Social Science Morally corrupt things you do

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgot about this one - when I lived in a old house outside of Ballarat that had a sort of outdoor toilet (technically it was part of the house but was tacked on along with the laundry, go figure) & it was cold in the middle of the night (as it nearly always was) I would piss in the bathtub which was in the dunnyless bathroom next to my bedroom. I used to do it during the footy to if I was having a few, just to save that extra 15-20 seconds it would take to go outside. I only got caught a few times.
Ballarat, piss, I think I know your cousin.

When we were in Vegas we walked out of a restaurant and didn't pay for dinner. Was US$60. The service was deplorable and I actually asked for the bill and they didn't bring it over after waiting about five minutes so we got up and left.

Did this a few years ago at a pub in Richmond. We asked for the bill, then after not receiving it for 10 minutes my partner and I upped and left. I did feel bad though.

When we were in Vegas we walked out of a restaurant and didn't pay for dinner. Was US$60. The service was deplorable and I actually asked for the bill and they didn't bring it over after waiting about five minutes so we got up and left.

Did this a few years ago at a pub in Richmond. We asked for the bill, then after not receiving it for 10 minutes my partner and I upped and left. I did feel bad though.

I sit in the seats next to the doors on the train that are intended for old people etc.

I'll get on the train in the city knowing I only have to go a couple of stops. If there's no one standing near the doors and those seats are empty (and others are not), I'll sit there. Sometimes people will look at my like I've just insulted their mother or something, but the whole point of those seats is to give them up if someone needs them more than you. If there's no one standing and no one about to board then what is the point of me standing up and the seats staying empty? If by some chance a bunch of oldies or someone in a wheelchair gets on the train then I'm up and out of the way.

I sit in the seats next to the doors on the train that are intended for old people etc.

I'll get on the train in the city knowing I only have to go a couple of stops. If there's no one standing near the doors and those seats are empty (and others are not), I'll sit there. Sometimes people will look at my like I've just insulted their mother or something, but the whole point of those seats is to give them up if someone needs them more than you. If there's no one standing and no one about to board then what is the point of me standing up and the seats staying empty? If by some chance a bunch of oldies or someone in a wheelchair gets on the train then I'm up and out of the way.
Just limp /drag your foot when you get onto train and sit down

I sit on them too.

If someone needed the seat, I'd happily give it up.

If it's empty/not needed, it's free game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sit on them too.

If someone needed the seat, I'd happily give it up.

If it's empty/not needed, it's free game.

Yeah I've honestly never seen anyone crack it if someone takes those seats when they're otherwise unoccupied. Those are the only seats I ever take (and never if there's one person already there), prefer standing over any of the other seats. I'm tall and any other option I'd just be bashing knees with someone.

If an elderly person, pregnant woman, blind person with guide dog, parent with young child, person on crutches/in a moonboot gets on, I vacate the seat before having to be asked. Surely that's how it's supposed to work? Like it wouldn't be unusual for a carriage on a peak hour sardine tin to not have a single person on board with a physical need for a disabled seat. Seems bonkers to leave it empty.

Technically they say that they're for disabled/pregnant/elderly 'on request', so anyone can sit it them if they want.

Personally though, unless I'm squished on the train and I'm tripping over one (which might happen occasionally after the footy) I just stand or find a regular seat

Technically they say that they're for disabled/pregnant/elderly 'on request', so anyone can sit it them if they want.

Personally though, unless I'm squished on the train and I'm tripping over one (which might happen occasionally after the footy) I just stand or find a regular seat

I think it's probably fitting in this thread if you choose to take that seat and won't get up for a heavily pregnant woman with another toddler, or a 90 year old unless they ask, because letter of the law 'they didn't request it'.

'Elderly' is a tough one too. I admit, I'm a bit sexist with this. Assuming they look in pretty good nick otherwise, it's about an 80 year old man, 70 year old woman that I'll automatically vacate for. Any younger than that and I reckon you're risking an alternative 'I'm perfectly fine standing!!' scene.

It's not the people sitting in available priority seating that is the issue, it's the ones that put their head phones on and bury their face in their phone after doing it so that they won't notice someone who actually needs that seat

It's not the people sitting in available priority seating that is the issue, it's the ones that put their head phones on and bury their face in their phone after doing it so that they won't notice someone who actually needs that seat

Agreed, clearly a deliberate move. I listen to head phones and read when I'm sitting on the train, but I still manage to glance up when the train stops and check if there's someone getting on who needs the spot more than I do.

Agreed, clearly a deliberate move. I listen to head phones and read when I'm sitting on the train, but I still manage to glance up when the train stops and check if there's someone getting on who needs the spot more than I do.
+1

People are disgusting though.

I'd rather someone sit down and do that (irrespective of whether anyone needs it more) with headphones in and face down than obliviously stand right in front of the doors.

I once sat on the front seat on the bus which is sort of raised like a high chair. It was fairly busy and an elderly lady got on. A person near me glared at me then asked if I was going to give up my seat. The actual priority seats a metre away had 1 or 2 free, and I don't think a high chair is really the best fit for an elderly person to get into but sure, get on your high horse...

I once sat on the front seat on the bus which is sort of raised like a high chair. It was fairly busy and an elderly lady got on. A person near me glared at me then asked if I was going to give up my seat. The actual priority seats a metre away had 1 or 2 free, and I don't think a high chair is really the best fit for an elderly person to get into but sure, get on your high horse...
That seat is always used by crackheads or weirdos who have their phone conversations on speaker. Normal and elderly people don't use that seat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back