Most advantaged and disadvantaged clubs

Who is the most advantaged team in the league?

• Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 310 44.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Westcoast

Votes: 113 16.1%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 184 26.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 74 10.5%
  • Giants

Votes: 45 6.4%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Essendon

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
Why is this a troll? It seems pretty obvious the Collingwood are far and away the most advantaged club for a number of reasons. Do you feel threatened that people can have an honest discussion about that fact?
The fact that you refer to it as a fact says more than I need to.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thread has descended into who plays where/travel/home ground advantage/MCG access. This all plays a part, but there are other tangible advantages which help certain clubs enormously. AFL promoted games, Channel 7 promoted games, National Free to air exposure, Prime Time, National exposure on Football programmes. All of this promotion and exposure leads to greater interest from sponsors/supporters/club engagement and relevance. This is where the biggest 5 or 6 Victorian clubs plus probably Sydney get the biggest leg up.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Says more about Geelong supporters than anything else
It’s an hour away... most supporters travel about that every week to see a game

Richmond play a home game at Marvel, have 100,000 members only get 40,000 to a ground with a capacity of 55,000 against Sydney who have a good Melbourne following.

Seems they're disembarking that Tiggy train aleady.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To illustrate my point above, in the first 8 rounds of the season Channel 7 has nationally telecast (on some occasions a local game has gone into some markets on FTA through the Foxtel feed) Collingwood 7 times, Essendon and Hawthorn 6 times, Richmond Geelong and Sydney 5 times each. Only reigning wooden spooners Carlton have missed out on the gravy train with 2. To put this in context though reigning premiers West Coast who arguably are the biggest club in the country have also had 2 nationally Televised FTA games thus far.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
If we start a most delusional fans thread Geelong would win that too

You have 9 Games with genuine home ground advantage, only the interstate sides have more with 10 each.

Then when you travel it's a quick trip up the road.

Tell the last point to Adelaide or west coast supporters.

How do the non-Victorian club's only get 10 home games each? I would've thought that 22 divided by 2 was 11? If they get a double up local Derby / Showdown etc then they have 12 games on their home deck, 11 home and 1 away.

They could always sell home games like the Tigers, forcing clubs like Geelong to play their own home games on their opponent's home turf in Melbourne to make up the contractual shortfall.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
To illustrate my point above, in the first 8 rounds of the season Channel 7 has nationally telecast (on some occasions a local game has gone into some markets on FTA through the Foxtel feed) Collingwood 7 times, Essendon and Hawthorn 6 times, Richmond Geelong and Sydney 5 times each. Only reigning wooden spooners Carlton have missed out on the gravy train with 2. To put this in context though reigning premiers West Coast who arguably are the biggest club in the country have also had 2 nationally Televised FTA games thus far.
Vic Clubs get guaranteed 0 games on FTA.
SA/WA: 19 Live + 3 Delayed
NSW/QLD: 22 Live

So when VIC clubs dominate the Ch7 games, it's because VIC clubs on foxtel games don't get shown in VIC like they do in other states. AFL needs to balance giving Interstate sides national exposure, and VIC sides any exposure.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Vic Clubs get guaranteed 0 games on FTA.
SA/WA: 19 Live + 3 Delayed
NSW/QLD: 22 Live

So when VIC clubs dominate the Ch7 games, it's because VIC clubs on foxtel games don't get shown in VIC like they do in other states. AFL needs to balance giving Interstate sides national exposure, and VIC sides any exposure.

Lol you reckon this would change if SA/WA gave up their FTA arrangement? And it's not Vic Teams per se, it's consistently the ones outlined above that get looked after, plus whichever one of the smaller ones is the predetermined flavour of the year, which this year is the Demons.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Kardinia Park is Geelong's training ground, the same ground they get to play their home games on.

No other club gets to play home games on their training ground, which is why Geelong's home ground advantage is the greatest in the league.

Anyone who doesn't understand the advantage from playing games on the same ground that you train on has never played footy before, pure and simple.

I don't think you quite understand what's being said here...Geelong train at Deakin University, at Waurn Ponds. I should know, my partner works there. You can keep restating the same point over and over again, doesn't make it true.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
By the way, whoever thought starting a thread on a topic like this was a good idea, did not think this through entirely.

This thread is an absolute dumpster fire

How do the non-Victorian club's only get 10 home games each? I would've thought that 22 divided by 2 was 11? If they get a double up local Derby / Showdown etc then they have 12 games on their home deck, 11 home and 1 away.

They could always sell home games like the Tigers, forcing clubs like Geelong to play their own home games on their opponent's home turf in Melbourne to make up the contractual shortfall.

I'm talking home ground advantage not total games the 2 games against their fellow tenants are neutral since both teams play there and not a true advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Victorian Government owns Kardinia Park. They paid for the upgrades.

Geelong paid more than their fair share for Docklands by being forced to play home games there when Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs were all selling off home games for big dollars.

Geelong were forced to give up their own home games to make up the shortfall. That's why Geelong were only getting 7 or 8 home games a year at Kardinia.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong paid more than their fair share for Docklands by being forced to play home games there when Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs were all selling off home games for big dollars.

Geelong were forced to give up their own home games to make up the shortfall. That's why Geelong were only getting 7 or 8 home games a year at Kardinia.
Been said many times here. Dont waste your time, oppo fans wont listen because it goes against their misconceived notions

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Lol you reckon this would change if SA/WA gave up their FTA arrangement? And it's not Vic Teams per se, it's consistently the ones outlined above that get looked after, plus whichever one of the smaller ones is the predetermined flavour of the year, which this year is the Demons.

Do you think Port and there supporters would be prepared to give up 7-8 FTA games a year for more national games?

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do you think Port and there supporters would be prepared to give up 7-8 FTA games a year for more national games?

Probably not because we know that we would still get * all National FTA games, and there my friend, outlines the inherent advantage the 6 biggest Vic teams get and continue to get. And it's not even the fact we are a smaller club, reckon West Coast probably wouldn't fare much better.

As I said on the first page, the AFL designed to promote, profit and propagate the 6 biggest Victorian clubs and the Swans (As the AFL covet the money and corporate connections from the country's most important city).

Their inbuilt endorsed advantages are real and enduring.

Knox Harrington

Club Legend
May 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Advantaged:
GWS and Gold coast for all their handouts.
West coast and Adelaide being the first one team states and claiming all the good support in those states.
Disadvantaged:
Essendon set back years for a conspiratorial witch-hunt.

Last edited:
Probably not because we know that we would still get **** all National FTA games, and there my friend, outlines the inherent advantage the 6 biggest Vic teams get and continue to get.

I'm not sure the massive chip on your shoulder is really an advantage to any clubs, Vic or otherwise.

And it's not even the fact we are a smaller club, reckon West Coast probably wouldn't fare much better.

As I said on the first page, the AFL designed to promote, profit and propagate the 6 biggest Victorian clubs and the Swans (As the AFL covet the money and corporate connections from the country's most important city).

You really just can't adjust to the idea that Port went from being a powerhouse in the SANFL to a minnow in the AFL, can you?

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not sure the massive chip on your shoulder is really an advantage to any clubs, Vic or otherwise.

You really just can't adjust to the idea that Port went from being a powerhouse in the SANFL to a minnow in the AFL, can you?

We are talking about advantages little man. I am outlining advantages certain clubs get that others don't. National Free To air coverage, prime time matches, AFL promoted stand alone games are all advantages which help promote clubs and help them get sponsorships. Keep up you parochial tit.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Probably not because we know that we would still get **** all National FTA games, and there my friend, outlines the inherent advantage the 6 biggest Vic teams get and continue to get. And it's not even the fact we are a smaller club, reckon West Coast probably wouldn't fare much better.

You haven't answered the question. As it stands because of the TV deal that gives non victorian clubs 22 games on FTA it means only Thursday, Friday and Public Holiday games are Nationally televised games. If the non Victorian clubs gave up the right to 22 FTA games then we would then have Saturday Night and Sunday afternoon as Nationally televised games.

So would you be willing to give up a minimum of 7-8 FTA games a year to facilitate this?

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So geelong is the only Vic team to put millions of their own money for their stadium...forgive me if I'm wrong but how much debt have other Vic teams gone into?

What absolute horseshit. The etihad clubs paid for Marvel stadium to owned by the AFL.

We are talking about advantages little man. I am outlining advantages certain clubs get that others don't. National Free To air coverage, prime time matches, AFL promoted stand alone games are all advantages which help promote clubs and help them get sponsorships. Keep up you parochial tit.

Meanwhile, getting EVERY game of yours on FTA into your home market is meaningless, right?

Odd how the advantages you get don't matter, but everything you can spin into a disadvantage, however tiny, is another huge example of the great Vic conspiracy....

Back