We already have
x4 Hobart
x4 Launceston
x4 Canberra
x2 Ballarat
x1 Cairns
x1 Darwin
x1 Alice Springs

I will accept 1 more AND - I would put in a rule saying every team must be an away team in 1 game.

Could certainly be done. But where?

In Vic for example there is Geelong, who have a team (180k people), Ballarat (105k) and Bendigo (100k).

I've argued that a club should look at moving to the outer south-east with the long-term goal of having a similar setup to Geelong. That would be the go. There is literally millions of people out there. Grow it right and you can capture their kids. in 20-30 years time.

You need a friendly local government and preferably a marginal seat like Geelong to get money in.

Should there be more games in regional centres during the premiership season for premiership points to help the growth of regional footy?

Western Bulldogs are playing games at Mars Stadium in Ballarat for a few years now
I agree, Give Geelong 11 home games instead of 9. Geelong is Victoria's largest regional centre

Could certainly be done. But where?

In Vic for example there is Geelong, who have a team (180k people), Ballarat (105k) and Bendigo (100k).

I've argued that a club should look at moving to the outer south-east with the long-term goal of having a similar setup to Geelong. That would be the go. There is literally millions of people out there. Grow it right and you can capture their kids. in 20-30 years time.

You need a friendly local government and preferably a marginal seat like Geelong to get money in.
Geelong = 280K now but projected to be 400K by 2041

So long as Richmond don't play in them, sure.

Well, quite.

The Ballarat situation is a joke. The Victorian ALP porkbarrels and hands over cash to the AFL to secure games in a marginal state regional seat, and the teams sent to play the bulldogs there are all interstate teams. If the AFL wants to accept a Andrews bribe in 2018, why not have two teams from Andrews' state wear the consequences?

I'd be very happy to have games played in regional Vic if they are between two Vic teams.

Last edited:
Should there be more games in regional centres during the premiership season for premiership points to help the growth of regional footy?

Western Bulldogs are playing games at Mars Stadium in Ballarat for a few years now
Yes, I think the Collingwood/Carlton match should be moved permanently to Tennant Creek. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We already have
x4 Hobart
x4 Launceston
x4 Canberra
x2 Ballarat
x1 Cairns
x1 Darwin
x1 Alice Springs
Normally there are only 3 AFL games in Canberra.The 4 in Canberra were a one-off in 2022 to makeup for 2 games played due to covid the year before

Well, quite.

The Ballarat situation is a joke. The Victorian ALP porkbarrels and hands over cash to the AFL to secure games in a marginal state regional seat, and the teams sent to play the bulldogs there are all interstate teams. If the AFL wants to accept a Andrews bribe in 2018, why not have two teams from Andrews' state wear the consequences?

I'd be very happy to have games played in regional Vic if they are between two Vic teams.
Why aren't the WA government that smart?

The atmosphere with the sun setting behind the hills at the GWS vs Sydney pre-season game from Lavington Oval in Albury was exceptional.

That whole area has been renovated with a new grandstand plus secondary training oval. Can now hold around 11 000 people.

Albury/Wodonga has a combined population of over 99 000.

I'm surprised the prospect of a game for points hasn't come up before. The NRL and A-league have done it, with the BBL playing an upcoming game on new years eve.

I'd love to see the Swans play one proper AFL Home game each year in Newcastle.

Should be an absolute priority.

Only major centre in the country with no games.
GWS to hand over their Canberra games to the Hawks once Tas come in. Then play one game in each of Newcastle and Wollongong. The ‘Gong is bigger than Geelong and you will get people coming up from the South Coast which is more sympathetic to AFL. Neither venue is in Western Sydney but both are a hell of a lot closer than Canberra. Venues will need millions spent on them first.

GWS to hand over their Canberra games to the Hawks once Tas come in. Then play one game in each of Newcastle and Wollongong. The ‘Gong is bigger than Geelong and you will get people coming up from the South Coast which is more sympathetic to AFL. Neither venue is in Western Sydney but both are a hell of a lot closer than Canberra. Venues will need millions spent on them first.
Like it .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back