More danger on trains in Melbourne than in London or New York

Discussion in 'Society, Religion and Politics' started by Adz, Sep 11, 2008.

Put it out there
  1. Adz

Adz Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24327935-661,00.html

How will Brumby spin this one?
    :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. drew_j

drew_j Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Fedor Emelianenko
    Hurstbridge the worst? I've traveled that line nearly every day for 5 years including late night on weekends multiple times. I have NEVER seen a crime on this line. This headline should be changed to 'Newspaper preys on readers fear to sell papers!'

3. Inferno

Inferno Moderator

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Charlotte Hornets
    Imo you are more likely to be attacked by the ticket inspectors than anyone else. Out of the lines I've caught Hurstbridge would have probably been the last one I would have guessed to have the highest crime.

Kosky needs to go. She's a joke.

4. evo

evo Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Hehe. Well played sir.

Plus everyone knows 79% of statistics are bull-shyte.

5. Crumpler83

Crumpler83 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Atlanta Falcons
    I agree.

I've caught numerous trains on many different lines over the years, I live around the Pakenham line so I've had plenty of experience with stations like Dandenong, Springvale, Noble Park and Clayton as well and I haven't seen any malicious crimes committed either.

The media is blowing this "Melbourne is the capital of street and public transport violence" angle way out of proportion. I don't think they'll be happy until they have the entire population living in fear and locked in their houses 24/7.

6. mantis

mantis Hall of Famer

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Bombers
    I live on the Lilydale line & have never had any trouble, plus I have a friend who used to live in Cranbourne, who I used to visit a lot, once again no trouble, definitely media beat up. When you consider how many people use PT, the number of bad incidents, would probably be about 1%.

7. Cotchin 9

Cotchin 9 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Ryan ten Doeschate. LFC, Hertha BSC
    Hurstbridge?? you have got to be joking haha, bullshit.

8. KissStephanie

KissStephanie Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Australia/Seahawks/Storm
    The only people I'm afraid of on the MTA New York City subway are those that sing badly, followed by the office and retail workers in midtown Manhattan that stampede on or off either the Broadway line or Brooklyn line trains.

9. rdhopkins2

rdhopkins2 Carpe Diem

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Box Hill Hawks
    I was on the subway in NY last yr and man there were some dodgey types there. Tube in London is pretty safe with Mr Plod on every corner. Was on a train that was hit by a rock which shattered a carraige window on the Glen Waverley line a couple of yrs ago. Not a fun experience...rock and glass whizzing past your face! Was on the Effing line the other week out Preston way and there were druggies coming through the carraige (could smell the grass) asking for money and threatning those who didn't give...me and another bloke stood up after realising what was going on and told them to bugger off at the next stop...which they did after abusing us and leaving us feeling like we were about to be stabbed! lol

Have heard Croydon station is full of druggies but then they say that about Glen Waverley. Frankston /Cranbourne / Pakenham lines are reputably pretty dodgey too!

10. Chief

Chief Admin

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Local paper in Brisbane has a front-page article about Cannon Hill station being the worst station for assaults.

They asked a group of commuters if this scared them and got mostly responses like:

"I've never had any trouble but I'm worried now!"

Seeing as London trains are basically safe apart from the odd beggar or guitar wielding song-mangler you would not have to have too much violence to to have "more danger on trains in Melbourne".

Meaningful numbers, like whether there is an increase or decrease, police response and so on don't sell papers.

11. skilts

skilts Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Lexton, Northcote Park
    Build more freeways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Adz

Adz Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    More damning results for the transport system.

13. Dont be a lemon

Dont be a lemon Suspended

Essendon
    Other teams:
    What tabloid editors want people to ignore is that percentage of the population using trains in London and New York, especially New York, is far higher than the percentage of the population that use trains in Melbourne. So the percentage of users in London and New York who are deadbeats/criminals is lower than in Melbourne.

The article also neglects to mention Melbourne's substantial tram system. I'm also not sure why it mentions Sydney, lame attempt to stir up the "Melbourne v Sydney" rivalry I suppose.

Who reads the Herald Sun anyway (aside from simpletons)? :confused: