Mongrel - who has it who doesn't ? Does it Matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

A mongrel has the attitude that if you can't win the contest the other guy is gonna pay for it with some physical pain. (I dont mean play dirty by the way, I mean play hard)
Thats the old ethos, make em earn every kick.
Much harder to play that way now with so much scrutiny and so little real one on one matchup.
But that still has to be the attitude and intent.

Ok. I’ve caught up with all the latest posts on this topic.
It’s official. Carlton are the ‘nicest’ team in the league.
We hold no fears for the rest of the comp.
None of our players play with physicality. None would run through a brick wall. None get in the face of the opposition. None take out (legally)an opponent when the opportunity arises.
We have no Maynard. No Toby Greene.

We have no one with a reputation. A presence.

To say Doc, Weiter, Cripps, Cottrell, Cowan, Pitto or McGovern play with mongrel is a stretch. And slightly embarrassing for the club..

None of our players play with physicality. None would run through a brick wall. None get in the face of the opposition. None take out (legally)an opponent when the opportunity arises.

To say Doc, Weiter, Cripps, Cottrell, Cowan, Pitto or McGovern play with mongrel is a stretch. And slightly embarrassing for the club..
There are different forms of mongrel mate.

Exactly.
We've got players that can fire up & play with aggression but it is inconsistent.
Do we have anyone like Hodge, Selwood or even Maynard, that will do what needs to be done to set the tone, consistently? * no.
Doc, Weitering & Cripps, would be amongst those that I'd love to see more of it from.

What are they mate?
You can fire up chatGPT use one of the plug-ins and point it to this thread - it will give you a concise summary and you will learn a lot of stuff about LLM's at the same time. Me? I'm more interested in fine tuning our in house API's for direct hook-ups to some of the larger financial databases available - that is true mongrel - because I am thinking I'll be able to cut my IT budget in half every year for the next three.

PS here is another non random thought I had to include: that little budget exercise is the inverse of doubling productivity as far as cost go ( meaning ) this little mongrel gets a massive structural boost to the bottom line- sans any risk whatsoever.

You can fire up chatGPT use one of the plug-ins and point it to this thread - it will give you a concise summary and you will learn a lot of stuff about LLM's at the same time. Me? I'm more interested in fine tuning our in house API's for direct hook-ups to some of the larger financial databases available - that is true mongrel - because I am thinking I'll be able to cut my IT budget in half every year for the next three.

PS here is another non random thought I had to include: that little budget exercise is the inverse of doubling productivity as far as cost go ( meaning ) this little mongrel gets a massive structural boost to the bottom line- sans any risk whatsoever.
Wowsers!! 👏👏👏

I like to think the mongrel does not come from an individual as much as it does come from our brand. We have set a tone of "this is how we play footy" and to me that involves plenty of mongeral. We're a pretty tough and hard hitting side who loves a tackle and putting their bodies in the contest. It's been more than 20 years since we could say that about a Carlton side. I like to think that our brand of footy, the new Carlton way of how we play the game has plenty of mongeral.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newy, Cotts, Owies, Crippa Boydy,Martin ...
The list goes on..

It's not just those guys. It's a previously perceived weaker players that have stood up and said we want to be a part of it too.

Voss has achieved total buy in and if you don't want it, you won't get a game. It's that simple.

Leading into finals, who's mongrel will come to the fore
:oops:
Ahem well.

Acres has low key within the rules mongrel.

Seems to enjoy making body contact. Knocks blokes over very fairly and pretty regularly. In the Saints game in the last Q he knocked over the saints guy like he was an under 12's player to win the ball and set up a C Curnow goal. I've watched that a few times.

It's not just those guys. It's a previously perceived weaker players that have stood up and said we want to be a part of it too.

Voss has achieved total buy in and if you don't want it, you won't get a game. It's that simple.
Under rated post. This is the exact reason we are where we are now. Players prominent and “lesser” have embraced TEAM. It is 100% a team buy in. All players are valued and some of the bigger egos have realised the importance of their peers to the dynamic.

I think Voss has largely eradicated softness.

Now what has to be done is that any signs of half-stepping, bludging, selfish play are eradicated.

eg#1 I like Kemp's attacking nature - but I seriously dislike watching him constantly give a handball and instead of running a block for the receiver try and run outside the contest to receive again - I hate that it disrespects a team mate who ahs worked to give you an option and all they need is a block to give them free space

eg #2 I dislike watching the same fancied mid who gets a game because injuries run one way at one speed and another way at half the pace - pisses me off that bludging DNA is always there just as bad is he is #1 hospital passer in the team doesn't mind seeing a team mate get crunched - disgusting.

There are some players on the list ( still) who have lifted from jelly to just soft - they wont be on the list in a year's time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back