List Mgmt. Morning, Joe! (was The Daniher (Probably Mega-)thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Too weird..how funny will it be with Joe D roaming the 50..

To have him and Hipwood able to roam up the ground and McStay to spend a lot more time on a wing to mark from D50 cannot be underestimated. Huge asset if he's fit.

Regardless of all the opinions about McStay and Witho, Fages continues to talk up that everyone on the list has a part to play. Thats the basis of a champion team.

I reckon the supporters of both those players would far outnumber the naysayers / detractors on this forum, but you probably wouldn't get that impression just by reading the posts, because the ones with the axe to grind are the ones that do the posting in greater number.

I reckon the supporters of both those players would far outnumber the naysayers / detractors on this forum, but you probably wouldn't get that impression just by reading the posts, because the ones with the axe to grind are the ones that do the posting in greater number.

The anti McStay consortium is definitely a very vocal minority

Replying to my own post? Yes. Can't get this reference out of my head.

SandPeople.gif

I’m having trouble feeling excited about this trade as I’m worried about how bad his body is. Trying to pin my hopes on the lions medical staff getting him up and about and remembering how a number of years ago he carved us up at a game at Docklands amongst the feral bombers supporters. Just not feeling the excitement and love about the trade at the moment. Perhaps post Covid lockdown syndrome and a full moon in Melbourne has got to me this week. Hope I’m proved wrong.

Our head of medicine Peter Blanch worked with him at Essendon in 2016 so knows him well. I am confident the deal would never have gone through without his blessing.

To have him and Hipwood able to roam up the ground and McStay to spend a lot more time on a wing to mark from D50 cannot be underestimated. Huge asset if he's fit.
Getting Hipwood and Daniher to work together without detracting from each other's game will be the challenge. Suspect Hipwood will be encouraged to move up field even more than he currently does.

Having watched the get excited video the overwhelming thing that struck me was his contested marking, I know his kicking can be hit or miss (he will fit right in) but boy the Gabba will be rocking if he can take one of those hangers each game! Thank goodness we don't have as long as normal to wait for the season to start this year...

I went through afl stats pro and watched this years games.
His leap still there just seemed timing was off a little.

I think a forward line of Daniher, McStay and Hipwood work well Coleman defensive small
Then rotate Rayner, Charlie, Berry, McCarthy, Zorko, Clugga, Cockatoo and Bailey through forward line and midfield.

I went through afl stats pro and watched this years games.
His leap still there just seemed timing was off a little.

I think a forward line of Daniher, McStay and Hipwood work well Coleman defensive small
Then rotate Rayner, Charlie, Berry, McCarthy, Zorko, Clugga, Cockatoo and Bailey through forward line and midfield.
Will stretch a few teams especially the Power if they don't add to their back height.

Will stretch a few teams especially the Power if they don't add to their back height.
Matching up on Hipwood and Daniher will be very difficult match ups for anyone, then you throw in Charlie and look out + Keidean Coleman with another off season into him.

All comes down to our midfield though, if they can get on top like they did in most games this season we will be even more potent scorers than we have been the last 2 years.

Our midfield isn't super polished, so having some tall timber up forward so we can just bang it in will be great. Linc and Rayner add to our marking power down there, and if it hits the ground we have talented players at ground level to crumb and pressure.

2 players 200cm that can mark the ball is going to really stress out some defences. McStay might get a more favourable match up in some games going forward as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All comes down to our midfield though, if they can get on top like they did in most games this season we will be even more potent scorers than we have been the last 2 years.

The two losses against the cats were a slight worry, just got bashed around the contests trying to match them, the sliding door feature by Damian Barret said that our midfield looked like boys against men in the prelim. Hard to say if a big off season at the gym will fix that or is there something else missing.

The two losses against the cats were a slight worry, just got bashed around the contests trying to match them, the sliding door feature by Damian Barret said that our midfield looked like boys against men in the prelim. Hard to say if a big off season at the gym will fix that or is there something else missing.
The lack of continuity that 1 game in 4 weeks will bring.

Correct.

I can’t believe this hasn’t been a greater talking point in the AFL-verse

perhaps if it was two Vic teams eliminated after ‘earning’ the additional week off, it would be front and centre 🤔
Fages instantly dismissed it as an excuse on the podcast...then spent about five minutes explaining what a problem it was.

8 players 22 or under against the oldest, most experienced team in the history of AFL. I guarantee if demographics were flipped it would have looked something similar.

Didn't look like boys against men in the qualifying final, and that was against the eventual premiers.

Still can't believe our bunnies won the flag....

Getting Hipwood and Daniher to work together without detracting from each other's game will be the challenge. Suspect Hipwood will be encouraged to move up field even more than he currently does.

Or vice-versa

At his peak, Daniher was almost unstoppable as a roaming CHF. Just take a look at some of his highlight reels.

He's a beautiful field kick.

Daniher lace out to Hipwood is just as possible

8 players 22 or under against the oldest, most experienced team in the history of AFL. I guarantee if demographics were flipped it would have looked something similar.
I remember a lions games vs Geelong in the early 2000’s where our bigger bodies destroyed the Geelong side. i remember Voss hitting Cameron Ling and and wondering how Ling didn’t shatter into a thousand pieces

another big off-season for all the young guys and those 50/50 contests start to turn in our favour.

We got monstered twice by Geelong in the M/F this year.

I thought the first time was a one off and we were tired with the poor fixturing. Not blaming the week off the second time. They worked out how to play us and had the players to implement it. We were already worried otherwise we would never have brought CEY in.

So we need a bit more grunt in the M/F which either means rapid improvement from Rayner ,McCarthy ,Bailey and others in the team who could take M/F minutes, Robertson, Smith or anyone else of similar ilk on our list to step up , and hopefully an addition to the list who can step straight in . i.e Cockatoo or someone else.

You can only do the best with what you have ,I think we did that this year and we know where we have to improve to see out a finals series and give ourselves a shot at a flag.

I remember a lions games vs Geelong in the early 2000’s where our bigger bodies destroyed the Geelong side. i remember Voss hitting Cameron Ling and and wondering how Ling didn’t shatter into a thousand pieces

another big off-season for all the young guys and those 50/50 contests start to turn in our favour.

IIRC we went unbeaten V Cats from about 1995-2005/6

Didn't look like boys against men in the qualifying final, and that was against the eventual premiers.

Still can't believe our bunnies won the flag....

Definitely although you have to remember that Tigers were under the pump as well against them in the second quarter and eventually their run and star power prevailed as Cats were worn down playing their super controlled style, just wonder if we tried to match them too much in the contested footy instead of taking more risks which got us the win late in that famous clash in 2019. I’m sure our boys will be better for it next season but something to think about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back