Most advantaged and disadvantaged clubs

Who is the most advantaged team in the league?

• Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 310 44.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Westcoast

Votes: 113 16.1%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 184 26.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 74 10.5%
  • Giants

Votes: 45 6.4%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Essendon

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we start a most delusional fans thread Geelong would win that too

Mate, I don’t. I was actually glad that if we were going to dip out of the finals, your mob ended up winning.

Only since then your supporter base has done such a sub-Nickelback standard job of being normal, rational supporters that it’s borderline psychotic.

Fact:

We have a home ground.
Everyone does

Fact: we play 9 matches there a year.
No one else does.

Fact: we are the only side that plays home finals on an away ground against sides THAT ARE ACTUAL TENANTS OF THAT GROUND.

Instantly that fact right there cancels out basically any perceived advantage we get.

You have 9 Games with genuine home ground advantage, only the interstate sides have more with 10 each.

Then when you travel it's a quick trip up the road.

Tell the last point to Adelaide or west coast supporters.

Mate, I don’t. I was actually glad that if we were going to dip out of the finals, your mob ended up winning.

Only since then your supporter base has done such a sub-Nickelback standard job of being normal, rational supporters that it’s borderline psychotic.

Fact:

We have a home ground.
Everyone does

No one else does.

Fact: we are the only side that plays home finals on an away ground against sides THAT ARE ACTUAL TENANTS OF THAT GROUND.

Instantly that fact right there cancels out basically any perceived advantage we get.

Fact: No other Victorian club has a boutique home ground that offers an interstate like home ground advantage and shonky dimensions

I know right, Essendon's advantage of being a Dockland's tenant club but enjoying the benefits of the MCG is ridiculous
Please. We play MCG tenants at the MCG, Dockland tenants at Docklands and Interstate teams at Docklands, the most neutral venue in the AFL.

We basically have no home ground advantage.

You have 9 Games with genuine home ground advantage, only the interstate sides have more with 10 each.

Excepting the grand final obviously where it’s acknowledged that no side has the right to hone advantage. And if I’m being honest I’d have no problem with them changing that.

Richmond Hawthorn and Collingwood playing their away game against Geelong at home

This was never a problem when you were flogging us, remembering out of those 3 teams we are still the only ones who regularly travel to Geelong.

But the moment we started winning playing at the g was a big problem

Oh and when we travel for a quick trip up the road?

It’s to the opposition’s home ground or did that slip you by?

Fact: No other Victorian club has a boutique home ground that offers an interstate like home ground advantage and shonky dimensions

Richmond Hawthorn and Collingwood playing their away game against Geelong at home

I actually think there are advantages to that. The Cats get more game-time/experience at the G. It might somewhat balance out the fact Kardinia has such different dimensions. We usually only play like 2 home and away games at the G, and before we moved, that meant not a lot of experience at the G, which is so different to Subi.

It would be interesting to see if the Cats MCG record got worse if they played fewer games there.

Oh and when we travel for a quick trip up the road?

It’s to the opposition’s home ground or did that slip you by?

That's my point you get the massive advantage of the interstate teams and home grounds without the disadvantage they have of getting on a plane.

Lol at the dimensions things.

“Yeah I’ve been playing AFL my whole life and I get paid $500k a year to train and do nothing but kick, catch, and hand pass a football but we went to this ground the other week where the boundary was 10m closer than I expected and I inexplicably f***en forgot how to drop the ball onto my boot and suddenly had hands like tampons.”

Lol at the dimensions things.

“Yeah I’ve been playing AFL my whole life and I get paid $500k a year to train and do nothing but kick, catch, and hand pass a football but we went to this ground the other week where the boundary was 10m closer than I expected and I inexplicably f***en forgot how to drop the ball onto my boot and suddenly had hands like tampons.”

I love the fact that this thread started pretty decent with people having a decent discussions about the advantages and disadvantages of both opp clubs until a few Geelong bay posters come along a just want to act like Geelong is the most hard done by club in the comp

Wrong. Collingwood have actually travelled 5 times a year since 2012.
Have a look for yourself, although I doubt you will:
https://afltables.com/afl/teams/collingwood/allgames.html#2019

Also, Collingwood have only once travelled to Perth twice in the home and away season (2002).

The last time Collingwood travelled to Adelaide twice during the home and away season was in 2006.

Collingwood get looked after by the AFL.

Yeah your correct. I was confused due to Essendon travelling 6 times this year. Only a couple of Melbourne clubs travel 6 times per year. If Vic clubs didn't sell games they would all only travel 5 times.

I love the fact that this thread started pretty decent with people having a decent discussions about the advantages and disadvantages of both opp clubs until a few Geelong bay posters come along a just want to act like Geelong is the most hard done by club in the comp

Well if someone’s going to argue that we are the most advantaged, why the f*** wouldn’t you expect for people to argue the opposite?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the fact that this thread started pretty decent with people having a decent discussions about the advantages and disadvantages of both opp clubs
Started out as a circlejerk formed by the typical types talking about how blessed Geelong is.
until a few Geelong bay posters come along a just want to act like Geelong is the most hard done by club in the comp
Geelong posters came along to argue against the reasons provided as to why their club is the most advantaged (read: not to claim they're the most disadvantaged).

Well if someone’s going to argue that we are the most advantaged, why the f*** wouldn’t you expect for people to argue the opposite?

Maybe people could actually admit they have some advantages along with disadvantages like all clubs do

Yeah your correct. I was confused due to Essendon travelling 6 times this year. Only a couple of Melbourne clubs travel 6 times per year. If Vic clubs didn't sell games they would all only travel 5 times.
The AFL should balance who plays the 6th interstate game though. We've done it for the past 4 seasons.

Fact:

We have a home ground.
Everyone does

No one else does.

Fact: only one team in the AFL gets to play home games at their training ground.

Read it again. It went wayward when flogs say Geelong getting only 9 home games puts them at an advantage and it tends to come from supporters whose clubs don't have to travel down the road. They are too stupid to realise that if Geelong advantage is great due to having a home ground then not travelling there equates to having an advantage over teams that have to play in Geelong. It's an own goal of epic proportions.

Maybe people could actually admit they have some advantages along with disadvantages like all clubs do
The competition is evidently unbalanced and I think it is inherent that it most consistently swings towards favoring the large Melbourne-based clubs, who are conferred a range of competitive benefits, due to such factors as financial stability guaranteed by built-in supporter bases and their location, lack of travel comparative to interstate sides, frequency of games played at the MCG (where the GF is played) as opposed to interstate or smaller Victorian venues, and greater opportunity to draft, recruit and keep players as a result of the comp being fundamentally Victorian and the appeal of the Melbourne location.

Interstate fans are often justified in making the argument that the competition is Vic-biased, but I think more accurately, the competition is and has always been biased towards the large, historically successful Melbourne clubs. Now, within the last twenty years, smaller Vic clubs and interstate clubs have been able to pull back a share of success within an AFL system focused on implementing rules and regulations to impose equality, which have required clubs to build sides on a level playing field through talent identification and development, astute business practices relative to size and the positioning of staff off-field in the right places. Clubs that had benefited from being able to flex their financial muscle power and popularity in Victoria to gain a competitive edge began to struggle as a result. The boys' clubs running the places as holdovers from yesteryear assumed they could continue to defy the rules, because they had the supporters and made the money, so Carlton thought there'd be no worries rorting the salary cap and Essendon didn't think anyone would dare bring down the hammer on them for doping their players.

Last edited:
Back