Moorabbin Oval a real chance for a comeback?

Remove this Banner Ad

tails

Debutant
Jul 24, 2002
standing on the hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
given the small crowds the saints pull to games at optus oval, docklands etc, can anyone see the saints going home to Moorabbin Oval (with the proper updates and refurbs) and if they did go back, would anyone go?

Originally posted by tails
given the small crowds the saints pull to games at optus oval, docklands etc, can anyone see the saints going home to Moorabbin Oval (with the proper updates and refurbs) and if they did go back, would anyone go?

****ing oath I'd go! But it won't happen :(

Re: Re: Moorabbin Oval a real chance for a comeback?

Originally posted by Savatage

****ing oath I'd go! But it won't happen :(

What he said!

While the saints won't return to Moorabbin, Springvale play the last three games of the season all at the ground.

Sat August 10th vs Geelong
Sat August 17th vs Port Melbourne
Sat August 24th vs Williamstown

We're in ninth place so have a good chance to make the finals. With our injury list finally subsiding there are quite a few listed saints players running around for the scorpions so it's worth getting down to the club to give them our support.

Moorabin holds about 32000 doenst it? Therefore we could/should play all our games there i beleive, excluding coll, carl, ess, rich and hawthorn. i cant remember the saints drawing more than morrabinns capacity to a match against another melbourne team recently. plus, it is cheaper to hold a mathc there as well, and we would return to the home ground advantage which is non exsistent at colonial.
take the footy back to the suburbs!!

in todays herald sun

ST Kilda Football Club's training ground could get a $10 million facelift.

The club's Moorabbin base would be turned into a sports and housing complex under a proposal by Kingston Council.
The grandstands and the club's administration and training centre would be demolished under the plans.

But a new social club, offices and training rooms would be built for the Saints in the upgrade.

Five housing sites, with space for 46 houses, would be developed around the Linton St oval in place of the grandstand.

An undercover area would be built next to the oval for fans to watch training.

The plans also include a new four-court public basketball and netball centre.

Kingston chief executive Rob Skinner said the oval would be opened up to the public under the plans.

The council hoped an upgrade would ensure the Saints stayed at Moorabbin in the long term, he said.

St Kilda chief executive Brian Waldron said redevelopment would bring the club's home base into line with those of other clubs.

Work on the upgrade, which would be financed by the housing development, is expected to start within two years.

It is expected the Saints would contribute financially towards the project.

Kingston Council owns the Moorabbin Reserve, but leases it to the St Kilda Football Club and Moorabbin Bowls Club.

St Kilda still has a 38-year lease on the ground.

Plans have been sent to 5000 residents for public consultation.

peoples thoughts

Originally posted by tails
in todays herald sun

ST Kilda Football Club's training ground could get a $10 million facelift.

The club's Moorabbin base would be turned into a sports and housing complex under a proposal by Kingston Council.
The grandstands and the club's administration and training centre would be demolished under the plans.

But a new social club, offices and training rooms would be built for the Saints in the upgrade.

Five housing sites, with space for 46 houses, would be developed around the Linton St oval in place of the grandstand.

An undercover area would be built next to the oval for fans to watch training.

The plans also include a new four-court public basketball and netball centre.

Kingston chief executive Rob Skinner said the oval would be opened up to the public under the plans.

The council hoped an upgrade would ensure the Saints stayed at Moorabbin in the long term, he said.

St Kilda chief executive Brian Waldron said redevelopment would bring the club's home base into line with those of other clubs.

Work on the upgrade, which would be financed by the housing development, is expected to start within two years.

It is expected the Saints would contribute financially towards the project.

Kingston Council owns the Moorabbin Reserve, but leases it to the St Kilda Football Club and Moorabbin Bowls Club.

St Kilda still has a 38-year lease on the ground.

Plans have been sent to 5000 residents for public consultation.

peoples thoughts

I knew about this, but thanks for giving me more info about it as per above.

I can only see it as a positive to be honest, can't imagine anyone would oppose the idea. People have been crying out for Moorabbin to be cleaned up & upgraded for years, involving the community in more ways- this can only be a positive.

Moorabbin is now a dump and there is absolutely NO WAY AFL footy will go there again.

As for holding 32,000 - well you know I reckon that the safery standards now wouldn't allow that many people in the ground. Can you remember how much of a squash it was out there?

There are not enough facilities, food stall areas which are still there would be unsafe, and there wouldn't be enough anyway, there is no parking, the seating in some areas of the grandstand is beyond repair, the standing terraces are a legal liability issue because they are all cracked...it would be cheaper to make a loss at Colonial for the next 40 years than it would be to spend money fixing up Moorabbin.

In saying all that...I was only about 10 years old when the suburban grounds finished up. It's a part of footy I reckon I miss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back