Moneyball

Remove this Banner Ad

You think that the value of the two first rounders does not matter?

I would take pick 2 over pick 10 and 11 any day :thumbsu:

It would depend on the year and how deep the draft was.

Melb essentially did something similar for pick 9 and Tyson for pick 2 to GWS which was Kelly.

If Melbourne were still rubbish that trade would be one of the first ones looked at for not working, but Tyson probably helped then get competitive quicker and Salem is a decent player.

Perhaps, but that is a long bow to draw based on one trade purely involving draft picks....

Well we just don’t know yet.

The plan for us was always to hit the draft hard in the first few years then use trading and free agency.

We wanted shiel but missed out due to 2 win seasons not being ideal for attracting ready made stars who want to play finals.

Hopefully a more competitive season in 2019 will make us look better for next seasons shiel or lachie neale

It would depend on the year and how deep the draft was.

Melb essentially did something similar for pick 9 and Tyson for pick 2 to GWS which was Kelly.

If Melbourne were still rubbish that trade would be one of the first ones looked at for not working, but Tyson probably helped then get competitive quicker and Salem is a decent player.
Good call :thumbsu:

I think both teams did well out of that trade, but, I think we probably got more out of it by drafting the elite talent in Kelly.

I understand your point though.

I think sos is hands down the worst list manager in the AFL.

"Hey sos what can we learn from the 3 clubs that were s**t for most of this century."

"Well Melbourne Richmond and Carlton went over the top on valuing youth and draft picks and didn't have enough senior heads to help mentor and train them."

"Ok what's our plan"

"Let's trade out our senior players and get as many draft picks as possible and players who were highly rated in their draft year!"

"Excellent I can't see any downside"

Getting McGovern was a good step in helping to protect Weiteman but they can't stop there. If I were them I would be looking to trade my 2nd round pick every year for about 5 now to try and plug holes with an experience and leadership void.

No way we make finals this year or get close last year without Hibberd Frost Melksham Vince Lewis Cross Hannan etc.
Replace all those blokes with draft picks and maybe there would be a couple of young guns but the rest would be either promise or failures.

It won’t matter if we are trading it.

Say if a Kelly type nominates is, GWS would want 2 first rounders regardless of whether we had 2 or 10 next year. So we would give said club Adelaide’s first next year and our own the year after.

That’s an extremely large assumption considering you weren’t in the running only 12 months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think sos is hands down the worst list manager in the AFL.

"Hey sos what can we learn from the 3 clubs that were s**t for most of this century."

"Well Melbourne Richmond and Carlton went over the top on valuing youth and draft picks and didn't have enough senior heads to help mentor and train them."

"Ok what's our plan"

"Let's trade out our senior players and get as many draft picks as possible and players who were highly rated in their draft year!"

"Excellent I can't see any downside"

Getting McGovern was a good step in helping to protect Weiteman but they can't stop there. If I were them I would be looking to trade my 2nd round pick every year for about 5 now to try and plug holes with an experience and leadership void.

No way we make finals this year or get close last year without Hibberd Frost Melksham Vince Lewis Cross Hannan etc.
Replace all those blokes with draft picks and maybe there would be a couple of young guns but the rest would be either promise or failures.
He did pretty well against young Reid in the Gibbs trade!

Pies play moneyball game sometimes well
Dunn, L Brown, and this year Roughhead
Sometimes bad. Cant remember them but they were Bad some of them. Its hit and miss.

The book Moneyball is a masterpiece by Michael Lewis. Piss funny and even has an Aussie in it to boot!

It is based around inefficiencies in a market using statistics. The term used now has nothing to do with the book. Billy Beane is brilliant and the architect of moneyball. He has never won the Title and not even made the World Series. His protégés do though and they do it with the biggest budgets. The bloke who got his job he turned down in the movie with Boston is now a triple world champ GM. If anyone defies traditional thinking and finds an inefficiency in the value of players it is in the spirit of B Beane, but it ain’t Moneyball

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back