Opinion Moons: How the Tigers can create a flag dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

It's one of the drawbacks of English that we don't have a plural for "you". Gaelic does have it and you can track the high concentration of Irish immigrants to particular parts of the world by the appearance of "youse" - it's spoken in Ireland itself, Liverpool, Boston, New York and Australia.

Thou wilst find that 'you' is actually the plural in English, not the singular. Thou and thee are (were) the singular.

If you listen to all the Carlton supporters jabbering tonight it will become obvious that Latin languages also have the plural 'you'.

Agree to disagree.

Will never be a midfielder IMO. Don't think he has many tricks outside of being a good runner and an average user of the footy. He utilises his trick pretty well but far from a gun.
Well in his favour...
He's still young and learning the trade...
He only has to play his role asked of him within the side...not carry it as a 'gun' mid-fielder...
Who knows what he is capable of after a few more years...hopefully more than just a one-trick fast pony!

Time to restart this thread after the Tiges started to find their mojo again.

I've thought a lot about the potential for Richmond to create a football dynasty to rival Collingwood in the 1920s, Melbourne in the 1950s or Hawthorn in the 1980s. Those those three teams went far beyond what we have seen in the last 20 years from Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn, or Richmond from 1967 to 1980. Those three great teams had a core of players, but most of the team members changed over time, starting as kids at the start of the dynasties and finishing as all time champions when those dynasties ended. Ron Barrassi at Melbourne is one who comes to mine. We had the likes of Bourke and Bartlett in Richmond's great period who fit into the same category.

Watching Saint Dustin these last two weeks is a reminder that a superstar does help to win premierships. I've got two question to the board that go to the heart of how the Tigers can become the greatest team in AFL history: 1. Who replaces Cotchin as captain 2

I stuffed that up before i finished the post above (not sure what key I hit to do that): Just to recap on the questions:
1. Who replaces Cotchin as captain - to provide the role model, motivation and inspiration to the team
2. Who replaces Martin and Edwards as the superstars in the midfield to provide the game breakers we need in the big games?

I am assuming here that we have the back line, forward line and ruck division covered with all the talent we have in the team and are developing in the VFL.

By the way, I've found a superb book on the subject of sporting dynasties: The "Captain Class" by Sam Walker. He researched all the great teams of the last 100 years and concluded that the only common thread through all the great teams was the captains. Trent Cotchin ticks every one of Sam Walker's boxes. Finding the right replacement for the human cannonball will be key to building the Richmond dynasty over the next decade. A lot of other things have to go right as well - but that is the most important.

I stuffed that up before i finished the post above (not sure what key I hit to do that): Just to recap on the questions:
1. Who replaces Cotchin as captain - to provide the role model, motivation and inspiration to the team
2. Who replaces Martin and Edwards as the superstars in the midfield to provide the game breakers we need in the big games?

I am assuming here that we have the back line, forward line and ruck division covered with all the talent we have in the team and are developing in the VFL.

By the way, I've found a superb book on the subject of sporting dynasties: The "Captain Class" by Sam Walker. He researched all the great teams of the last 100 years and concluded that the only common thread through all the great teams was the captains. Trent Cotchin ticks every one of Sam Walker's boxes. Finding the right replacement for the human cannonball will be key to building the Richmond dynasty over the next decade. A lot of other things have to go right as well - but that is the most important.

I was going to post and article based on Sam Walker's work. Absolutely central to the team is captain Cotch. He's a special beast. I'd hope the club knows of Walker's work and looks for a similar profile character to replace Cotch.

1. Vlastuin
2. Bolton and well how the * do we replace Dusty? 🤣🤣

I was going to post and article based on Sam Walker's work. Absolutely central to the team is captain Cotch. He's a special beast. I'd hope the club knows of Walker's work and looks for a similar profile character to replace Cotch.
Look at how well we played when he came back. 😍😍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Vlastuin
2. Bolton and well how the fu** do we replace Dusty? 🤣🤣

Just ask oppo fans...there are dozens of players at least as good as Dusty....

Bolton is the Edwards replacement, lined up ready to go. Vlastuin seems to be a good choice for captain but I think he’s a bit held back by not being a midfielder. Cotchin’s work in the middle is perfect for us. He sets the tone every week. As a rebounding defender, if the mids aren’t firing, there’s not a lot you can really do.
The Dusty replacement will be extremely difficult.

The hate for Cotchin on that breaching restrictions rumor thread is immense. I have a feeling opposition fans also realise how important Trent is to our team

:tearsofjoy:

I don't think there will ever be another dynasty like the OP describes. Those were the days before equalisation.

The best anyone has been able to achieve since the addition of the draft and proper policing of salary caps has been Hawthorn's threepeat a few years ago.

Even the Brisbane side of 01/02/03 was built off the back of the consessions they received with the Fitzroy merger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back