Moorabbin Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

The Huggins Stand is definitely close to a complete bulldoze job, not that I want it to happen, but it'd be a serious effort to maintain the integrity of the stand while bringing it up to a decent standard as opposed to building something new and nice there. I guess going to Vic Park, Western Oval, and especially Windy Hill before I checked it out made me less surprised of its current state.

But what is surprising is how recently the Saints were there every day – they were playing in Grand Finals. I couldn't imagine how poor the gym would be. Even just how there's random nets floating around, there's no tidiness in the grandstand, and there's gravel leading from where players'd be parking expensive cars to the oval. Bafflin'.

It is a beautiful little ground though and the most 'suburban' of them all. It reminds me of my old ground in country, coastal WA with the 70s houses all around it and the space. Out of all the Melbourne clubs, is there any other with so much space around their traditional ground? Maybe the Bulldogs but just on one wing. I love that really of-its-time facade and the big, 80s 'Saints' sign at the front. I could not imagine walking into there to watch a game. It's almost disappointing how the stand actually is comparing it to the outside. In fact its entire issue is it looking like an ammos club who don't have two dollars to rub together, if they cleaned up the stand and modernised it, stowed all the old flotsam away, chucked a heap of s**t in the bin, relaid the carpark, and essentially give it the Vic Park treatment it'd be great.

That facade at the entrance to Moorabin is just about my favourite thing from all of the old VFL grounds.

CAM00778_zpse2f0db39.jpg

It's so St Kilda. It's a shame the ground is surrounded by ripped up old bitumen. I always imagined it tucked a little tighter between old weatherboard houses right near the beach... alas...

It might be a good time to go down to Moorabbin for those who haven't. I heard the old stand was due for demolition but with all of this news of the Saints returning, it'll definitely go. I know the above facade is now stupidly gone... who knows what'll be next.

Is there a way to get momentos from sites during demolition? I'd love to grab something small.

It might be a good time to go down to Moorabbin for those who haven't. I heard the old stand was due for demolition but with all of this news of the Saints returning, it'll definitely go. I know the above facade is now stupidly gone... who knows what'll be next.

Is there a way to get momentos from sites during demolition? I'd love to grab something small.

Apparently it will be gone by early next year. I want to souvenir a few things as well. I know they held a garage sale when they demolished the other stand there, hopefully they will again.

When can we expect an artists impression? I may have asked this somewhere else but I can't remember
Pretty keen to see what the finished product inside and out will look like.
If it's all going ahead early next year you would think they'd have one drawn up and decided upon pretty soon.

When can we expect an artists impression? I may have asked this somewhere else but I can't remember
Pretty keen to see what the finished product inside and out will look like.
If it's all going ahead early next year you would think they'd have one drawn up and decided upon pretty soon.
I grabbed these photos from a video that came out during our Best & Fairest awards earlier this year. I'm not sure when they were created so there might be some changes...

With construction expected to begin early next year, I'm sure more detailed photos will come out very soon. :thumbsu:

zKZMoBG.png

vuLSNYX.png

I grabbed these photos from a video that came out during our Best & Fairest awards earlier this year. I'm not sure when they were created so there might be some changes...

With construction expected to begin early next year, I'm sure more detailed photos will come out very soon. :thumbsu:

zKZMoBG.png

vuLSNYX.png
The saints are lucky they didn't have an evil bowls club to deal with!:mad::(:cry::drunk:

So what's happened to tax payer's money at Seaford?
Seaford now has a great training facility for the community. It won't be used much, but it's there.

Do you want a receipt for the thousand dollar lunches politicians are having every day this time of year?

Do you want anecdotes of rich kids scheming Centrelink for the highest threshold?

There are much worse things for government money to be wasted on. So much tax payer-funded stuff is a total rort; a waste of resources enjoyed by the undeserving and the very few. This is very very far down the outrage list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seaford now has a great training facility for the community. It won't be used much, but it's there.

Do you want a receipt for the thousand dollar lunches politicians are having every day this time of year?

Do you want anecdotes of rich kids scheming Centrelink for the highest threshold?

There are much worse things for government money to be wasted on. So much tax payer-funded stuff is a total rort; a waste of resources enjoyed by the undeserving and the very few. This is very very far down the outrage list.
But an outrage nonetheless.

Yeah there is a lot of limp wristed hand wringing outrage from the usual suspects over this on here.

But an outrage nonetheless.
Of course it isn't preferable, but outrage? That's a bit OTT.

Do you think tax exclusively goes to Perth Stadium-like projects, hospitals, roads, schools, and Medicare?

The sad thing is, it's those great things that are always dicked around with. It always takes years for massive projects that benefit millions to get over the line. Even something as essential as a hospital.

Yet pollies get choppers and car rides every single day, and don't forget even pissy old regional ex-mayors get their free $300 lunches at state parliament whenever they want, and nobody bats an eyelid. These expenses are never questioned – the only umm-ing and arr-ing comes from whether to get the squid or the bisque.

It's kind of funny how they've moved back. I know it's their original home and I get that, but they only moved to Seaford in 2010! What a waste of time and money. And what about the sooky players complaining it's too far away? Pretty sure Mulgrave is out in the sticks too. They (the players) just wanted to be able to walk around Brighton and sip lattes.

Teagueeee15 Cheers for the pictures, I reckon it looked better with the tropical theme!

On another note, I guess the Saints would be the last Victorian club left with a social club left in at least the semi-traditional sense, which is a shame. Got great memories of sinking raspberry lemonades in the Carlton Social Club post game pestering the likes of Peter Dean and Braddles while Dad and his mates got pissed.

Teagueeee15 Cheers for the pictures, I reckon it looked better with the tropical theme!

On another note, I guess the Saints would be the last Victorian club left with a social club left in at least the semi-traditional sense, which is a shame. Got great memories of sinking raspberry lemonades in the Carlton Social Club post game pestering the likes of Peter Dean and Braddles while Dad and his mates got pissed.
not sure is its a social club butEssendon still run a restaurant/pokie/sporting/social club at Windy hill that still host Essendon events so but its good for the saints to be moving back to their spiritual home

not sure is its a social club butEssendon still run a restaurant/pokie/sporting/social club at Windy hill that still host Essendon events so but its good for the saints to be moving back to their spiritual home

Cheers bombersfan4000 , completely forgot about that place, drove past it recently. As much as I can't stand Essendon it brings a bit of a smile to my face to think that kind of place still exists.

What's the latest, have they started work on it yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back