Most Boring Commentary Cliches...

Remove this Banner Ad

There's one that I've just about reached the end of my tether with. Player kicks a goal and the commentators mentioning as they interchange that it's the done thing nowadays. It's been happening that way for almost a decade now and they've commented on it almost every week.

I. Don't. Care. Anymore.

Any others that get up your goat.

There's one that I've just about reached the end of my tether with. Player kicks a goal and the commentators mentioning as they interchange that it's the done thing nowadays. It's been happening that way for almost a decade now and they've commented on it almost every week.

I. Don't. Care. Anymore.

Any others that get up your goat.

They think they are hilarious saying it too.

Bruce and dennis. Bruce gushes every friday "oh i don't want to say it. what was it den?"
"That was centimeter perfect Bruce"

"What do you think (insert coaches name) is thinking right now?"

Probably how to win, or stop the flow of goals... you don't need to point that out.

While were at it, stop showing me the coach on the phone, I don't care.

Love the way he goes about it.

Aboriginal footballers being described as 'dangerous' even when they are not particularly dangerous.

Franklin's 'natural arc'. An umpire used these words once to tell Montagna why he shouldn't be encoaching on the mark and it has become part of the lexicon now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP totally nailed it, drives me crazy too. Yes it was noteworthy the first time it was discussed but now we've all heard it a 1000 times.

I also find it annoying when they bring up how goal kicking accuracy is the only thing not to improve in the modern era (I wouldn't mind this so much if they followed up with real analysis as to why but if they just make the point then yeah boring we've heard it all before).

99% of Brian Taylor. His cliches are terrible and the constant references to the Calder Cannons are annoying as well. I just generally don't like it when commentators take their own personal bias and then make it a part of their running commentary.

Commentators expressing surprise at stuff that we've all seen dozens of times. Good examples of this are these types of conversations
"why do players feel more comfortable dribbling the ball along the ground"
"I don't know, back in my day we used to kick it through post high so no one could spoil"
OR
Lets say Steve Johnson is lining up for a shot from an acute angle inside 50
"Difficult angle here"
"Wow he's decided to run around to open up the angle!"
Even though Steve Johnson does this for like every single shot and everyone knows it.
and if they miss they will launch into the old
"should have the confidence to take the drop punt, don't know why players always want to kick around their body."

'Bang, never in doubt, the ball went straight through the middle!"

Is said way too frequently.

Couldn't we get,

'That oval shaped pigskin leather ball spins through the two middle sticks for a six point score'
'It's long, it's strong, it's a point..(two second pause)..just kidding, goal!' (that one would work better on radio)

Any mention of "the paint" by Dwayne Russell - whether inside, on or beyond. I don't care. STFU about the paint.

He went ******* nuts with this last night! I usually don't notice these things too much, but this was too much.

Geelong Falcons footy factory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back