More "governance" issues for Essendon - breaching rookie rules allegations

Remove this Banner Ad

The paperwork got lost during the mass exodus from Windy Hill.

So one of Hird, Evans, Robson, Dank or The Weapon has it?

North have to get special consideration to have Luke McDonald to train with them prior to the draft, as it was known they would take him as a father-son.. But Essendon think they don't need to worry about doing the same thing with 12 possible draftees?

Are these blokes serious?

Good comparison.

Hang on, surely it's common knowledge that all clubs do this? And what's the big deal?

Ahhh, the old "everyone else was doing it, we're just the one team that got caught" excuse... heard that before

Bomber Thompson, after taking on the coaching job:

"The way people are looking at Essendon is not what I wanted them to see," he said.

"We're a pretty proud group, a proud club and we just want to build again.

"We want to build respect, we want our fans to love us.

"We want other fans from other clubs to know they're a professional club, they play a fair game and they're pretty decent people and I don't think they're looking at it that way at the moment."

Does the AFL ever deny permission to train? Isn't it just a matter of submitting the names and getting the kids out there. Or are they trying to dodge responsibility and liability? Or just a plain oversight.

Either way it's not a good look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're assuming Essendon didn't do this deliberately to send a message to the AFL.

Sounds far fetched? Cast your mind back over the way Little and his underlings have reacted over the course of the year - they've had nothing but defiance and disdain for the AFL. I would not put it past these kinds of people to use this latest incident to send a message to Fitzpatrick that Essendon won't be "bullied" as easily in future.

Which would be plain, stupid, dumb idiocy.
Either stupid not to know the rules, or idiots to flout them, even to send a message.

It's only a round of drinks compared to what the Club paid Ashurst and Burnside, but still...

Idiots. Not open for debate.

This is interesting, because jesterwester mentioned a couple of days a go that "Eoin Cameron (abc radio presenter Abc 720 perth) that Darcy Cameron has been training with essendon. He is Darcy's uncle, so pretty good source. Was meant to be hush hush apparently." That last part suggests they knew they were breaking a rule.

All jokes and banter aside ...no matter what, this is not good for their brand 'in the long run'.

Which would be plain, stupid, dumb idiocy.
Either stupid not to know the rules, or idiots to flout them, even to send a message.

It's only a round of drinks compared to what the Club paid Ashurst and Burnside, but still...

Idiots. Not open for debate.

Good thing they don't know about the dozen blokes training with Hirdy in preparation for next years draft eh?

You're assuming Essendon didn't do this deliberately to send a message to the AFL.

Sounds far fetched? Cast your mind back over the way Little and his underlings have reacted over the course of the year - they've had nothing but defiance and disdain for the AFL. I would not put it past these kinds of people to use this latest incident to send a message to Fitzpatrick that Essendon won't be "bullied" as easily in future.

And extending his further, you think this - some inconsequential paperwork oversight that happens every year - just happened to hit the papers this time?

this is a disgrace.

Chief please set up another HT Board immediately where we can really examine this issue in detail.

I'm calling for a board spill

Reckon they should ban Hirdy for another 12 months, just for shits and giggles. That'll get the teeth gnashing down at Windy Hill.

Its about the only punishment that has any effect on the EFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back