Most beautiful cricket grounds in the world

King Kieran

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2007
Country Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Cape Town and Adelaide Oval are that far in front when it comes to postcard grounds.
Ironbark Staduim, Rushworth in central Victoria, when not in a drought a close 3rd!:D

nicho_magic

Premiership Player
Sep 6, 2004
Saudi Arabia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
vics
mcg is one of the worlds 'best' cricket grounds not beautiful tho.

beautiful would be a ground in south africa with mountains maybe even a volcano in the back ground can't think of its name

May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
oval1.jpg

Bellerive for me! Although I am a tad biased.

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
Cape Town and Adelaide Oval are that far in front when it comes to postcard grounds.
Ironbark Staduim, Rushworth in central Victoria, when not in a drought a close 3rd!:D

I've actually played at Rushy, and although it looks great with its surrounding's but the ground surface itself is a shocker (even when we weren't in drought), for both footy & cricket, the pitch is a minefield (it's the only ground i've played on that would make want to wear a helmet, due to the unevenness of the pitch, and the changerooms are so far away you need a compass & a map.

As far as up here goes, I think it's a privledge that I get to play on the main oval at Murchison (I know i'm biased, but it's the truth), you've got the trees alongside the river for atmosphere, a good ground and a pitch that provides a good balance between bat and ball (even though it's really bouncy now due to the water retrictions).

When I played juniors in Melbourne, I reckon that Partington's Flat, Greensborough was a great ground to play on (Does anyone still play there now ?) because it was cut off from the rest of the suburb, and the steep cliff at the nothern end was great.

As far as the International Stadiums go, the one in Galle is my favourite, because of the old fort and Buddist Monastery nearby.

Romeo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 5, 2006
Hampton, Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MAGPIES, BUSHRANGERS
oval1.jpg

Bellerive for me! Although I am a tad biased.

I've been to Bellerive and what was interesting was that it's the cameras that really bring the water coverage into it. When you're there it's not that picturesque actually.

Adelaide is great but I hope they don't destroy its aesthetic appeal with the modifications they are intending to make but Cape town (Newlands) wins the day with the views of Table Mountain in its ever changing guises, the oak trees and the generous sprinkling of beautiful women who tend to patronise fixtures there.

weapon_of_choice

Senior List
Jun 28, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lords, as its the only ground which doesnt have a boundary rope in a part of the ground. Behind the bowlers arm where the players walk out. Boundary ropes are in too close these days and wreck the game. I know injuries are a concern but tradition shud overrule. Players shud know when to dive into a fence and not. I miss watching batsman run 5 after hitting a straight drive down the ground on the adeladie oval where the ball wasnt hit hard enough to hit the fence but it still went far enough that a poor fieldsman has to chase it nearly all the way.

bus24

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 23, 2006
Heppenheim
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sebastian Vettel
New Zealand has that cricket ground surrounded by the mountains, that's a beautiful cricket ground

Queenstown? Its hell cool, the planes just about clip the players hats. Everything has to be built in that little valley I guess.

Romeo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 5, 2006
Hampton, Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MAGPIES, BUSHRANGERS
Queenstown? Its hell cool, the planes just about clip the players hats. Everything has to be built in that little valley I guess.

Yes I think it's Queenstown, always has a sparse crowd though. There's also one in India surrounded by awesome looking mountains. I still like Cape town (Newlands) though for TM, the oak trees and the spunky women. Actually what I like about the South African grounds is that they all seem to have a grassed area which adds a bit of character. Sydney has never been the same since the hill disappeared.

Pardon the bump, but,

images

images

HCPA Stadium, Dharamsala, India
Scenery is fantastic. One of the home grounds of the Kings XI Punjab in the IPL.

Of course, I am biased toward Adelaide Oval, but if the full redevelopment goes ahead, it will lose much of its character.

Bomber Bears

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2005
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
North Sydney, Liverpool, NSW
Como Park (if im remembering the ground from the vincibles)?

Basin Reserve is cool
4384516018_6b55edd020.jpg

bSSRs810Ye.jpg

I love how it's kind of discreet in the city, just another block, really has that suburban ground feel that i like (similar to going to the footy at Lecihhardt in Sydney).

North Sydney's my favourite ground in the country for numerous reasons, but boy is it a good place to watch (and im guessing play) cricket
oval_aerial_football_small.jpg

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Yes I think it's Queenstown, always has a sparse crowd though. There's also one in India surrounded by awesome looking mountains. I still like Cape town (Newlands) though for TM, the oak trees and the spunky women. Actually what I like about the South African grounds is that they all seem to have a grassed area which adds a bit of character. Sydney has never been the same since the hill disappeared.

Doesn't get much more scenic than Queenstown as far as international cricket grounds go.

D.JPG

Cape Town (Newlands) is one of my favourite cricket grounds too.

Cape_Town_cricket_203120155.jpg

Back