More racist abuse for JC

Grahame

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't understand this thread.
Are you insinuating that a BF poster is responsible?

Nope. Not at all. I just wanna make a statement of support.

However ...
if someone wants to stick up for this racist crap then ...

I would like to think that no WCE fans are racist. I’d like to think no AFL fans are racist. I’d like to think no one is racist. But sadly we see again that is not the case. But I’m not pointing fingers.

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm a bit on the fence as to how this is managed. Does it really achieve anything by calling out an anonymous racist troll who has covered his tracks / identity or is it better to ignore it publicly and the club and players get around the affected person and give him their support. Sometimes it's better to starve these d***heads of oxygen.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm a bit on the fence as to how this is managed. Does it really achieve anything by calling out an anonymous racist troll who has covered his tracks / identity or is it better to ignore it publicly and the club and players get around the affected person and give him their support. Sometimes it's better to starve these d***heads of oxygen.
I'm the same, on the one hand what he said was disgusting and he deserves to be shot, but on the other hand he's achieved exactly what he wants which is attention and a massive reaction in the media while he chuckles away to himself somewhere behind a computer screen. Hard to know what the best way to handle it is.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
I'm the same, on the one hand what he said was disgusting and he deserves to be shot, but on the other hand he's achieved exactly what he wants which is attention and a massive reaction in the media while he chuckles away to himself somewhere behind a computer screen. Hard to know what the best way to handle it is.
The AFL tried the 'don't give it any airtime' strategy and it just encouraged it more as people knew they'd get away with it.

While he's getting the attention he wants with this approach, chances are he'll face the consequences. Making a dummy account (which he's done, that account has 0 posts and followers) doesn't stop the club from getting Instagram to give them his I.P address and report him to the police.

The last few people who attacked Ryan and Betts were both found out and banned by their respective clubs.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Honestly I wish the media would stop reporting on every racist remark, it just empowers these trolls. Let the club deal with it internally and not let the media cover it. Remember that Simpsons Halloween episode about the signage that came to life and it took everyone ignoring it for it to stop? Same thing here.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
There's c*nts in society, there's teenagers who think they're being funny, there's attention wh0res and there's just plain racists. If you want to do the Twitter "i'm more outraged than you" post every time something racist is posted elsewhere, we'll be doing these threads every few weeks.

In my 19 years on bigfooty I have never, not once, seen a blatantly racist comment made on here (WCE board, I mostly don't bother with the rest of the website), let alone racist posters being tolerated. Not sure we need "come at me" type posts, I would rather see a positive thread pinned that we as West Coast supporters reject intolerance of race, gender, sexual preference, religion, etc.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The AFL tried the 'don't give it any airtime' strategy and it just encouraged it more as people knew they'd get away with it.

While he's getting the attention he wants with this approach, chances are he'll face the consequences. Making a dummy account (which he's done, that account has 0 posts and followers) doesn't stop the club from getting Instagram to give them his I.P address and report him to the police.

The last few people who attacked Ryan and Betts were both found out and banned by their respective clubs.
I disagree, that was a whole different scenario.
The number 1 rule with online trolls is to ignore them.
But like I said, not really sure what the solution is, but I don't think going on about it in the media is going to stop future anonymous trolls from doing the same thing.

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

Banned by their respective clubs? What if they are not football followers? How does this prevent them from posting in the future? Looks like a sound thrashing with a wet lettuce leaf to me!

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Banned by their respective clubs? What if they are not football followers? How does this prevent them from posting in the future? Looks like a sound thrashing with a wet lettuce leaf to me!
Stripped of their memberships and banned from attending football matches.

No need to be an asshat.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
"Asshat"? Settle down sport. You are moving close to being a keyboard warrior yourself!
Hardly.

He'll be banned from attending AFL matches and have his membership revoked if he has one. Police can also lay charges if they see fit.

If they just swept it under the rug he could keep doing what he's doing with no repercussions. That approach has been tried and it failed.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Plenty enough racists within football to be worrying about the possibility of freelance racists butting in. If your getting racists abuse to an AFL player, 99% guarantee its a footy fan doing it

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it’s good that the club puts out statements of support. The players are only human, and in cases like JC very young, so it’s hard to control the way they react online to such abuse. It would be pretty problematic for the league/club to police the way players react to personal abuse. Least they can do is make it known to the public that they don’t stand for it.

agree the media should leave it alone, but the media will always latch onto s**t they shouldn’t

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
In my 19 years on bigfooty I have never, not once, seen a blatantly racist comment made on here (WCE board, I mostly don't bother with the rest of the website), let alone racist posters being tolerated. Not sure we need "come at me" type posts, I would rather see a positive thread pinned that we as West Coast supporters reject intolerance of race, gender, sexual preference, religion, etc.

You must have Miguel Sanchez on your ignore list then? 😉

Please don't sue me Fivey. 🥰

Aug 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, East Perth

So that's how they find them. I always wondered how they track down fake accounts.

Back