Morrison's new censorship laws - the bigfooty edition

elbarton

All Australian
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
BRB trying to craft the perfect post to attract the attention of Trent McKenzie’s lawyer’s, so the Dulmial Gun gets my email address, the post is enough to go to court but not severe enough to result in a damages payout, afterward it’s all good, we become online penpals

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Isn't this already a thing?

It is for the really wealthy.

It's more a thinly veiled 'anyone should be able to sue anyone for defamation' law but it's literally just a 'pollies are thin skinned and can't deal with criticism and being a public profile' law.

Defamation lawsuits are literally for rich people to step on poor people.

Vagabond0

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Australian defamation laws are all about well resourced people accusing their critics of defamation (even if it is the truth) and then sending them broke with legal costs from drawn out court cases.
Isn't that the legal system in a nut shell. Got more money than the other party keep going until they can't afford to front up any more and accept your terms.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
It is for the really wealthy.

It's more a thinly veiled 'anyone should be able to sue anyone for defamation' law but it's literally just a 'pollies are thin skinned and can't deal with criticism and being a public profile' law.

Defamation lawsuits are literally for rich people to step on poor people.

Yep, exactly.

The idea that Dutton had his reputation damaged by a relatively unknown twitter account making a comment no different to any number of others. To make a normal person pay $35,000 for that is an absolutely shocking use of the legal system.

"Rape apologist" isn't a clearly defined term. Certainly some of Dutton's behaviour and comments would fall into the definition of rape apologist for a lot of people, with stuff like downplaying the seriousness of alleged offences and victim blaming. Far worse things are written on twitter about Dutton himself and literally every politician every day. The fact that Dutton won was purely down to who could bring the higher priced team of lawyers to the table.

If Labor weren't so utterly useless at getting an effective message across they could run a campaign on this abuse of power, and a robust Federal ICAC, and win comfortably. It's an indictment on Labor that the Coalition has been able to behave this way with impunity for so long.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Good_Luck_I_m_Behind_7_Proxies.jpg

and I was hacked.

Yep, exactly.

The idea that Dutton had his reputation damaged by a relatively unknown twitter account making a comment no different to any number of others. To make a normal person pay $35,000 for that is an absolutely shocking use of the legal system.

"Rape apologist" isn't a clearly defined term. Certainly some of Dutton's behaviour and comments would fall into the definition of rape apologist for a lot of people, with stuff like downplaying the seriousness of alleged offences and victim blaming. Far worse things are written on twitter about Dutton himself and literally every politician every day. The fact that Dutton won was purely down to who could bring the higher priced team of lawyers to the table.

If Labor weren't so utterly useless at getting an effective message across they could run a campaign on this abuse of power, and a robust Federal ICAC, and win comfortably. It's an indictment on Labor that the Coalition has been able to behave this way with impunity for so long.

I'm not so sure this is a problem localized entirely to the coalition. There is a reason why they haven't bought this up as something to campaign for. They support it just as much as the Coalition does. In the great words of Russ, "What you walk past is what you accept."

They're all just as ****ed.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
I'm not so sure this is a problem localized entirely to the coalition. There is a reason why they haven't bought this up as something to campaign for. They support it just as much as the Coalition does. In the great words of Russ, "What you walk past is what you accept."

They're all just as f’ed.
The Gospel according to Saint Russell :thumbsu: :cool:

PrisonBars4life

Club Legend
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So you're saying I can't claim Peter Dutton's mother mated with a potato and Scomo s**t his pants?

Back