Monaco 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't just Norris that he lost pace through, although he was the notable one. The concertina effect on that track meant track position was always going to be a massive problem.
Yeh it made sense for the leading cars to do it at the time because they had already built up a pit stop window gap to Ricciardo so weren't losing track position. Bottas even had time to pit twice !

It was amazing we didn't hear Dan bitch once about how horrible his tyres were on those Mediums for the same length of time as Lewis and was putting in clearly decent laps to the end.
I wonder if this is due sky or whoever being selective in what radio messages they broadcast?

But even without that, it may be possible that Ricciardo's tyres were ok because they weren't being hammered trundling in the back half of the field. Hamilton was hanging onto the lead.

I wonder if this is due sky or whoever being selective in what radio messages they broadcast?

But even without that, it may be possible that Ricciardo's tyres were ok because they weren't being hammered trundling in the back half of the field. Hamilton was hanging onto the lead.

There is always loads of communication between driver and team during a race, on certain broadcasts you can even select to follow and listen to a driver for an entire race. The broadcasters choose to televise those that are interesting and Hamilton is rarely quiet and is in a leading car. I bet ones like Verstappen are probably even more whiny.

People like to construct their own narrative from their own selective viewing and hearing.

I tell you guys something else. As a spectacle, this race was better than what we've seen this year. And you guys still s**t on Monaco.

With an exception of a small period here and there at Azerbaijan, there was a certain tension for the lead that had not otherwise been there for the whole season.

Hamilton being forced out of his comfort zone and driving on tyres for longer than he wanted with a challenger breathing down his neck. Verstappen juking and jiving. He probably won't but can he?

That's F1! That's racin'!

Not your whinging about the sound.

Yeah!

They did it to pit under the safety car which is a much quicker pit stop than at race pace.
Unfortunately he lost all that time and more when he was stuck behind Norris.

That I get - but track position there always far outweighs the 10-15 sec gained in a SC pit stop. Just seems Renault strategy team missed that memo.

Any other track I could see it - but not there.

The flip side is Hamilton had clean air pretty much the entire race, and was managing pace. So his tyres should've been in better nick than Riciiardo's.

I get the point on selective broadcasting of drivers comms, but I can pretty much guarantee no other driver in the field would've been carrying on like Lewis was, even when ion the box seat to win.

That I get - but track position there always far outweighs the 10-15 sec gained in a SC pit stop. Just seems Renault strategy team missed that memo.

Any other track I could see it - but not there.

Probably thought others would pit too (in which case they'd be geniuses) but turns out that the safety car was too early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The flip side is Hamilton had clean air pretty much the entire race, and was managing pace. So his tyres should've been in better nick than Riciiardo's.

I get the point on selective broadcasting of drivers comms, but I can pretty much guarantee no other driver in the field would've been carrying on like Lewis was, even when ion the box seat to win.

Ricciardo was constantly concerned when he was in the lead last year, asking about the state of his engine and how to manage it, and for obvious reasons the midfielders and backmarkers don't have their communications aired that much compared to the leaders.

I personally think much of the criticism is unjustified and the double standards are applied because he's a four time world champion that keeps winning and people get tired of it. Which is fair enough, I won't pretend I wasn't tired of Vettel and Schumacher when they kept winning but in this age of social media and fake news it's pretty easy to find sources to back up any point of view.

Ricciardo was constantly concerned when he was in the lead last year, asking about the state of his engine and how to manage it, and for obvious reasons the midfielders and backmarkers don't have their communications aired that much compared to the leaders.

I personally think much of the criticism is unjustified and the double standards are applied because he's a four time world champion that keeps winning and people get tired of it. Which is fair enough, I won't pretend I wasn't tired of Vettel and Schumacher when they kept winning but in this age of social media and fake news it's pretty easy to find sources to back up any point of view.
I guess I just think he's a whiny brat. A very talented whiny brat, but a whiny brat nonetheless.

Ricciardo was constantly concerned when he was in the lead last year, asking about the state of his engine and how to manage it.
To be fair driving with old tyres isn't the same thing as driving without an MGU-K.

I don't have a problem with people criticising Hamilton for his need to complain over team radio, but I agree with you that its a bit much when people use their dislike of Hamilton to downgrade his achievements as a driver.

I guess I just think he's a whiny brat. A very talented whiny brat, but a whiny brat nonetheless.

They all whine tbh. Reddit loves it however when it is Alonso complaining about a Formula 2 engine or Kimi is asking engineers to leave him alone because he knows what he's doing.

Daniel ruined his own career by moving to Renault.
He Would have been better off trying to manage the political minefield at Red Bull, even if its just on year long contracts until a Ferrari/Mercedes seat opened up. I don't think Renault are going to magically get better in 2021 either. Honda had 4 cars inside the Top 8 at Monaco, thats impressive.
early days but it looks ominous. think he thought he'd get to ferrari. the italian link would have been a good fit but someone - guess who - apparently stopped that. he was always going to be the 2nd in line while marko is there.he did say his expectations weren't high this year but i doubt he thought they'd be as bad as this.

Was he? I remember him saying something like "I got this" towards the end when he was given instructions.

Daniel ruined his own career by moving to Renault.
He Would have been better off trying to manage the political minefield at Red Bull, even if its just on year long contracts until a Ferrari/Mercedes seat opened up. I don't think Renault are going to magically get better in 2021 either. Honda had 4 cars inside the Top 8 at Monaco, thats impressive.
$49m/year x2 isn't it? I think he knew what he was doing.
early days but it looks ominous. think he thought he'd get to ferrari. the italian link would have been a good fit but someone - guess who - apparently stopped that. he was always going to be the 2nd in line while marko is there.he did say his expectations weren't high this year but i doubt he thought they'd be as bad as this.
We're 5 races in to the season. This time last year DR was on track to eclipse his best season in F1. Probably not a stretch to say it ended up being one of his worst.

Plenty of time for things to turn around (I still see Renault regularly taking the 'best of the rest' spot again come the end of the year.)

Was he? I remember him saying something like "I got this" towards the end when he was given instructions.

Was downcast when informed of the failure, kept asking for tips to manage it, then realised he could hold on as the chequered flag grew closer.

$49m/year x2 isn't it? I think he knew what he was doing.

We're 5 races in to the season. This time last year DR was on track to eclipse his best season in F1. Probably not a stretch to say it ended up being one of his worst.

Plenty of time for things to turn around (I still see Renault regularly taking the 'best of the rest' spot again come the end of the year.)

Exactly. No one expected Renault to compete for wins this year. It's a long term gamble. Not saying it will be like Lewis at Mercedes, but Mercedes in his first year also weren't exactly world beaters. Needs a fair bit of luck but I am sure he knows what he's doing. He was never going to win a championship at Red Bull with Verstappen as the other driver.

Exactly. No one expected Renault to compete for wins this year.
But nobody expected them to be 8th in the constructors either. Compared to where they were this time last year, they seem to have regressed (or not improved at the same rate as those around them).
Long season I understand, but I have seen nothing from Renault this season that has me thinking they are set to challenge for a title in 2021.

As far as Hamilton goes, I don’t particularly like him.
As I don’t particularly like most god botherers.
But he is one hell of a driver. I considered him the best of the last five or six years. Simply because when he looks out of it, somehow he turns it around.
As for his comments on this race, yes I’m sure it was one of his hardest wins. Not just because of tyre deg, but because of the week that was.
And one final comment re radio. We only get to hear what the broadcast wants us to here. Anyone honestly think “I’m cruising here, no issues, tyres good, engine good, I’m driving on rails, pipe me some sweet tunes while I drive one handed” is more exciting than “my tyres are shot, how did we choose these tyres, tell me who is behind me and the gap “. Or my favourite “don’t tell me anything”?
I don’t have to like Lewis, but I do appreciate supreme talent when it is constantly put in front of me.

Was downcast when informed of the failure, kept asking for tips to manage it, then realised he could hold on as the chequered flag grew closer.
Last I'll say on this but they came across very differently to me - Lewis was whinging and looking for people to blame, Daniel was trying to make it work. They are very different personalities and clearly I like one far more than the other ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back