Vintage Bay Mofra's Bottom 50 for 2019 - Now featuring the bottom 5 Arnott's biscuits

Remove this Banner Ad

So today's been a write-off and I'm away for a few days, so the suspense for the top 5 will have to build. BUT there is one thing that needs to be done first.

The Bottom 50 Lifetime achievement award for 2019: Gary Rohan

1572516800712.png
Pictured: A couple of Garys. The only way to get more Garys to Geelong would be to hire Billy Brownless' ex.

Gary Rohan. The man, the myth, the enigma. 90kg+, 189cm, and one of the quickest players going around.

I will start by stating outright Gary is one of the genuine good guys of the AFL. I was fortunate enough to chat to people who grew up with him and they are all glowing in their praise for him.
But - BUT - we must mention the Hawkins in the room.

Rohan was traded from Sydney to Geelong after a difficult off-field season last year. Being a Cobden boy, Rohan this year has been able to get family support and to enjoy playing footy again. Like all Geelong players who "come back home" to play for Geelong, he didn't actually live in Geelong.
What returning players mean is they want to return to the general vicinity (like Torquay, Moggs Creek, etc) but not Geelong itself. Nobody actually goes back to Geelong itself, ever. It's a shithole. It's time Geelong fans acknowledge that even their players think the place sucks.

Back to Gary, for the first half of the year (when Geelong were good) Gary was good. Then, of course, the second of the year started and we got the crunchy to accompany the smooth.

On the surface of it, Gary's 2019 average of 1.3 goals per game is a pretty good return. He didn't quite get to two tackles per game, but he was replacing Menzel so it was an overall increase in both durability and tackle numbers. However, we need to look at the way his season panned out.

Up to Round 9 he was flying and living up to the promise he showed as a junior that saw the Swans take him at pick 6. Back then the AFL just gave the Swans a salary cap rort, and not most of the good kids in NSW, so they actually had to draft players.
Gary kicked 19 goals from his first 9 games. Among that was a 10 mark, 4 goal effort against West Coast. Willie Rioli didn't play that game so it's a legitimate result.

Then in Gary's next 10 games he kicked... 5 goals in total. It was at the end of this that Gary had to face his nemesis, his one true adversary, his greatest ever opponent: Finals.
A change of jumper, scenery, teammates, would it make a difference?

1572517508004.png
Oh my wordy lordy Janelle, no.

Three. 3. Tres. His final disposal count.

Poor old Gary Rohan couldn't quite shake that finals monkey off his back. Two kicks, one handball, 1 goal, 1 tackle and 1 clanger. The end.
Being a Ranga, it's about time we nickname him RedTube because no matter how hard he works leading up to the big finish, he chokes at the end.

So here it is. A favourite of us all, a Bay champion. Gary we all collectively owe you a beer, thank you for your service. We salute you.

Attachments

• 1572516902373.png
    1572516902373.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
  • 1572517519134.png
    1572517519134.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 96
So today's been a write-off and I'm away for a few days, so the suspense for the top 5 will have to build. BUT there is one thing that needs to be done first.

View attachment 772818
Pictured: A couple of Garys. The only way to get more Garys to Geelong would be to hire Billy Brownless' ex.

Gary Rohan. The man, the myth, the enigma. 90kg+, 189cm, and one of the quickest players going around.

I will start by stating outright Gary is one of the genuine good guys of the AFL. I was fortunate enough to chat to people who grew up with him and they are all glowing in their praise for him.

Rohan was traded from Sydney to Geelong after a difficult off-field season last year. Being a Cobden boy, Rohan this year has been able to get family support and to enjoy playing footy again. Like all Geelong players who "come back home" to play for Geelong, he didn't actually live in Geelong.
What returning players mean is they want to return to the general vicinity (like Torquay, Moggs Creek, etc) but not Geelong itself. Nobody actually goes back to Geelong itself, ever. It's a shithole. It's time Geelong fans acknowledge that even their players think the place sucks.

Back to Gary, for the first half of the year (when Geelong were good) Gary was good. Then, of course, the second of the year started and we got the crunchy to accompany the smooth.

On the surface of it, Gary's 2019 average of 1.3 goals per game is a pretty good return. He didn't quite get to two tackles per game, but he was replacing Menzel so it was an overall increase in both durability and tackle numbers. However, we need to look at the way his season panned out.

Up to Round 9 he was flying and living up to the promise he showed as a junior that saw the Swans take him at pick 6. Back then the AFL just gave the Swans a salary cap rort, and not most of the good kids in NSW, so they actually had to draft players.
Gary kicked 19 goals from his first 9 games. Among that was a 10 mark, 4 goal effort against West Coast. Willie Rioli didn't play that game so it's a legitimate result.

Then in Gary's next 10 games he kicked... 5 goals in total. It was at the end of this that Gary had to face his nemesis, his one true adversary, his greatest ever opponent: Finals.

View attachment 772827

Poor old Gary Rohan couldn't quite shake that finals monkey off his back. Two kicks, one handball, 1 goal, 1 tackle and 1 clanger. The end.
Being a Ranga, it's about time we nickname him RedTube because no matter how hard he works leading up to the big finish, he chokes at the end.

So here it is. A favourite of us all, a Bay champion. Gary we all collectively owe you a beer, thank you for your service. We salute you.
Gary Rohan's Bottom 50 career stats

2015 - #16 in the Bottom 50
2016 - #12 in the Bottom 50
2017 - #11 in the Bottom 50
2018 - #13 in the Bottom 50
2019 - Lifetime Achievement Award (somehow robbed of a top 10 placement)

Kudos

Kudos

Consistently s**t over a long period.... Worthy of the lifetime achievement award !!

Kudos
I don't want to question Mofra's judgement but it is a disgrace he has never been bottom 10

I don't want to question Mofra's judgement but it is a disgrace he has never been bottom 10
It's possible that he was heading for top 10 this year, until Silly Billy Rioli made his late run for the #1 spot, and then Mof converted Rohan into a Lifetime Award & shuffled the order 🤷‍♂️

The legendary top 5 is nearly upon is.
Jack Watts is a lock for #1 surely.
Not questioning Jack being part of "round up the usual suspects", but:
Round 1: Actually played a top game
Round 2: Leg smashed - out for season
Unless there's some carry over points from previous years thing going on here...

Unless there's some carry over points from previous years thing going on here...

If Jack makes an appearance this year it will be more due to his offseason antics than anything else.

Kudos
That’s some compelling stats. I thought Mayne was a certainty to be the GOATMBF but Gary has pushed himself into contention!

Don't forget his round 1 post game interview

Something about swimming might get him in based on the Josh Bootsma precedent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something about swimming might get him in based on the Josh Bootsma precedent
I believe it was covered extensively in last year’s edition, but S&T was so epic it could feature twice

This year’s offseason has been particularly boring by comparison

View attachment 772818

View attachment 772827

Traded from Sydney for pick 62.

Geelong paid overs.

Kudos
For some reason this reminds me of the Golden Raspberry awards

The only certainty is Gibbs imo. Phar Lap odds.

Personally I would have Jack Viney top 3. An absolute lock.
Gary Ablett is a possibility.
Don't forget the other Mason - Mason Cox. Huge opportunity for Mofra to get two 'Masons' in the bottom 50.
Viney was average this year. But not bottom 50 standard. Jordan Lewis is a better chance to make it.

Kudos

s**t, but never so s**t it was actually newsworthy.

Seems almost poetic.

Kudos

I think Gary Rohan will get it all together in 2020 and finally reach his true potential with a breakout year.

He has been threatening for a long time.

Mof's bottom 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back