List Mgmt. Morning, Joe! (was The Daniher (Probably Mega-)thread)

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Merv Keane on Sam Newman podcast says take it to the bank that Joe will be flying at the Lions. Physical condition not the issue, had to get away from Essendon. He should know, was involved in their recruiting department for 11 years.
I can confirm he needs fairly significant work on his body over the holiday period. Merv is a great man but rarely gets involved in player welfare unless its a new draftee.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can confirm he needs fairly significant work on his body over the holiday period. Merv is a great man but rarely gets involved in player welfare unless its a new draftee.

In terms of injury recovery workor just getting his fitness and strength levels up?

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Told this morning by a fanatic AFL follower that he has a mate that has been hanging around coo paroo watching some of the boys doing some pre-pre-season training. Among them is Daniher and his feedback was the big Joe was tearing it up.
Wouldnt say he is "tearing it up" unless you mean crying in pain but, he is definitely ahead in his preparation for season 2021 & his body is gradually becoming match hardened to allow him to start the season fully fit for the first time in a while. He still has a way to go with a couple of niggles he's had for a long time now. Although all the boys are officially on holidays, they do regularly train as a group and work out in the gym each week together. The feeling inside the group is exciting & expectation to perform in 2021 is high.

Wouldnt say he is "tearing it up" unless you mean crying in pain but, he is definitely ahead in his preparation for season 2021 & his body is gradually becoming match hardened to allow him to start the season fully fit for the first time in a while. He still has a way to go with a couple of niggles he's had for a long time now. Although all the boys are officially on holidays, they do regularly train as a group and work out in the gym each week together. The feeling inside the group is exciting & expectation to perform in 2021 is high.

Huge opportunity in 2021. If fit, we have all the pieces we need to win it. Crazy to think how much has changed since 2016.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Huge opportunity in 2021. If fit, we have all the pieces we need to win it. Crazy to think how much has changed since 2016.
To quote Lethal 'nothing is ever as bad as it seems and nothing is ever as good as it seems'

Hopefully that means Richmond fall of the cliff next year but doubt it

To quote Lethal 'nothing is ever as bad as it seems and nothing is ever as good as it seems'

Hopefully that means Richmond fall of the cliff next year but doubt it

That may be so, but really not sure how we'll lose any games in 2021.

Might be wrong, damn I hope I am. But I feel we’re one A grade mid short of where we need to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If only we had some young guns ready to play a role in 2021.... Hmm.... ;)

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Any chance Mighty Lions is actually Dom Fay by a different name?

I just don’t see Ely Smith being the difference between a prelim and a flag...

Look at it from a different perspective. If - as you said - we need bother A grade mid to be a genuine flag fancy then all we really need is one of McCluggage, Berry etc to step up and one of Robertson, Smith or Joyce to do the same, albeit at a lesser level. That gives us another gun midfielder as a FT mid and a younger talent taking that of Berry/Cluggs spot rotating through the midfield.

Look at it from a different perspective. If - as you said - we need bother A grade mid to be a genuine flag fancy then all we really need is one of McCluggage, Berry etc to step up and one of Robertson, Smith or Joyce to do the same, albeit at a lesser level. That gives us another gun midfielder as a FT mid and a younger talent taking that of Berry/Cluggs spot rotating through the midfield.
And/Or Zorko back to his best after a down year with the Achilles?

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Might be wrong, damn I hope I am. But I feel we’re one A grade mid short of where we need to be.

Personally I think the pieces are already in the team and just need to incrementally improve. McCluggage is very close to AA already. Berry has top shelf potential and I think could take another step next year. Rayner the other who can really impact in the middle and has shown some progression. Bailey improved a great deal this year and should continue to improve next year with confidence that he gained this year. I also really like Coleman delivering the ball into the 50 and if we can structure things to get him more of the ball we will be better off.

Then there are the guys on the outside who will be looking for a chance. Personally I am expecting to see a lot more of Robertson next year. Berry Jr looked pretty good when he got the chance this year and Joyce got a big write up from the coaches. Ely Smith is also in the background and there is still hope for him.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yer, I'm expecting Mitch Robinson to be passed this year, Zac Bailey to play a more permanent role on the wing, of the young guys Deven Robertson is the one I expect to be able to step in and perform almost straight away, if he doesn't Tom Joyce or Brandon Starcevich could spend more time as a mid and Noah Answerth takes his spot down back. Ely Smith and Tom Berry I am less confident in at this stage.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd like to see Berry get some more consistency and Zorko bouncing back after a tough year.

Then if Rayner and Bailey can continue to improve and provide more impact and Robertson and ESmith can put pressure on we should be ok.

First string; Neale, Lyons, McCluggage, Zorko, Berry

Rotations; McCarthy, Rayner, Bailey, Ah Chee

Depth; CEY, Matho, Robbo

Developing; ESmith, Robertson, Cockatoo

Potentially; McFadyen, Joyce, TBerry

Any chance Mighty Lions is actually Dom Fay by a different name?

If you change around the letters in mighty lions and substitute a few letters and then ignore the leftover letters, mighty lions is an anagram of Dom Fay. Spooky.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tom Joyce is definitely one you can see break into the side next year, especially after the big wrap from the coaches. He missed most of his
draft age year through injury, and started his last pre-season on a modified program. Was on track to be WA captain and a potential first round pick before the injury setback too, with the main knock as an inside midfielder being his size (which at 180cm isn't a big issue really).

Would be a handy to have a break out year (or two) from one these young mids.

I'd like to see Berry get some more consistency and Zorko bouncing back after a tough year.

Then if Rayner and Bailey can continue to improve and provide more impact and Robertson and ESmith can put pressure on we should be ok.

First string; Neale, Lyons, McCluggage, Zorko, Berry

Rotations; McCarthy, Rayner, Bailey, Ah Chee

Depth; CEY, Matho, Robbo

Developing; ESmith, Robertson, Cockatoo

Potentially; McFadyen, Joyce, TBerry
My main hope is that we do not persist with CEY as the chop out and take preference with these young fellas you have mentioned.
They have mountains of development in comparison with CEY where what you see is what you get. 👎
Also hoping guys like Robbo and Birch are pushed out as the year progresses.

Tom Joyce is definitely one you can see break into the side next year, especially after the big wrap from the coaches. He missed most of his
draft age year through injury, and started his last pre-season on a modified program. Was on track to be WA captain and a potential first round pick before the injury setback too, with the main knock as an inside midfielder being his size (which at 180cm isn't a big issue really).

Would be a handy to have a break out year (or two) from one these young mids.
Really like what I have seen of Joyce.
Didn’t get to see anything this year obviously 🙄
But towards the end of last year (2019) he was looking impressive, plays wth aggression and has some explosive ability by anticipating and taking the ball on the move and breaking through a pack.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My main hope is that we do not persist with CEY as the chop out and take preference with these young fellas you have mentioned.
They have mountains of development in comparison with CEY where what you see is what you get. 👎
Also hoping guys like Robbo and Birch are pushed out as the year progresses.

I think CEYs best is still quite good but he mainly played forward in the games he got which really doesn't suit him.

Probably our best option if Lyons was injured.

I think CEYs best is still quite good but he mainly played forward in the games he got which really doesn't suit him.

Probably our best option if Lyons was injured.
The problem that I see is, if he remains the best option?
Because if he does, then we don’t go any further than we did this year.
With the Natural development of the younger boys, they will overtake him, but they need to be played to take that next step.

Back