Society/Culture Morrison Makes It Official, Whatever The Cost, We Will Not Surrender To China's Threats

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
True. But a major reason we go there is because China got wealthy of our trade and business travel to China is very substantial.

I'm all for not trading with China, but that wouldn't stop anything. There's just too much international travel to stop these viruses, wherever they come from. We couldn't even stop a far less contagious and far more fatal Ebola coming from Africa to the USA.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Palmer, every five minutes on the TV his ads had the ALP allowing a Chiese airstrip in WA. Palmer won the election for the Libs and he was big on China attacks. Funded by a Chinese company payments. Irony.

Could have had an impact in WA, but it would have had little to no impact elsewhere.

I don't think Clive (or Pauline) actually won any seats for the LNP FWIW - what they did was increase the margins.

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
images.jpeg-1.jpg

Scott Morrison musters enough confidence to cross the border and meet with that pesky commie Mark McGoWan

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Are you suggesting that they're stockpiling before closing the metaphorical door on iron ore trade?

Supply and demand,,Brazil is Brashit at the moment and they are the only other major supplier. So in WA we have taken it upon ourselves to produce more and sell it for more. China needs to keep building ,they have a burgening middle class,hundreds of millions of them who want to spend and they don't want to buy cheap s**t which is not a common thing in the world.

The best country to look at when dealing with China would be Japan.They have all the same issues with China that the west does probably more so and China is their number one trading partner yet they manage to navagate a course and maintain a very beneficial trading relationship.Scomo should look and learn before mouthing off.

No country can keep it hidden for long. Brazil literally closed down its economy for a while when it got out of control there. China was in panic when it first happened. Italy, Spain went into total lockdown for over a month. Hide it or ignore it, and after a while it will show up like pink hotpants at a funeral. Could they be trying to keep the numbers down like America, Brazil, and other countries have tried. No doubt. But they can't do that in a big way.
Perhaps they only report deaths that are exclusively of covid, no comorbidities at all, whereas most of our deaths were from compromised health conditions overwhelmed by the virus.

They are currently buying our Iron Ore like there is no tomorrow its at $136 a tonne today
Too cheap under the current circumstances. We need to ramp up the price a few hundred percent to make up for shortfalls in other commodities.

Supply and demand,,Brazil is Brashit at the moment and they are the only other major supplier. So in WA we have taken it upon ourselves to produce more and sell it for more. China needs to keep building ,they have a burgening middle class,hundreds of millions of them who want to spend and they don't want to buy cheap sh*t which is not a common thing in the world.

The best country to look at when dealing with China would be Japan.They have all the same issues with China that the west does probably more so and China is their number one trading partner yet they manage to navagate a course and maintain a very beneficial trading relationship.Scomo should look and learn before mouthing off.
Japan has not put themselves in the firing line by advertising their “war crimes”to the world and expecting - what, exactly?

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Perhaps they only report deaths that are exclusively of covid, no comorbidities at all, whereas most of our deaths were from compromised health conditions overwhelmed by the virus.

Too cheap under the current circumstances. We need to ramp up the price a few hundred percent to make up for shortfalls in other commodities.

Japan has not put themselves in the firing line by advertising their “war crimes”to the world and expecting - what, exactly?

Japan has had historical issues with China.So what ? Much much much more importantly Japan has current issues with China and China is their number one trading partner by a long way .Trade greatly benifits the population of Japan it's the way the world of reality works. They are able to have disagreements and disputes even territorial disputes and maintain a mutually very beneficial trading relationship.I think that's my point.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong
Could have had an impact in WA, but it would have had little to no impact elsewhere.

I don't think Clive (or Pauline) actually won any seats for the LNP FWIW - what they did was increase the margins.
Palmer had no intenetion of winning seats. He admitted he worked to get the Libs in. I saw that ad in Victoria ad nauseum.

Pauline hansan the same, but different goal. Elections are publicity, PLUS a nice little money maker for her. If she gets enough votes nation wide she gets to keep some of the lovely dough her suckers raised for her. One Nation is a private company she owns. She has no interest in actually winning seats. Disgusting woman imo.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Palmer had no intenetion of winning seats. He admitted he worked to get the Libs in. I saw that ad in Victoria ad nauseum.

Pauline hansan the same, but different goal. Elections are publicity, PLUS a nice little money maker for her. If she gets enough votes nation wide she gets to keep some of the lovely dough her suckers raised for her. One Nation is a private company she owns. She has no interest in actually winning seats. Disgusting woman imo.

Maybe I should have expressed myself more clearly.

I meant more that the UAP/ONP increased the 2PP margin for the LNP more than anything else. They didn't actually swing a seat by themselves.

I'm a Queenslander, so I'm all too familiar with Pauline, unfortunately. An opportunistic snake to the core.

Japan has had historical issues with China.So what ? Much much much more importantly Japan has current issues with China and China is their number one trading partner by a long way .Trade greatly benifits the population of Japan it's the way the world of reality works. They are able to have disagreements and disputes even territorial disputes and maintain a mutually very beneficial trading relationship.I think that's my point.
Yes but you have to remember export types too.

Japan’s biggest exports to China in 2019 according to tradingeconomics.com were machinery, electronics, cars and optical equipment. These are things Japan is known to be the best in the world at, as well as things which would be required for the most part to keep economies running.

The reason our iron ore hasn’t dropped off is the same. China can’t get it anywhere else and they need it to keep their economy running.

The students will be interesting. Real argument for the same things there -Chinese education institutions can’t keep up and we are one of the best in the world at both quality and international student experience, plus we are close physically which none of the US, Canada or Europe are.

China controls ~90% of the world's rare earth mineral production - a few years ago Japan detained a Chinese sailor in Japanese territorial waters, China suddenly halted all rare earth mineral exports to Japan. Japan wilted very quickly.
China have form in using their trading power to solve international disputes, and Japan have found themselves in a situation akin to ours in the past.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I was questioning how intervening RE HK benefited Australia

It wasn't meant to.
I think for the West as a collective to turn on China and hit them where it hurts

They well might, like I said, just coz some nations that are being bullied aren't part of the 5 eyes doesn't mean those 5 eyes don't have vested interested in those nations not being bullied. They're trading partners in some cases.

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
China controls ~90% of the world's rare earth mineral production
The key word is production. In recent years production has increased outside of China.

They still hold a powerful position but by using trade embargo as a weapon they've forced the Japanese and others into other markets. Australia has plenty of REMs but due to production issues (pollution) it is much lower than it could be.

CCP will source iron ore from other parts of the world once production comes online. For now they need to buy from Australia.

Back