Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Several years ago I was visiting the MCG. Sitting on one of those long benches they have all around the middle bit, I looked over the fence and who should I see but James Hird. He was engaged in some type of ritual or game with several other gentlemen dressed in the Essendon uniform, and a similar number dressed in what I believe were North Melbourne uniforms. He chased a ball in my direction and, after it hit the fence, he raised his head and we definitely made eye contact. I'm not sure if he would remember me today though.

Saw Ben Cousins in the deli section of the Vic markets as I was moving through from the seafood section, back when he was playing for Richmond. He was with a lady friend. He seemed a bit flustered. Pretty sure I was on my way to get a borek.

Saw Ben Cousins in the deli section of the Vic markets as I was moving through from the seafood section, back when he was playing for Richmond. He was with a lady friend. He seemed a bit flustered. Pretty sure I was on my way to get a borek.
Saw him at my local burger joint once. He didn't order food, just coke and ice.

Sitting at an early opener in the Melbourne CBD mid-2000s, I was having a beer when I noticed it was hammering down outside with rain. I looked out and saw a dude with a bag over his head trying to protect himself from the rain while trying to hail a cab. I realised it was Plugger Lockett so I walked to the door and asked Plugger if he wanted to come in from the rain and I'd shout him a beer. He looked at me, looked up the road for a taxi, then said "yeh f**k it" and turned and started into the pub when a taxi pulled up at the curb and biped it's horn. Plugger stopped said "thanks for the offer but I've got to go".

Sitting at an early opener in the Melbourne CBD mid-2000s, I was having a beer when I noticed it was hammering down outside with rain. I looked out and saw a dude with a bag over his head trying to protect himself from the rain while trying to hail a cab. I realised it was Plugger Lockett so I walked to the door and asked Plugger if he wanted to come in from the rain and I'd shout him a beer. He looked at me, looked up the road for a taxi, then said "yeh f**k it" and turned and started into the pub when a taxi pulled up at the curb and biped it's horn. Plugger stopped said "thanks for the offer but I've got to go".

Thankfully you will not be inundated with questions about the colour of the cab as this was well after 1994 when then Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett decreed that all taxis should a standardised yellow.

Bullet dodged.

Far, far too exciting.

Back in the day before everyone owned really big 4 wheel drives, Andrew Demetriou parked a massive 4 wheel drive in front of an ice cream shop in St Kilda . I was already moving so I didn’t stop to see whether he went into the ice cream shop. He had two young women in the back who my intuition says were his daughters. Maybe he bought all the ice cream in the shop and paid for it in $100 bills as a laundering exercise.
Same thing happened to me with Mark Kavanagh the trainer...parked his BMW X5 next to me in Essendon as I was Tram watching, preventing me from seeing the on-coming ones. He was taking his daughter to the patisserie

Last edited:
Played cricket with Mitch Hannan. The guy was sending em down at about 110KPH off 6 steps. Really nice guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Standing next to Dustin Fletcher at the East Keilor Woolies Deli. Driving past Mick McGuane in Sterling Drive, East Keilor. Having Mick Martyn wait to turn as I passed, Old Calder Hwy, Keilor. Standing next to Tony Liberatore at his family's fruit shop, East Keilor. Parking behind Matthew Lloyd (BMW 5 Series)outside the Avondale Heights newsagent 😂😂
Mick Mcgaune is a regular at Taylors Lakes Woolies , once looked in very deep analytical thought over which brand of canned corn to buy.
Think Edgell came out on top

I saw Jade Gresham angrily send back a $25 calamari salad because it didn’t have enough calamari.

I can’t remember if I’ve posted this, but when I was a kid working at Maccas as a burger technician, Travis Cloke came in after a game and ordered a double quarter pounder. I noticed him from out the back so I wrote ‘Go Pies’ on the inside of the lid of his burger box in a sharpie. I guess I expected him to get his burger, open the box, see the message, duck his head down so we could make eye contact past the warming racks and give me a thumbs up. He just took his burger and left...

Saw Ben Cousins and Daniel Chick hanging out at Dome in Northbridge back in 07. It was about a week before Ben's infamous shirtless arrest and sacking from West Coast. They were dressed stylishly. I believe they had coffees in front of them, potentially of the flat white or cappuccino variety.

When I was about 11 (early 90s) I was swimming at Kilsyth Pools and saw what looked like Don Scott doing laps. As he paused at one end for a rest I went up and asked him "Are you Don Scott?" to which he replied "Yes I am son". We stared at each other for a couple of seconds upon which time I realised I didn't have a follow up question so I just ran away. I can only assume that he returned to his laps

Following retirement Brett Heady went into the house insulation game with Brett Heady's Thermo Sealed Batts. Couple of blokes from my cricket club installed the aforementioned batts and did my house with "leftovers" for the price of a couple of cartons. At no stage during the making of the deal or during the installation process did I see Brett Heady.

It's toddler month at SciTech in Perth, so I took my boy this morning and Jack Darling was there with his boy.

Our sons played together.

More boring ones out-and-about in the NW suburbs. Saw Johanissen and Cordy running along the Maribyrnong Track in Avondale Heights last year whilst walking my dog (I had to look up the team photo when I got home to ID Cordy :huh: ) Saw Dyson Heppell in the Bunnings Maribyrnong store carpark, filling his ute with lumber. About a fortnight later in the same Bunnings I was behind Justin Madden in the queue as he bought a paint tester. It was funny because I followed him out and a bloke said to his wife "that was Simon Madden!!" and I said to him "no, Justin" - just enough for the man himself to turn around....bit awkward :huh:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back