.... :D:p
Hodge and Boyd aside, has any no 1 pick actually performed in the big dance?

Indeed, #1 draft picks have only produced 7 premierships in total....4 of those belong to Luke Hodge. :$

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Indeed, #1 draft picks have only produced 7 premierships in total....4 of those belong to Luke Hodge. :$

With 2 I assume going to Drew Banfield and the other 1 belonging to Des Headland.

With 2 I assume going to Drew Banfield and the other 1 belonging to Des Headland.
Correct. So it's 8 premierships total - 4 to Hodge, 2 to Banfield and singles to Headland and Boyd. Not a great return :oops:

Back