Most advantaged and disadvantaged clubs

Who is the most advantaged team in the league?

• Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 310 44.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Westcoast

Votes: 113 16.1%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 184 26.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 74 10.5%
  • Giants

Votes: 45 6.4%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Essendon

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong, easily.

Then Collingwood.
14 away games outside our home city every year plus all finals. Every other club has 10 or less. Most melbourne clubs only have about 5-7 away games a year.

Geelong not only suffers the biggest disadvantage in the afl but one of the biggest disadvantages in world professional sport.

End thread.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
14 away games outside our home city every year. Every other club has 10 or less. Most melbourne clubs only have about 5-7 away games a year.
Get to play a huge number of away games in Melbourne, plus get home games at a boutique stadium.

Absurd advantage.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Most teams have advantages one way or another it’s just a matter of how well they can take advantage of the advantages

Interstates have the advantages of having true home grounds that can used to great effect

Big 4 Melbourne clubs can generate a lot of off field support through sponsors and generally larger fan bases

Geelong have all the advantages of an interstate club despite being located in Victoria

But like everything you need to take the good with the bad a home ground advantage is great but travelling especially come finals time or the actual grand final can sway the game in favour to a vic club

And the big four clubs because of increased size individual players can come under increased scrutiny or the media microscope more so than other clubs

For me the most disadvantaged would be clubs like North Melbourne and the Bulldogs who don’t have the luxuries of the bigger clubs in Melbourne and could be a harder sell for free agents or the financial benefits that other Melbourne based clubs are afforded
We played the least supported club in the afl today in melbourne and they had overwhelming home support that influenced the umps and momentum. Its a disgrace to not consider geelong an away team in melbourne.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong with their tailored rulebook written by Whateley and Hocking.

Rofl.

I remember a few years ago the ‘headf***ed’ term was being bandied about by Hawks fans regarding the Cats.

Richmond after basically 30 years of actually having their mouths sh@t in by Geelong, finally just gain a semblance of superiority with their huge 3-2 run in our last five meetings, and still their fans seem completely obsessed by us.

#headf***ed

Get to play a huge number of away games in Melbourne, plus get home games at a boutique stadium.

Absurd advantage.
I know right, Essendon's advantage of being a Dockland's tenant club but enjoying the benefits of the MCG is ridiculous

We played the least supported club in the afl today in melbourne and they had overwhelming home support that influenced the umps and momentum. Its a disgrace to not consider geelong an away team in melbourne.

Says more about Geelong supporters than anything else
It’s an hour away... most supporters travel about that every week to see a game

Rofl.

I remember a few years ago the ‘headf***ed’ term was being bandied about by Hawks fans regarding the Cats.

Richmond after basically 30 years of actually having their mouths sh@t in by Geelong, finally just gain a semblance of superiority with their huge 3-2 run in our last five meetings, and still their fans seem completely obsessed by us.

#headf***ed

It's actually amazing and you spelled it out as well, we've won one meaningful game against you in a million years and you blokes are still crying two years later.

If we are so head ****ed why do you blokes care so much?

Best home ground advantage in the world basically guarantees you finals and when you do have to play away it's a stroll up the road.

A better comparison would be if Essendon got to play a significant amount of away games at Marvel and had their own boutique ground for home games.
But Marvel is your home ground.
Don't you remember when it was being built Essendon made a deal to get a better return than any other club to be based there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually amazing and you spelled it out as well, we've won one meaningful game against you in a million years and you blokes are still crying two years later.

If we are so head ****** why do you blokes care so much?

Best home ground advantage in the world basically guarantees you finals and when you do have to play away it's a stroll up the road.
Playing 9 games at home is the best home ground advantage in the world?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

If we are so head ****** why do you blokes care so much?

Mate, I don’t. I was actually glad that if we were going to dip out of the finals, your mob ended up winning.

Only since then your supporter base has done such a sub-Nickelback standard job of being normal, rational supporters that it’s borderline psychotic.

Fact:

We have a home ground.
Everyone does

Fact: we play 9 matches there a year.
No one else does.

Fact: we are the only side that plays home finals on an away ground against sides THAT ARE ACTUAL TENANTS OF THAT GROUND.

Instantly that fact right there cancels out basically any perceived advantage we get.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Wrong. We have travelled 6 times a year since 2012.
Wrong. Collingwood have actually travelled 5 times a year since 2012.
Have a look for yourself, although I doubt you will:
https://afltables.com/afl/teams/collingwood/allgames.html#2019

Also, Collingwood have only once travelled to Perth twice in the home and away season (2002).

The last time Collingwood travelled to Adelaide twice during the home and away season was in 2006.

Collingwood get looked after by the AFL.

Playing 9 games at home is the best home ground advantage in the world?

Yes mate you don't have to travel but carry on like an interstate team.
You get to play on an oddly shaped ground that is unlike anything else in the league giving you the leagues best home ground advantage by far and you play a fair share of games in Melbourne so are never truly away.

You start every season with at least 8 wins in the bag.

I know one of you will go on about the mcg and marvel tenants but how many of our 'home' games are actually neutral considering the opposition.

Can you tell me the one about the time the big scary opposition fans booed you at your home final. I love that one.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
But Marvel is your home ground.
Don't you remember when it was being built Essendon made a deal to get a better return than any other club to be based there
Marvel is a shared home ground.

Geelong get the Hawks/Tassie treatment, but if Hawks played way more games at Tassie.

Back