Mongrel - who has it who doesn't ? Does it Matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

The same Paddy Dow that got his face smashed in for putting his head in the hole?

View attachment 1785643

Love the chest pumping in here, if Dow came charging at any of you, you’d s*t your ****** pants…
One of my PE teachers and coaches at High School was David Glascott. There was nothing of him and whilst courageous resulting in concussions, he wasn't exactly known as "an enforcer". I'll tell you what thoiugh, when he coached us seniors, he went at half rat power but when you got hit by a bump or tackle from him, you stayed hit. It takes a truck load of courage to play AFL, calling players weak is weak in itself in my opinion. Dont forget also nowadays, players need to take a short step every now and then, you will either get suspended or miss games with concussion protocols if you dont.

I'll say it again for the VERY slow readers - other than the true psychos who would rather play fizzed up from bumps & bangs like Robbo and the Brown Dog, every player has put a short one in.............is that clear enough for the indignant "not our paddy" types out there? lovely, as you were...........

This will undoubtedly be an unpopular opinion but love the balanced agression Brayden Maynard brings to his team.

Tough, brutal at times, competitive, ruthless and love the fact that he’s got his mates back at EVERY play. Even when a teammate stuffs up he’s the first to go over and put his arm around him.

Whether you like him or not, reckon the Pies defence stands taller with him in the team. A major part as to why they’ve had such a strong year imo.

*Okay…cue the abuse

um7wk3gxow6ixxcnxj6s.png

This will undoubtedly be an unpopular opinion but love the balanced agression Brayden Maynard brings to his team.

Tough, brutal at times, competitive, ruthless and love the fact that he’s got his mates back at EVERY play. Even when a teammate stuffs up he’s the first to go over and put his arm around him.

Whether you like him or not, reckon the Pies defence stands taller with him in the team. A major part as to why they’ve had such a strong year imo.

*Okay…cue the abuse
Nah, I'm a fan of the way that he goes about it.
He does the dirty work that allows others to shine - you'd love to play with him.

Every single player has flaws, an honest critique of a player's strengthes/weaknesses or situational acts isn't bagging a player, or overly promoting his capabilities

Weitering isn't quick, but is strong in a contested situation

Dow hunts the footy well but is poor in defensive transition

Fisher is nibble and smart, but poor in a contested situation

Etc, etc

*Okay…cue the abuse
Bruz is a beauty… That all other 17 teams would take in a heartbeat…

Blake Acres has it (and, currently, one arm for all intents and purposes)...

Yes. It matters.

Yes. It matters.
Yep, the right kind of mongrel, not the Kozi Pickett type.

Yes. It matters.
Cannot stand the faux tough stuff.
It’s a Docherty dislocation and overhead mark to get us the win, an acres gut run to get and save goals, a Crippa with his nose rearranged and the Walsh gut run get smashed rinse repeat that really gets my juices flowing. That’s tough.
Martin last week with the swinging arm wasn’t my favourite thing (he’s better than that and tougher) and Kosi’s repeated cheap rubbish is the stuff I can’t stand.
Keep winning the footy blues 💙

It’s a Docherty dislocation and overhead mark to get us the win, an acres gut run to get and save goals, a Crippa with his nose rearranged and the Walsh gut run get smashed rinse repeat that really gets my juices flowing. That’s tough.
Martin last week with the swinging arm wasn’t my favourite thing (he’s better than that and tougher) and Kosi’s repeated cheap rubbish is the stuff I can’t stand.
Keep winning the footy blues

Well said mate.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Keep winning the footy blues 💙
Not sure if the examples you used are 'Mongrel' as such - more Brave & Mentally tough.

However, Yes Faux tough is pitiful. Ala Richie Vandenberg losing his Sh!t or Matthews caving peoples faces in or Dermie forever assuming the Hard-Man (funny how all examples come from the Hawks :think: - absolute thugs)

I'd put a classic example of Mongrel down as Michael Voss. Completely hard at the ball, physically intimidating around the contest, sledging to put players off their game, apart from heated scuffles, inside the rules. And as someone else mentioned Brayden Maynard.

These types of players make the the whole team walk taller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back