List Mgmt. Most annoying drafting/trading decisions by your club

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but that includes the top 3 picks that year. No one would have picked Grundy in the top 3 that year. It would be unreasonable to complain about that.
I know they're mostly armchair experts, but reading through the Draft Watcher threads at the time suggests it isn't true. He was seen by most as an A-grade talent, just slid because of club needs and a perception of poorly interviewing.

Not my club, but surprised no one has mentioned Billings over Bont.

Saints basically handed the Dogs a flag with that decision.

Il

I'll raise that. Melbourne overlooked Fyfe 4 times! None of those four are on our list and only one (Scully) is still in the league.
Fair

All ours aren't on the list, only 1 is playing, Pittard

Sweet Jesus” 65997354 said:
If the cost is minimal, why is it annoying?
Essendon got involved in a trade using pick 16 that it didn’t need to. Williams was a sh!t down hill skier at Hawthorn, and he was even sh!tter at Essendon.
What relevance is cost anyway when drafting and trading is been compared? Drafting doesn’t cost anything either, only damage to reputation.

Going back a bit

- Allen Jackovich - Good in his day but when drafted was spent and unfit with a long time out of footy. Did very little upon his return
- Jordan McMahon in the 2000 draft @ #10, could have gone for Burgoyne or D Kerr instead

What relevance is cost anyway when drafting and trading is been compared? Drafting doesn’t cost anything either, only damage to reputation.
Seriously? The earlier the pick, the higher the cost. Getting it wrong with pick 1 is way worse than getting it wrong with pick 70. Likewise, coughing up big time in a bad trade is worse than a cheap trade that didn't deliver.

Not sure what "reputation" you're worried about. People laughing about it on the internet?

Trading Paul Medhurst and pick 8 for Tarrant has to be the worst.

Not only was Medhurst a favourite player of mine, and the coach mid year said he wouldn't be traded, absolutley stung.

I was happy he played well at Collingwood, got AA and an Anzac medal. I just have no idea why we traded him. Tarrant was a flog and left back to Collingwood anyway

Jayden Pitt over Jack Darling probably cost us a flag.
I remember tracking that draft on my phone, couldn’t believe Darling was still on the board for you to pick him up; then was so shocked when you chose Pitt over him.

Although to be fair, he was a good pick, it’s a shame that he wasn’t able to continue. He was a classy player. And would have been a useful player off the wing in that 2013 side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going back a bit

- Allen Jackovich - Good in his day but when drafted was spent and unfit with a long time out of footy. Did very little upon his return
- Jordan McMahon in the 2000 draft @ #10, could have gone for Burgoyne or D Kerr instead

Never realized he went to Footscray until you mentioned it.

What a prodigious talent he was.
Just looking at his stats, he was also listed at 187cm tall. He always looked much shorter than that but was very stocky in build.
208 goals from only 54 games and close to 6 marks per game. Shame he never had the desire to be as good as what he could have been.

2000 traded pick 11 for Justin Murphy. Absolute dog of a bloke, who was then traded away the year after.
With that pick 11 we “could” have taken Shaun Burgoyne who went at 12.
Got him away from the club the year after for pick 23 who we used to take Charlie Gardiner. It’s hard to knock the cats haul that year (Bartel, Johnson, Ablett, Kelly), but theoretically that pick 23 could have been Sam Mitchell/Leigh Montagna.

2000 traded pick 11 for Justin Murphy. Absolute dog of a bloke, who was then traded away the year after.
With that pick 11 we “could” have taken Shaun Burgoyne who went at 12.
Got him away from the club the year after for pick 23 who we used to take Charlie Gardiner. It’s hard to knock the cats haul that year (Bartel, Johnson, Ablett, Kelly), but theoretically that pick 23 could have been Sam Mitchell/Leigh Montagna.

Geelong were taking Gardiner at Pick 24 anyway. Murphy was effectively traded for Johnson as the second of back to back picks. Even if we did take Burgoyne at 11 in the previous draft, Johnson was a better player than Burgoyne when Geelong were in contention between 2007-2013

Never realized he went to Footscray until you mentioned it.

What a prodigious talent he was.
Just looking at his stats, he was also listed at 187cm tall. He always looked much shorter than that but was very stocky in build.
208 goals from only 54 games and close to 6 marks per game. Shame he never had the desire to be as good as what he could have been.
Stats look even better if you only include the games for Melbourne. 47 games for 201 goals. Was never really a great overhead mark but was a typical full forward who was good at leading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back