News More than $10m secured from wealthy Geelong supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

I admit to having mixed emotions about this. On one hand, $10m is great for the football club, absolutely fantastic. But on the other hand, where I live right now people die from drinking the water, giving birth or not having an ambulance service. It says something unsettling about the nature of humanity that we can raise ten million dollars for an elite footy club, but good luck doing the same to improve the quality of life in the country next door.

Isn't Australia recognised as one of the strongest supporters of charity, per head of capita, in the world?

I get your sentiment, and don't necessarily disagree. I feel just as strongly about the fact we send millions off-shore, rush to disaster zones etc at a moment's notice - which makes me proud don't worry - yet we have 100's of thousands homeless on our own streets, hospitals struggling for funding and families unable to feed their kids.

It's a cruel, selfish, cynical, hypocritical world.

Sport is like a drug. It removes us, releases us, just for a brief while, from the reality of life.

Anyhow, I'm on a soapbox and OT.

Moving on......

Isn't Australia recognised as one of the strongest supporters of charity, per head of capita, in the world?

I get your sentiment, and don't necessarily disagree. I feel just as strongly about the fact we send millions off-shore, rush to disaster zones etc at a moment's notice - which makes me proud don't worry - yet we have 100's of thousands homeless on our own streets, hospitals struggling for funding and families unable to feed their kids.
For foreign aid, no we are definitely not. I am not sure about how we rank with charitable donations.

I agree with regard to the homeless crisis (acc. Google, just over 100,000), but people over here do die of dysentry on a regular basis, to pluck one example. There's an element of Why Not Do Both? to the question, but... a football club?

remember these guys are loaded- why couldn't they have donated big to charity after?
Hopefully they would, it's just that any organisation working over here would love an operating budget of 10 mil. For what it's worth, I'm not sure what the donation statistics are like for head offices of organisations back home.

For foreign aid, no we are definitely not. I am not sure about how we rank with charitable donations.

I agree with regard to the homeless crisis (acc. Google, just over 100,000), but people over here do die of dysentry on a regular basis, to pluck one example. There's an element of Why Not Do Both? to the question, but... a football club?

I see where you're coming from, but it might be a discussion for another day. People can get real political and animated over such a discussion. Only takes one or two to jump in, and then..... :eek:

How long have you lived there?

I see where you're coming from, but it might be a discussion for another day. People can get real political and animated over such a discussion. Only takes one or two to jump in, and then..... :eek:

How long have you lived there?
Just since November, moved here to take up a new job. Beautiful countryside, humid weather, slightly charged Australia-Timorese political relations (there was a protest with 1000s of people outside the embassy earlier today)...

Just since November, moved here to take up a new job. Beautiful countryside, humid weather, slightly charged Australia-Timorese political relations (there was a protest with 1000s of people outside the embassy earlier today)...

I was in Bali not long ago, so have some idea of the humidity :drunk: and the countryside :thumbsu:

What's the resentment towards Australia?

Will you be there long term?

I was in Bali not long ago, so have some idea of the humidity :drunk: and the countryside :thumbsu:

What's the resentment towards Australia?

Will you be there long term?
Undersea gas and oil between Timor and Australia. Basically there's a lot of oil and gas in the strait. The issue is that they are within Australia's official international borders, but far closer to Timor's landmass.

Unfortunately not. The contract was going to run until at least Nov 2017, with an option to mutually extend to Jul 2018, but the organisation has run out of money with DFAT cutbacks (and no this is nothing to do with charitable donations because we're not an Oxfam, a WVI or any other organisations that receive large donations from personal or corporate charity), so I will be back at the end of May this year.

I will be in Bali from Friday! Down in Seminyak, then fly out Tuesday. Any good spots in Seminyak to, say... watch the footy?

You sure about that?
Charitable donations by country
20141211_Charity.jpg

Foreign Aid by country:
23px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png
European Union – $86.66 billion
  1. 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
    United States – $31.55 billion
  2. 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
    United Kingdom – $17.88 billion
  3. 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
    Germany – $14.06 billion
  4. 23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
    Japan – $11.79 billion
  5. 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
    France – $11.38 billion
  6. 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
    Sweden – $5.83 billion
  7. 21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
    Norway – $5.58 billion
  8. 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
    Netherlands – $5.44 billion
  9. 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
    Canada – $4.91 billion
  10. 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
    Australia – $4.85 billion

You sure about that?

Foreign Aid by country:
23px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png
European Union – $86.66 billion
  1. 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
    United States – $31.55 billion
  2. 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
    United Kingdom – $17.88 billion
  3. 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
    Germany – $14.06 billion
  4. 23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
    Japan – $11.79 billion
  5. 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
    France – $11.38 billion
  6. 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
    Sweden – $5.83 billion
  7. 21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
    Norway – $5.58 billion
  8. 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
    Netherlands – $5.44 billion
  9. 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
    Canada – $4.91 billion
  10. 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
    Australia – $4.85 billion
Depends on how you measure it... as every good Uni student trying to manipulate their lab results knows ;)

I think the fairest way is really as a proportion of Gross National Income - in which case our foreign aid budget does lag well behind a lot of Europe.
oecd-foreign-aid-chart.jpg

However, I do appreciate that Northern European countries do have a high-tax, high-services society that enables this as well.

Edit: I should add that this is from 2013, Foreign Aid has since been cut by about 30% by the Abbott govt.

Last edited:
Undersea gas and oil between Timor and Australia. Basically there's a lot of oil and gas in the strait. The issue is that they are within Australia's official international borders, but far closer to Timor's landmass.

Unfortunately not. The contract was going to run until at least Nov 2017, with an option to mutually extend to Jul 2018, but the organisation has run out of money with DFAT cutbacks (and no this is nothing to do with charitable donations because we're not an Oxfam, a WVI or any other organisations that receive large donations from personal or corporate charity), so I will be back at the end of May this year.

I will be in Bali from Friday! Down in Seminyak, then fly out Tuesday. Any good spots in Seminyak to, say... watch the footy?

So the Timorese believe they should get a cut of the proceeds?

Do you have a job to return to?

Can't recommend anywhere in Seminyak to watch the footy in particular.......a nice place, but zipped around all over the place on the scooter, swimming, shopping, clubbing etc to take enough notice. Do take notice however of the little bars that advertise 'bloody cold beer'.....you'll get beautiful cold beer in those joints. Actually went to the waterpark up in the mountains (can't remember the name) and after a parasail, a go on the biscuit etc, I was disappointed to find the beer was lukewarm. Had a good, polite, jovial conversation with the manager and educated them on the need for 'bloody cold beer' for the aussies! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Statistics mean nothing. I'm sick of politicians and political groups twisting them to suit themselves so I never trust them. Like does Military aid count? There are plenty of arguments for it counting and plenty for it not counting. I hate all the spin all the time and the politicising of everything. Twisting is all they do.

At the end of the day, one just needs to do what they can to donate to groups they feel worthwhile. Here, some people have donated to groups they feel worthwhile and good on them. Its a group that does provide benefit to the community.

Well done to the people donating the money, they have made a valuable contribution to an organisation that provides many benefits to the community.

Statistics mean nothing. I'm sick of politicians and political groups twisting them to suit themselves so I never trust them. Like does Military aid count? There are plenty of arguments for it counting and plenty for it not counting. I hate all the spin all the time and the politicising of everything. Twisting is all they do.

At the end of the day, one just needs to do what they can to donate to groups they feel worthwhile. Here, some people have donated to groups they feel worthwhile and good on them. Its a group that does provide benefit to the community.

Well done to the people donating the money, they have made a valuable contribution to an organisation that provides many benefits to the community.
See post immediately above yours.

Brilliant news. Surely the club has to honor the name, 'Costa' in some permanent way. We laud Cook, but as president and even after he vacated the position Frank Costa has been massive for the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back