Most All-Australian selections

Remove this Banner Ad

aflcliche

Club Legend
May 26, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Which players have been selected the most times, so I guess >5?

And which current players are marching towards the high numbers?

Thanks.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Australian_team

This is the summary of complete list of All-Australian selected players, dating back to the first AA team selected in 1947.

Most times selected is Robert Harvey - 9. Of the current players, Matthew Pavlich has had the most selections with 6. (From 1953-2010)

From 1947-1955, the AA was picked by Sporting Life.

Also, the football carnivals of the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's saw AA teams picked per state. Non-carnival years saw no team selected. From 1991 onwards, it was selected from AFL only players.

Club wise, Geelong has had 67 nominations, Essendon 65, Carlton 60, Footscray 50 then Collingwood 43. Incidentally, Geelong have had 25 nominations in the last 4 years, including a record 9 in 2007.

Donners

Cancelled
Ex-Moderator
Sep 1, 2002
AFL Club
Sydney
It's probably not fair to group the carnival AA players with those in All-Australian sides from 1991, because the former were fewer and generally depended on availability at the time, so superior players over the season would miss out.

The VFL Team of the Year which was named from 1982 onward (IIRC) would be a more equal grouping.

power09

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2008
Burra SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Timberwolves
Club wise, Geelong has had 67 nominations, Essendon 65, Carlton 60, Footscray 50 then Collingwood 43. Incidentally, Geelong have had 25 nominations in the last 4 years, including a record 9 in 2007.

that was bullshit though

BONG RIPS MKII

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 25, 2010
geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
not if i meant taking Lades spot, i cant remember most of em anymore but Mooney should not of been in there

mooney took nearly 200 marks and kicked 67 goals from chf

more than deserving

also, ottens should have been in lade's spot, and anybody should have been in kane's

power09

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2008
Burra SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Timberwolves
mooney took nearly 200 marks and kicked 67 goals from chf

more than deserving

also, ottens should have been in lade's spot, and anybody should have been in kane's

mooney is an average footballer who played his role in a team with eight other all australians that made his job very easy compared to someone equally talented like Ashley Hanson

bring up the stats and show me why Ottens should of had Lades spot, and if u just think Ottens just had a bigger impact in general u are mistaking, Lade was phenomenal 06 and 07, good contested marking and long accurate kicking around the ground, reliable long set shot and provided the best tap work anyone in this generation has seen

if the AA team needs a tagger Kane should be in there every year

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
Craig Bradley, Stephen Kernahan and Simona Madden have all received nine All-Australian selections.

OH, and John Platten and Paul Roos.

Nine is the most received.

Judd will probably get to ten.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

This is the summary of complete list of All-Australian selected players, dating back to the first AA team selected in 1947.

Most times selected is Robert Harvey - 9. Of the current players, Matthew Pavlich has had the most selections with 6. (From 1953-2010)

Nine? That link has 8: 1992, 1994-99, 2003

Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Craig Bradley, Stephen Kernahan and Simona Madden have all received nine All-Australian selections.

You don't say where that info comes from, but whatever source you used, I'm afraid it is rather inaccurate.

I believe the proper details to be:
players with most AA selections -
8 - R Harvey & M Ricciuto
7 - C Bradley, N Buckley, W Carey, P Roos

S Kernahan was chosen in an official AA team 5 times
J Platten was chosen 5 times
S Madden was chosen 3 times

I worked out the above by adding up selections from the official post-Carnival teams (1953-1988) and the official AA teams chosen under present annual basis (1991-2010).

Donners

Cancelled
Ex-Moderator
Sep 1, 2002
AFL Club
Sydney
If you combine the VFL Team of the Year (1982-84, 86-90), which merged into the All-Australian in 1991, the leaders are:

8 - Ablett, Ricciuto, Harvey
7 - Buckley, Silvagni, Carey
6 - Roos, Cousins, Johnson, Bradley, Williams, Pavlich, Kernahan, S Madden, Lockett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mooney is an average footballer who played his role in a team with eight other all australians that made his job very easy compared to someone equally talented like Ashley Hanson

bring up the stats and show me why Ottens should of had Lades spot, and if u just think Ottens just had a bigger impact in general u are mistaking, Lade was phenomenal 06 and 07, good contested marking and long accurate kicking around the ground, reliable long set shot and provided the best tap work anyone in this generation has seen

if the AA team needs a tagger Kane should be in there every year
Bring up the stats and show me why someone else should have had Mooney's spot.

Kerleys Ghost

Club Legend
May 23, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

From 1947-1955, the AA was picked by Sporting Life.

Also, the football carnivals of the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's saw AA teams picked per state. Non-carnival years saw no team selected. From 1991 onwards, it was selected from AFL only players.

No, Rucciuto and Harvey are tied on 8

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
It's a shame that that record will no doubt be beaten in the next decade by at least 5 lesser players.

anyone know what record he is talking about? 8 all australian guernseys? i doubt 5 out of the current crop will reach 8+ all australians. the only likely to is gary ablett jnr and there aren't many players you would consider him a less player in comparison to.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
This is harder than it looks, but here we go. I had a go scribbling one out but ended up with about 100 players. So, I used info for leading goal scorers of all time, leading brownlow votes of all time and 'individual honours' lists to help me narrow the list.

Centre Half Back is difficult as neither Glass or Scarlett were ever picked there (or played there), and no-one else put up their hand as a tall defender. Rance, Gaspar, Taylor and Leppitsch all have claims, but it's just opinion on who you'd choose.

Tall forwards were a nightmare to pick. If you use 'goals kicked' Lloyd and Hall are a shoe-in. If you use AA reps as a guide you get Riewoldt and Pavlich. I just can't see the team without Franklin or Hird in it though...

Some pretty massive names have to miss: Cox gets the nod just ahead of Sandilands with daylight to the next, Brian Lake has some exceptional individual honours, and there are even a few Brownlow Medallist who missed, the most heinous being Cousins and Fyfe.

B: Scarlett, Glass, Enright
HB: Hodge, Leppitsch, McLeod
C: Swan, Mitchell, Voss
HF: Hird, Pavlich, Harvey
F: Acka, Franklin, Riewoldt
Foll: Cox, Ablett, Judd
Int: Black, Buckley, Goodes, West

Em from: Selwood, Fyfe, Cousins, lloyd, Hall, Gaspar, Thompson, Milne, Ricciuto, Rance, Lake, Taylor, Bartell, Watson, Kerr etc etc etc

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
SFA Good Friday Appeal Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
Surprised to see roo with 8... I know he was good ie; skipper, brownlow, premierships but didn't realise how consistent he was. Is he slightly underrated when it comes to the greats?

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers

Chris Judd probably deserves 10 - but will forever have 6... Which is still 3 more than Cam Mooney, Nic Naitanui and Hayden Ballantyne combined.

Obi fella

Cancelled
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Williamstown
Surprised to see roo with 8... I know he was good ie; skipper, brownlow, premierships but didn't realise how consistent he was. Is he slightly underrated when it comes to the greats?
Not underrated in SA. Toughest player I've seen in my time.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not from Victoria, will be perennially underrated. Similar to people leaving Tredrea out of the CHF conversation with names like Riewoldt, Brown, etc.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ricciuto was one of the lucky AA players who was kissed on the dick by selectors. They have the same people picking the team from one year to the next and they have their favourite players. They're biased towards some and biased against others...

Other AA selectors' pets: Brad Johnson, Paul Roos, Corey Enright, Simon Goodwin, Chris Judd, Steve Silvagni, Dane Swan & Scott Pendlebury. If these guys had a pretty good year, they got picked. They've ended up with 5 or more AA guernseys while many other equally accomplished players had to settle for 3 or 4 selections.

Ricciuto was a lineball selection on at least 3 occasions. Not saying he was totally unworthy, but he was lineball. They could've left him out and no Crows fan would've complained.

I'm not having a crack at any of those players or denigrating Ricciuto in any way. All I'm saying is that people should take the number of AA selections with a grain of salt. It highlights consistently good seasons from the selectors' favourites, but every year many AA-worthy players are snubbed, so it shouldn't be used as some basis for ranking players.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back