2nds Mooney (moved out of the Yagmoor thread)

What do you think will happen to Mooney at season's end?

• Promoted to seniors

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Retained on rookie list

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Delist

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mooney has been playing a Foreign sport for under 2yrs and all some of you can do is put the knife in!! The club coaches obviously see some potential in him!!

He has a tonne of potential and has his moments of brilliance in the VFL. Mooney stays, reassess where he is at next year then make the big call.

Mooney has been playing a Foreign sport for under 2yrs ...

indeed

...and all some of you can do is put the knife in!!

:confused: Don't see anybody putting the knife in?

Opposition teams don't take it easy on a player because they're new to the game or young or whatever. All players need to earn their spot in merit.

Sure, Mooney needs patience from the development coaches because he is new to the game. But he is still expected to show improvement over that time.

Look at Shae Mac - he started from a low base and showed enormous improvement in his time at the club - he could kick well both sides, he could take a contested mark and kick goals. He could even bounce it on the run reasonably well for a big guy. But he didn't make it in the end.

The club coaches obviously see some potential in him!!

The selection committee haven't seen so much potential this year.

He did enough in his first year to earn a second year. Let's see if he's done enough in his second to earn a third.

I really hope he makes it, I hope he becomes a superstar. I just don't think he will, I think he'll be delisted at season's end.

indeed

:confused: Don't see anybody putting the knife in?

Opposition teams don't take it easy on a player because they're new to the game or young or whatever. All players need to earn their spot in merit.

Sure, Mooney needs patience from the development coaches because he is new to the game. But he is still expected to show improvement over that time.

Look at Shae Mac - he started from a low base and showed enormous improvement in his time at the club - he could kick well both sides, he could take a contested mark and kick goals. He could even bounce it on the run reasonably well for a big guy. But he didn't make it in the end.

The selection committee haven't seen so much potential this year.

He did enough in his first year to earn a second year. Let's see if he's done enough in his second to earn a third.

I really hope he makes it, I hope he becomes a superstar. I just don't think he will, I think he'll be delisted at season's end.
How do you know what the selection committee have or haven't seen?? Hope your not eating your words at season end

How do you know what the selection committee have or haven't seen??

I read the team sheets :confused:

Hope your not eating your words at season end

I hope I am. As I said, I really hope he does well, just as I do for all our players. I just don't think he will.

I find it very difficult to read this post, as the words are so small.
Or maybe I need glasses. :)

Yes there has been java script problems on the site like this over the last few weeks plus double posts.

Since 2010 our list has been cut pretty deeply each year, with some very out-of-the-blue de-listings. Based on this I wouldn't be surprised at all if two of, or even all three of Yag's, Mooney and Paine were gone at the end of the year. Unless Buck's sees them as best 22 in the next two years they will be in trouble, as we could easily pick up better depth from the state leagues via the rookie draft.

I would say he will be retained purely based on his speed and tackling pressure in the forward 50. One more year and if he does not step up to senior level then it will be hard to justify keeping him.

Also, this year he was amongst the 'bests' 4 times compared to 1 last year so good signs.

Not sure how you can justify delisting him.

He's only been in the system for 2 years.

Where else are you going to find in the draft to replace him, a player that has his speed and tackling pressure?

Are you willing to use a top 20(?) pick? Or are you willing to trade off a senior player for a player like that in the current system?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be genuinely astonished if he was delisted. And if he was then I'd be similarly surprised if he wasn't picked up by another club.

He's been 1 of our more consistent performers in the VFL as a second year Irish player and has weapons which make is upside pretty substantial. Why people are eager to delist him (when he sits in a spot on the list which is pretty much designated for project players) after 2 years development is beyond me.

I can see the flaws in his game such as game sense, overeagerness to run at every opportunity but more coaching (better coaching perhaps?) and more games should see this improve. On the basis of what I've seen over the course of this season (I've seen 5 VFL games at various intervals throughout the year) his ability to spot up a target has definitely improved and he's provided a good number of score assists. Add this to his immense defensive pressure (he's had huge tackle numbers in the second half of the year) and ability to do something spectacular shows that he's developing pretty well.

I would agree with Knightmare in that a stint behind the ball may improve his awareness and give him a better appreciation of when he can and can't run with the ball. I'm surprised this hasn't happened already to be honest.

Feel free to call me biased all you want ;)

Personally I don't see it with Mooney. But he was always going to take a while to learn. So if he has a free year on the rookie list then we should honour it. He has been a valuable VFL player at worst.

I don't blame anyone for not seeing it because his bad moments are properly cringeworthy.

But as I've said before, Pearce Hanley was probably a worse player at the end of his 2nd year and most Brisbane fans would have been happy to see him delisted. While I'm not saying Mooney will get to that standard (for me Hanley has always had more of the "look" of a footballer, even when you compare Mooney and Hanley's Gaelic Football careers) but it is definitely something to consider before deciding to delist him.

Mooney is fast but so were Mark Fraser, Jaxon Barham and Black Caviar. Mooney is the 3rd best footballer of that lot. Yagmoore is a better footballer and he's shown very very little to suggest he will make it at senior level. Given Mooney is an iternational rookie I don't have an issue keeping him on the list for another year but he's a mile behind Marty Clarke and he is not going to make it. Mooney's senior games have been the worst games played by a Colliongwiood in the last 2 years.

Needs to put on a bit more muscle and also they need to play him either off HBF or through the midfield, learning the game in starvation valley (forward pocket) is not a good place to develop someone who has never played the game past their 1st year.

Another year as rookie is fine by me as he was always a long term project and I don't see why everyone expects him to be the next Judd in terms of coming out of the blocks like a freak.

Mooney is fast but so were Mark Fraser, Jaxon Barham and Black Caviar. Mooney is the 3rd best footballer of that lot. Yagmoore is a better footballer and he's shown very very little to suggest he will make it at senior level. Given Mooney is an iternational rookie I don't have an issue keeping him on the list for another year but he's a mile behind Marty Clarke and he is not going to make it. Mooney's senior games have been the worst games played by a Colliongwiood in the last 2 years.

Let's not dismiss Black Caviar, she's retired, so won't cost much. Kicking from both back legs is good but I worry about the front left. I guess the problem is she'll struggle to run out 3200m, no tank.

If we can retain him on the rookie list (which I'm almost certain we can) then we should.

I see more future in Mooney than I do in Clarke.

Well there is not much Future in Either.

Mooney has Speed but not much Else

I would like to see Mooney trialed down back.

Sinclair has looked better down back with the way he uses his pace and with Mooney starting to take the game on more this season this may be the best way for him to display his talents once he has 10+ games into him down back and understands the role.

I would like to see Mooney trialed down back.

Sinclair has looked better down back with the way he uses his pace and with Mooney starting to take the game on more this season this may be the best way for him to display his talents once he has 10+ games into him down back and understands the role.

I agree, but for a different reason. I don't understand why we have attempted to teach the game to Mooney and Richmond through playing them in the forward line. The back line is a much better place to see the game unfold and learn to read the patterns.

I agree, but for a different reason. I don't understand why we have attempted to teach the game to Mooney and Richmond through playing them in the forward line. The back line is a much better place to see the game unfold and learn to read the patterns.

Richmond has been playing down back I thought.

It's a coaches answer and you are absolutely right. This is the technical reason why players new to football start down back.

As forwards playing the position, success isso predicated on talent whereas down back you can sometimes get away without having that elite natural talent and still find a way to be effective. As a forward it's so much harder to find the ball and in the case of Mooney stick him down back and he will likely find it more easily.

Richmond has played the game before at a younger age but has struggled badly up forward while down back he's been still not great but better which isn't surprising as an athletic type.

Back