brad

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2004
ESSENDON
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
The new season is coming up (8 weeks I think on Thursday).

What the top 5 most anticipated games your team will play in during the Home and Away for 2019 and what are your top 5 neutral matches you'd be keen on watching (non finals too).

Essendon

1. Vs GWS Rd 1 - can we get off to a good start and win on the road again? How will Dylan Shiel go against his former side?
2. Vs Collingwood ANZAC Day - we have thrown up a lot of stinkers on this day. Can we take it up to the Grand Finalists and come away with a win in our home game?
3. Vs Richmond Dream Time - we haven't beaten Richmond in quite a while now and they've been the yard stick of the competition for the last two years. This will show have we improved?
4. Vs Melbourne Rd 3 - The Demons finally get a home game against the Bombers and we're back playing them at the G in a Friday night blockbuster. Melbourne got through to the Preliminary Final last year (somewhere we we'd like to get to too soon). Should be a cracker!
5. Vs Carlton Rd 11 - Lose this and we might and I hate to think what would happen.

Neutral

1. Collingwood Vs West Coast - Grand Final rematch (both at the MCG and in the West)
2. Richmond Vs Melbourne ANZAC Eve - two teams that are both expected to be up there this year, should be a beauty.
3. Brisbane Vs Hawthorn Rd 11 - Lions knocked the Hawks off twice last year in two pretty good encounters. I look forward to see if the Lions can do it again at the Gabba.
4. Geelong Vs Melbourne Rd 2 - Will Melbourne have learnt from their loss down at the Cattery last year? This will say a lot about how Geelong will go in 2019 (I think)>
5. Collingwood Vs Melbourne Queen's Birthday - two teams that have had a big public holiday blockbuster that hasn't really had both teams in flag contention. First time it will be the Pies who are the home team in a while.

Having typed this now I see that Melbourne appear to feature quite a bit.

Both Eagles games v Melbourne interest me. Rnd 9 at Optus and rnd 18 at MCG. Would love to knock over the young up and comers. They will be hurting after that Prelim and if we can keep them down it will go along way to a top 4 spot and build some mental demons.

Tigers at the MCG rnd 22 and both Pies games for obvious reasons.

Hawks at the MCG in rnd 15 and also the rnd 12 game in Sydney v Swans are also tough assignments. Haven't beaten these sides at their home grounds in a long, long time.

It rarely turns out as you expect as the season progresses but.....

To me we need to establish ourselves as the best of the contested ball sides to be a flag chance this year. That means dominating the best midfields of last year in Collingwood and the Demons.

Stage 2 is to enforce our game plan on teams like WC and and Richmond.

It's a big task but such is nature of the competition. So for specific games:-

Round 10 Demons at the G

Round 16 Magpies at Spotless

Round 2 West Coast at Optus- The premiers are always a target and disrupting the unfurling of the flag party will be our aim.

Round 1 Bombers at Spotless. The season start but also we hold the Bombers 1st and we double up, so we have input into where that lands.

I dont think Shiel will be significant, he was a favourite at Spotless especially amongst the kids. We dont have a history of turning on players who leave much though, I will be wishing him well in a losing side. He gave us 7 good years, Bombers fans will be keen to see how he goes no doubt. He will now become the idol of a lot kids in red and black I expect.

Now this is a thread I can get behind!

Melbourne:

1. Richmond vs. Melbourne (Round 6) - ANZAC Day Eve becoming one of the biggest and best spectacles in the modern era. Between my 2 favourite teams, and the two teams that I also have playing off in the final dance. The shame is that it's their home game, so I'll likely be seated in the nosebleeds. None the less, should be a ripping contest.
  2. Melbourne vs. Essendon (Round 3) - Finally what we've been waiting for since we've finally become a team to reckon with... a Friday night blockbuster. Against my most hated team and to me (number 1 rival), I'm just happy we finally play them at the MCG and not bloody Docklands. Would love to pencil this one in as an instant win, but the Bombers do usually push us to our limits and I can imagine this will be yet another high scoring affair.
  3. Collingwood vs. Melbourne (Round 12) - Our other big blockbuster Queens Birthday & after what happened to us last season we'll be coming with a vengeance. Again, unfortunately it's not our home game so who knows where I'll be seated. Hats off to them though for letting us host it for so long. Either way it will surely be a high scoring affair. I still don't rate Collingwood as much as some people are, and do believe their harder draw won't be as kind to them in the end. Definitely a battle of the best ruckmen and two of the best midfields in the comp though. Bring it on!
  4. Sydney vs. Melbourne (Round 4) - A Thursday Night Blockbuster (not the biggest fan of these however it falls on school holidays #teacherlife ). Plus I've never been to Sydney and I shall be making an effort to attend this one. Sydney I've got missing the 8 or perhaps being in that massive logjam of teams from 5th to 13th, so I'd love to win this one. Plus I'm 2/2 for wins in interstate trips so carrrrrrn the Dees!
  5. Melbourne vs. Gold Coast (Round 8) - Another interstate trip I plan on doing, and another city I've never been to. Either way, GC is a basketcase of a team and I look forward to the possibility of setting all kind of records against them.
Neutral:

1. Richmond vs. West Coast - Without the Dees in the equation, I see these two teams as our biggest threats towards our premiership dreams. Another game that is towards the end of the season. Again, it'd be nice to see how this one pans out to see what the Dees may very well be facing come finals.
  2. Adelaide vs. GWS (Round 12) - Two teams that I could see gunning for a top 4 place. Curious to see how this one pans out. I'm expecting Adelaide to make a comeback with an easier draw and less injuries. As for GWS, I see many writing them off already but I still think they've got something in the tank for a go at the flag.
  3. Collingwood vs. West Coast (Round 3)/West Coast vs. Collingwood (Round 17) - GF rematches are certainly always one to pencil in. Will be interesting to see if the games are similar, the return fixture later in the season in Perth will more so be one I'm keen on seeing because whatever the ladder is looking like come this time of the year, this game could have big consequences for the loser.
  4. West Coast vs. Gold Coast (Round 7) - Simply interested in this one because it's probably our best chance to see records broken against the shambolic team that is GC. Highest win, biggest defeat or will Fred Fanning's record be in question? Who knows! I'm keen to see what some of the bigger teams are going to do to GC this year.
  5. "The Noah Anderson Cup" Carlton vs. Gold Coast (Round 18) - One of these teams could very well still be winless come this time of the season. To be fair I call this the "Noah Anderson Cup", however Carlton traded away that first pick and if Carlton are on none - a handful of wins Adelaide will laugh their way to the draft.

Lions V Eagles at the Gabba round 1 - Going up against the Premiers will give us an idea of where we're at and promises to be a cracking match

Lions V Richmond - as above. Haven't beaten the tigers in a long time and would love a win or at least a respectable loss

Lions V Fremantle - Neale

Lions V Pies - Beams

Lions V Hawks - hoping to continue the domination

Both games against Brisbane are always fun. Regardless how either team is travelling, they are always close encounters.

Also the games against Richmond and Melbourne to see how we handle the come backs of May and Lynch. Can see the lads getting up for these games against former players. Point to prove.

Round 1 against St Kilda is also one I am looking forward to, as it will lay out the rest of our season. Chance against the Saints IMO.

R2 vs Collingwood (and R19 for that matter) - Has a similar vibe to our R2 match vs Adelaide this year, combined with the whole Richmond/Collingwood thing. A win wouldn't be 'revenge' - that has to wait for September - but gee it'd be nice to restore a bit of order :p

R5 vs Sydney - the corresponding game last year was one of my personal favourites, felt like there were constant highlights in what was a top-of-the-table clash. We've also played some absolute belters against the swans in the DH era, 2017 Swans comeback, 2016 Lloyd's goal, 2014 win for the finals, 2010 and 15 tiges comebacks. I have high expectations.

R6 vs Melbourne Anzac Day Eve - we've built a little bit of a rivalry over this game in the last few years. The 2017 version was a belter and there was a lot of feeling in it. Huge crowd, two premiership aspirants, what more could you want?

R22 vs West Coast - always look forward to the match against the reigning premiers. If both sides go as expected this year it will be an early final. There's also a little intrigue as it was - for so long - expected to be the GF matchup in 2018 - then Collingwood had other thoughts. Although being so late in the year it's likely that time will have been all but forgotten.

As for neutral games it very much depends on how the season goes - they'll probably all be important late season games.

Richmond vs Carlton
Season opener. Footy is back.

Richmond vs Collingwood
I don’t think these two teams like each other. Both contenders. Should be a cracker. Hopefully Lynch plays.

Richmond vs Melbourne
Anzac Day Eve is my favourite fixture of the year. Unreal atmosphere at night. Will be a tight one.

Richmond vs Essendon
Dreamtime at the G. Need I say more? Confident we flog them. Again.

Richmond vs West Coast
Will enjoy the test against the reigning premiers and the benchmark of the competition.

Melbourne v Richmond
Anzac eve against the tigers is awesome. Been living overseas so I never saw the pregame stuff until last year. The AFL get alot wrong but the cauldron and the horses combined with the atmosphere. How good.

Melbourne v Collingwood
Collingwood torched us last year, I don't think they are as far ahead of us as that margin suggested but on the day they certainly were. Their movement through the midfield and pace an guile of their forwards is scary when they are on. If we can take it right up to them I'll think we can win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond vs Carlton
Season opener. Footy is back.

Richmond vs Collingwood
I don’t think these two teams like each other. Both contenders. Should be a cracker. Hopefully Lynch plays.

Richmond vs Melbourne
Anzac Day Eve is my favourite fixture of the year. Unreal atmosphere at night. Will be a tight one.

Richmond vs Essendon
Dreamtime at the G. Need I say more? Confident we flog them. Again.

Richmond vs West Coast
Will enjoy the test against the reigning premiers and the benchmark of the competition.

Nothing will ever beat the original ANZAC day match.

For us, Richmond vs Collingwood in around 2 is probably the most anticipated for us right now. Second would probably be Melbourne vs Richmond.

I am also looking forward to West Coast Vs Melbourne as well as West Coast vs Port Adelaide. The latter matchup has been bringing some entertaining matches since 2015.

Maybe in the eyes of a Tiger supporter. The same Tigers supporters that last year had B2B as a mere formality.

But in the real world - match attendances, tv audiences, and general overall anticipation, interest and build up - Pies v. Bombers remain miles ahead.
Richmond supporters on average did not say that B2B was a formality. We were well aware of the B2B challenges. I mean, the 2007-2011 Geelong side did not go B2B so it shows how difficult it is.

Sure my friend. Most Tigers cop 18 on the chin.

But....

#tigersflag17

So good. Meanwhile....

#piessobrave18
#Moralvictory18
#Petition18
#Harmesboundaryline79
#Roccapoint02

its all the same. theres always a some sort of manufactured excuse and back patting yourselves to save face. Logic of borderline functioning adults that the rest of us joke about

#salarycap03

Remove this Banner Ad

Back