Most advantaged and disadvantaged clubs

Who is the most advantaged team in the league?

• Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 310 44.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Westcoast

Votes: 113 16.1%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 184 26.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 74 10.5%
  • Giants

Votes: 45 6.4%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Essendon

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What absolute *********. The etihad clubs paid for Marvel stadium to owned by the AFL.

The MCG clubs paid for the MCG upgrades, while lining the AFLs purse at the same time through low returns on tickets and AFL memberships.

Also worth noting that Geelong only paid a small fraction of the KP upgrade (unlike the Melbourne clubs with MCG & Docklands).

Ocker

?Premiershipmond?
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond play a home game at Marvel, have 100,000 members only get 40,000 to a ground with a capacity of 55,000 against Sydney who have a good Melbourne following.

Seems they're disembarking that Tiggy train aleady.
Poor thing.

Actually, we're building an even bigger train...good problem to have eh?

Wait for the reception the cats will get when they play the Tiges at the G - I think you'll like it. Hope you're there.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I saw the title of the thread and asked myself, ‘how long will it take for a Tigers supporter to......’. BINGO
Me too. The first 7 posts were reasoned and compelling. Then a Tiger supporter comes in with the line that Geelong has the media and Steve Hocking in its pockets. THAT was when the thread was derailed....you just can’t help yourselves
Melbourne FC foolishly voted to allow Richmond to become cotenants. Look how that panned out

All 3 posts in succession. Sure sign of somebody who is very angry and upset. :coldsweat: Surprised you never posted in Caps.

Irrationally angry though. Most clubs supporters (bar a few West coasters who have to keep telling us how hard done by they are) have stated very reasonably how Geelong is advantaged. But because there is so much truth to these arguments, you and some other Geelong supporters have cracked the shits and thrown little childish tantrums. Yours being a prime example.

It's posters like yourself who have continued this boring Geelong Vs Richmond thing into its 3rd season now. It's funny how its always Richmond supporters at fault though.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
All 3 posts in succession. Sure sign of somebody who is very angry and upset. :coldsweat: Surprised you never posted in Caps.

Irrationally angry though. Most clubs supporters (bar a few West coasters who have to keep telling us how hard done by they are) have stated very reasonably how Geelong is advantaged. But because there is so much truth to these arguments, you and some other Geelong supporters have cracked the shits and thrown little childish tantrums. Yours being a prime example.

It's posters like yourself who have continued this boring Geelong Vs Richmond thing into its 3rd season now. It's funny how its always Richmond supporters at fault though.

Tigers fans have this delusion that because we lost a qualifying final to them we have a chip on our shoulder.
If losing finals gave us a chip on our shoulder, we’d be on the ground with all the clubs who’ve cleaned us out since 2011. Would we have liked to win? Of course. Do we care that it was Richmond who gave us yet another finals loss? Not especially. Most of us would have preferred that to a Pies or Hawthorn or Adelaide or Sydney or West Cost defeat. About the only team I’ve been happier to lose to is Melbourne.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Thread has descended into who plays where/travel/home ground advantage/MCG access. This all plays a part, but there are other tangible advantages which help certain clubs enormously. AFL promoted games, Channel 7 promoted games, National Free to air exposure, Prime Time, National exposure on Football programmes. All of this promotion and exposure leads to greater interest from sponsors/supporters/club engagement and relevance. This is where the biggest 5 or 6 Victorian clubs plus probably Sydney get the biggest leg up.

Agree.
When a game can pull a crowd of 'away' fans that FIXture has an advantage, Carlton/Collingwood, Port/Crows, Eagles/Dockers.
Some clubs dont have this scenario & that is a disadvantage & I dont see it changing particularly with the increasing numbers of club members, home games are a focus.

Game times are a bigger issue in Melbourne or at least it seems that way, outside Melbourne fans there is no choice if you want to go to the game. Chances are you cant go next week, your team is on the road.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Vic Clubs get guaranteed 0 games on FTA.
SA/WA: 19 Live + 3 Delayed
NSW/QLD: 22 Live

So when VIC clubs dominate the Ch7 games, it's because VIC clubs on foxtel games don't get shown in VIC like they do in other states. AFL needs to balance giving Interstate sides national exposure, and VIC sides any exposure.

A good example of too many teams in Melbourne.
What is the national exposure you want, how would it work, put yourself in the place of the advertiser on FTA .... as an Eagles supporter in Melbourne I note there isnt much FTA coverage (not that I am complaining I need to afford Fox).

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Not one vote for Port lol

I vote WCE. One of a few teams with a cosy umpire run for a long time.

Geelong should own this but they don't get to play at their ground in Finals....

Dogs the honourable mention for the gifted flag.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

I remember Port at Alberton in the SANFL days :) .... the Scott brothers* would have claimed they were too noisy, now you are trotting it out :thumbsdown:

Not Allans family, Chris & Brad of Lions fame.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Another election, another $20 million gift for Geelong Football Club.
The Salvos or St Vinnies must shake their heads down there.
Lets hope they use it to widen the ground from Auskick width to AFL standard.
Maybe the AFL could take all the money it wasted trying to get a club running on the Gold Coast and give that to Vinnies or the Salvos.

BIGBOYmcevoy

Rookie
Sep 21, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton, New York Knicks
West Coast most advantaged because they have the most cash. Their only disadvantage is travel but they have enough cash to minimise that.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

So paying millions to get an AFL license, having all the WA talent stolen by VFL clubs and travelling 5+ hours once a fortnight is what? The Eagles are one of the most disadvantaged clubs but are one of, if not THE best run club in the league. Making the most profit is not an advantage, it's just good business. A lot of this profit is put back in to the community.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton from my understanding have the worst stadium deal at marvel. This leads the club to want more games at the g which effectively means the club has no home venue. On top of that the afl fixtures games for the blues to play at tassie and Geelong.

It’s round 9 and the Blues are playing their fourth interstate game and have only played 3 games at their ‘home ground’ 2 of which we’re against other marvel tenants.

Compare this with last years grand finalist who are playing their 7th game at the g this weekend and their one game at marvel was against interstate opposition.

To put this into simple terms, it’s round 9 and the blues have only played 1 game where they had a home ground advantage and that was Sydney, ironically marvel is a ground which the swans play as well as any other.

Last edited:

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
Carlton from my understanding have the worst stadium deal at marvel. This leads the club to want more games at the g which effectively means the club has no home venue. On top of that the afl fixtures games for the blues to play at tassie and Geelong.

It’s round 9 and the Blues are playing their fourth interstate game and have only played 3 games at their ‘home ground’ 2 of which we’re against other marvel tenants.

Compare this with last years grand finalist who are playing their 7th game at the g this weekend and their one game at marvel was against interstate opposition.

To put this into simple terms, it’s round 9 and the blues have only played 1 game where they had a home ground advantage and that was Sydney, ironically marvel is a ground which the swans play as well as any other.
Don't fret, Tigers are yet to have home ground advantage this year.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Geelong should own this but they don't get to play at their ground in Finals....

Dogs the honourable mention for the gifted flag.

I still don’t see how that would be the case even if we didn’t play finals away. Until we play all our home matches at home, it can’t be the case.

Back