Most advantaged and disadvantaged clubs

Who is the most advantaged team in the league?

• Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 310 44.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Westcoast

Votes: 113 16.1%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 184 26.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 74 10.5%
  • Giants

Votes: 45 6.4%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Essendon

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong is an interesting one. They get the most advantage in the home and away season, as they get the benefit of an interstate side + the benefit of a victorian side.

BUT in finals they are probably the most disadvantaged given they don't even get to use their favourite ground for home games.
What rubbish. Biggest home and away disadvantage in world sport.

It takes a staggering amount of cognitive dissonance to play away games against a side from another city at your home ground and somehow believe that the other side is massively advantaged.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
If we start a most delusional fans thread Geelong would win that too

You have 9 Games with genuine home ground advantage, only the interstate sides have more with 10 each.

Then when you travel it's a quick trip up the road.

Tell the last point to Adelaide or west coast supporters.
Westcoast play 12 at home ground, as do portadelaide, Adelaide, Dockers

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Most disadvantaged - WCE and Freo. Largest travel burden. End of discussion.

Most advantaged - "Big 4" MCG tenants.
The travel burden is a real burden.

But you still get 12 games a season at your home and only one a neutral game. Geelong gets 7-9 games at home. You also get home finals where geelong doesnt.

Geelong most disadvantaged. West coast and freo would be next.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The travel burden is a real burden.

But you still get 12 games a season at your home and only one a neutral game. Geelong gets 7-9 games at home. You also get home finals where geelong doesnt.

Geelong most disadvantaged. West coast and freo would be next.

Tell that to Freo & the AFL, no finals in Geelong.

Westcoast play 12 at home ground, as do portadelaide, Adelaide, Dockers

2 of them would be against their cross town rivals yes? Making it 10 true home ground advantages.

And the travel factor nullifies a lot of the advantage.

Geelong get the massive home advantage without the travel disadvantage

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
14 away games outside our home city every year plus all finals. Every other club has 10 or less. Most melbourne clubs only have about 5-7 away games a year.

Geelong not only suffers the biggest disadvantage in the afl but one of the biggest disadvantages in world professional sport.

End thread.
or you could look at it like this:

-you get a true 100% home ground at kardinia park where you have almost the biggest home-ground advantage in the whole league(available for discussion with optus stadium)

-you still get 6 games at the MCG. Compare this to the saints(3), bulldogs(2), north melbourne(1).
yes 6 is low compared to the magpies or whoever but playing 6 H/A games on the G compared to only 2 or 3 is a big advantage

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
We play games at Deakin University's Waurn Ponds campus? News to me.

Kardinia Park is Geelong's training ground, the same ground they get to play their home games on.

No other club gets to play home games on their training ground, which is why Geelong's home ground advantage is the greatest in the league.

Anyone who doesn't understand the advantage from playing games on the same ground that you train on has never played footy before, pure and simple.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
West Coast. WA is great for footy so they have access to good talent. Also have a go home factor of players wanting to return to WA and not having to choose from 8-9 clubs. Freo is a rabble so players instantly prefer WC.

Collingwood a close 2nd for obvious reasons.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Kardinia Park is Geelong's training ground, the same ground they get to play their home games on.

No other club gets to play home games on their training ground, which is why Geelong's home ground advantage is the greatest in the league.

Anyone who doesn't understand the advantage from playing games on the same ground that you train on has never played footy before, pure and simple.

Few clubs if any get to train on their match day venue full time, Waurn Ponds for Geelong, Lathlain for the Eagles .... home ground advantage is such an outdated concept from the state League days, though the Tiges flicked Punt Road in the 60s.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
West Coast. WA is great for footy so they have access to good talent. Also have a go home factor of players wanting to return to WA and not having to choose from 8-9 clubs. Freo is a rabble so players instantly prefer WC.

Collingwood a close 2nd for obvious reasons.
If we're a rabble what does that make you?

Few clubs if any get to train on their match day venue full time, Waurn Ponds for Geelong, Lathlain for the Eagles .... home ground advantage is such an outdated concept from the state League days, though the Tiges flicked Punt Road in the 60s.
Tiges were flicked off punt road...the road widened and the ground was no longer playable.

On SM-J530Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Tiges were flicked off punt road...the road widened and the ground was no longer playable.

On SM-J530Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

but it is playable today?

The point being home ground advantage is a concept that belongs in days well past, e.g Neil Balme was years away from making his debut with Subi.

but it is playable today?

The point being home ground advantage is a concept that belongs in days well past, e.g Neil Balme was years away from making his debut with Subi.

Not for AFL. It lacks the facilities needed to host an AFL standard game (similar to the dogs currently), and the lights are vfl not AFL grade I believe

Agreed & understood, but going back to the 60s, did they go or were they pushed ... academic only.

Pushed

The oval was an egg shaped ground, because the land of the stand on the eastern side of the ground and the pocket were taken for the road expansion

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
So now you are saying the fact you travel every other week has no impact on west coast? That should be the last we hear of any complaining

Tough concept for you, OK, I'll try.

Here we go:
And the travel factor nullifies a lot of the advantage.

To which I reply:
Its not that simple ....

Not sure how you conclude I'm saying the fact you travel every other week has no impact on west coast?

So no, whatever your conclusion is please dont try to dress it up as my opinion.
Is it your opinion or ...

Travel is an issue as in where you play your games, both physically & the crowds attracted & to simply claim the travel factor nullifies 'home ground advantage' is a tad too simplistic IMHO.

Best I can do.

Last edited:

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
So geelong is the only Vic team to put millions of their own money for their stadium...forgive me if I'm wrong but how much debt have other Vic teams gone into?

Victorian Government owns Kardinia Park. They paid for the upgrades.

Back