Montana - the undisouted king of the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
Joe Montana, that's Mr Montana to us mere mortals, should really be Sir Joe Montana, stands on the perch with all other GOATS in their respective sports.

The perch would look something like this:

Sir Joe Montana - NFL
Steven Gerrard - Association Football
Maybe Gavin Wanganeen for AFL
Ali, boxing. Federer, tennis. And so on.

Montana transcended the sport. Montana made the Bradys of this world want to emulate him.

Remember in Rocky 6 when they had the computer fight with Rocky at his peak and the then current champion whose name I can't even remember? Well if they did that pitting the 49ers from the 80s with the best team for the Patriots with Brady as QB, then who would win? You guessed right. Montana would. And I'm not even saying this because I'm a 49ers fan. I'm saying it because it's Montana. Any half decent QB can dominate in this era, but try doing it in Montana's era.

Montana is the undisputed king of QBs. Heck even his name sounds cool. Think the Patriots QB name, think Cindy, Marcia, Jane, Greg, etc.

They didn't nickname him Joe Cool for nothing you know.

That is all.

NzzDEC5.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF, another pointless 49er thread started.

Haven't we done the Montana thing to death already?
He took the Super Bowl loss really hard. now he might be trying to shame every 9ers fan into picking a new team as to no longer be associated with people like him.

He took the Super Bowl loss really hard. now he might be trying to shame every 9ers fan into picking a new team as to no longer be associated with people like him.

Well having experienced some of the bottom dweller 49ers fans at Candlestick in the flesh he still has a long way to drop.

Just to prove to you that I’m not trolling and I genuinely believe that Montana is the GOAT, read on.

I don’t think there is any doubt that Michael Jordan is in the top 2 or 3 NBA players of all time. Jordan spent the best part of his career playing for the Chicago Bulls. The Bulls have won 6 NBA championships. The most successful NBA club is the Boston Celtics, who have won 17 NBA championships. So 6/17 x 100 has a rating of close to 35%. The 49ers have won 5 Super Bowls (should have been 6 really), thus 5/6 x 100 is 83%. Clearly it can be seen that Montana has had a bigger impact for the 49ers relative to how many NFL titles the 9ers have won relative to the team with the most NFL titles than Jordan has had with the Bulls relative to the team with the most NBA titles Yes, Jordan won more NBA rings than Montana won NFL rings outright, but the NFL is a lot harder to win and Montana won 4 of them.

Put another way, if one NFL championship is worth 2.83 NBA championships (calculated as 17 over 6 because 17 is the most won in the NBA and 6 is the most won in the NFL), then calculated on a pro-ratered basis, Jordan has his 6 NBA championships but Montana has the equivalent of 11.3 titles, rounded down to 11. So to put it in perspective, Michael Jordan would need to come out of retirement and win another 5 NBA titles just to be level with Montana and be talked about in the same breath as Montana as far as GOATness is concerned in their respective sports. So in conclusion, as good as Jordan was in the NBA, Montana was better in the NFL.

That’s how good Montana was.

Same can’t apply to Brady because of the (*) next to his name.

Thanks.

Montana sits comfortably as the 3rd luckiest QB of all time, well behind Tom Brady at 1st and just behind Terry Bradshaw who's 2nd. As they say it's better to be lucky than to be good.

I can see why people argue he's a top 3 QB ever and why people argue he's around 10th best. Deciding between any QB in the top 10 is like splitting hairs. That's also why as A11dAtP0w3R said, Jerry is the real GOAT. I can also reason with people who say Randy Moss was better. But best and greatest are two different things. And Jerry was THE GOAT.

Plus look at it this way. All of the best QB's ever. Montana, Manning, Favre, Brady, Marino, Elway, etc. etc. There's like hardy any difference between them. As I said it's splitting hairs. Yet some of them have 1 SB appearance, some have 9. Throws the rings debate in the trash. There is no argument to be made that says the talent gap between Brady and Marino is worth 8 Super Bowl's. If anything you'd argue Marino is worth 1 or 2 SB's more than Brady

Remove this Banner Ad

Back