Player Watch #18 Montana Ham

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney will only lose one player for its final match, but it's a big one, with No.1 pick Montana Ham sitting out. Sofia Hurley graduated last year and Cynthia Hamilton finished up earlier this year.

Ham has been in an unusual situation this year, staying in Melbourne during the week to complete year 12 at Overnewton College, and flying up to Sydney for training when available – even sitting her practice exams at the club.

"We just sat down with Mon at the start and laid out the pre-season and looked at any opportunities when she could come up in blocks," Sydney's AFLW player development manager Lindsey Berne said.

"As soon as she was drafted, it was school holidays, so she spent three weeks up here getting to know the girls and the coaches. The school have been amazing and so understanding, they've been so happy to accommodate as much as possible.

"During pre-season, she'd come up after school on a Friday, do our main session on a Saturday and then fly back down on the Sunday morning. Essentially, she hadn't done much with the team for the whole pre-season.

"When she's in Melbourne, I do a check in with her early in the week, just go over her schedule. She has access to a physio and a strength and conditioning coach, who helped with her football stuff as well, and between us, we'd plan her week, making sure we were across any commitments with study and school.

"She's been super to deal with, she's so diligent and mature. Especially given the decisions around whether to play each week, we've left that up to her. She made the decision pretty early on not to play round 10, as she started her exams on Wednesday."

Montana is super impressive. Juggling everything, likely carrying an injury all season yet still impacting for our team. I'm predicting next year she will be massive for us, given she will be in a more settled situation, injury free and with a season under her belt. Wishing her all the best for her exams.v

Ham, our number one pick at last year's NAB AFLW Draft, averaged 14 disposals and impressed in her seven games with her athleticism, football smarts and ability to break the contest. Her 20 disposals against Port Adelaide in Round 4 saw her earn a Rising Star nomination.

Ham said she is excited to extend her say at the Swans.

"The Swans are my home away from home. Ever since I arrived at the club, I felt like this is where I belong," Ham said.

"It's been a dream come true so far, and I'm excited to do everything I can to play some good footy and improve on what we started in our first season."

Only recently turning 20, she spent her second season managing a stress injury as she continued to grow.
Largely unable to train with her teammates, she was managed through the year, ultimately playing nine of a possible 12 games with little physical preparation during the week.
"I think anyone says that when you get an injury, it really changes your perspective on how you see things. It was a very challenging season, last year, for me, but I was one of the lucky ones. I got to still play games," Ham said.
"I just spent every moment grateful for what I could do, and yeah, it sucks missing out on training, but I think if you take a step back and realised that it's a short-term injury and I had a really good support network around

Remove this Banner Ad

Back