Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw Josh Gibson on a Ballarat bound train this afternoon. He was sitting by himself about three seats away from me. He made two phone calls during the journey and was wearing a hat.

About 15 BC bumped into John Watts at the Karrinyup Tavern.
Saddled up to the bar to buy my round and a lonesome Wattsie was huddled over his beer. Just staring down.
The miasma of sadness and dejection was palpable.
Normally would not have said anything, but I did ask him if he was OK.
"Yeah mate. But thanks for asking".
His demeanour suggested that he wished to be alone so that was that.
It was quite sad.
He was really in his cups but not in the mood for chat.
Quite different to the public Wattsie persona.
How old are you?
The Karrinyup Tavern at that time? Not even sure WA had a tavern back then.
OK, mine tonight.
Not an AFL player, but an AFL person.
Was walking the pooch around Marvel & saw Cal Twomey. Stopped & chatted 4 a bit. Gave him s**t about Knobbie Williams, biggest no-talent tryhard loser to spoil a stage, but to his credit he stood his ground with his terrible taste & did it with grace. Nice bloke, but I figure it qualifies as boring as he isn't a player.

Saw Heath Shaw at the Exeter on Rundle St last Saturday night.

No hat, but was wearing an ambitious charcoal scoop neck t shirt.

Also sharing a bottle of red with his friends. Interesting drink of choice at the time/place but who am I to judge.

Ben McKay at North Melb Rec Centre pool this morning and a couple other players. Nearly walked past without noticing before I heard his voice.

So I just saw Dean Brogan enter "The Talbot" on Gouger, one of the most dingyests, dodgy pubs in Adelaide from my experience tonight having a cheeky beverage.

The question remains on why he has spent 30+ minutes in there!

So I just saw Dean Brogan enter "The Talbot" on Gouger, one of the most dingyests, dodgy pubs in Adelaide from my experience tonight having a cheeky beverage.

The question remains on why he has spent 30+ minutes in there!
I have it on good authority there is an unlicensed rub’n’tug out the back of that particular establishment….

I saw Rory Lobb outside the Prahran Market just before the season started. I didn’t speak to him. I knew I knew him but couldn’t pin down exactly who he was, so a conversation would have been problematic.

I did have one of those dumb conversations with my partner right after. I just saw that afl guy with the hair. What guy? Plays forward, big bloke, with bleached hair. Which team? Dunno, maybe Essendon. Do Essendon have a big bleached forward? Maybe not them but he played for Freo before. Who did Essendon get from Freo with bleached hair? Forget Essendon, it was probably some other team…

The topic ended there because I had to pay for oranges. Round one and I had the lightbulb - there his is! That’s the guy!

I didn’t point this out to my partner. It was already far too complicated and it was only Rory Lobb after all

I saw Rory Lobb outside the Prahran Market just before the season started. I didn’t speak to him. I knew I knew him but couldn’t pin down exactly who he was, so a conversation would have been problematic.

I did have one of those dumb conversations with my partner right after. I just saw that afl guy with the hair. What guy? Plays forward, big bloke, with bleached hair. Which team? Dunno, maybe Essendon. Do Essendon have a big bleached forward? Maybe not them but he played for Freo before. Who did Essendon get from Freo with bleached hair? Forget Essendon, it was probably some other team…

The topic ended there because I had to pay for oranges. Round one and I had the lightbulb - there his is! That’s the guy!

I didn’t point this out to my partner. It was already far too complicated and it was only Rory Lobb after all

What kind of oranges?

What kind of oranges?
Valencia oranges.

I get different oranges now because your Valencia’s aren’t in season or something. Anyways they haven’t been that nice the past few weeks

An anti climatic one i had about 15 years ago

Thought I saw Shane Watson walking down chapel st, as I got closer it was Rhett Biglands, as I walked past i realized it was actually Jamie from Big Brother.

Let down

An anti climatic one i had about 15 years ago

Thought I saw Shane Watson walking down chapel st, as I got closer it was Rhett Biglands, as I walked past i realized it was actually Jamie from Big Brother.

Let down
Should have gone to the third umpire on that one.

Gather round edition of boring encounters...
  • some of the Freo boys taking a dip in the water at Glenelg, the missus thought Luke Jackson had a good rig.
  • Peter Bell walking down Jetty road with his head phones on, cannot confirm or deny that he was listening to Danish Death metal
  • Harry or Ben Mckay
  • Todd Goldstein, rocking leather thongs, and wating for the green man before he crossed the road.
  • Alastair Lynch, and Brad Johnson helping some old dude with his luggage, old dude turned out to be Dwayne Russell.
  • Steven May walking toward Rundall Mall, no doubt to talk to some of the locals about the ramifications of the Franco Prussian War in the late 1800's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A while back I was in The Good Guys buying a microwave.

At this store when buying a microwave you have to ask a staff member to get it out from the back, so I was waiting at the counter for a while. During this time Jack Steven walked past (this was after he retired playing for Geelong) with a child - I assume his child or it would have been suspicious

Anyway when the staff member brought out my microwave, she dropped the box as she was walking to the counter. At that moment, Steven was leaving the store. He looked at the dropped microwave then left. I didn't say anything to him.

Gather round edition of boring encounters...
  • some of the Freo boys taking a dip in the water at Glenelg, the missus thought Luke Jackson had a good rig.
  • Peter Bell walking down Jetty road with his head phones on, cannot confirm or deny that he was listening to Danish Death metal
  • Harry or Ben Mckay
  • Todd Goldstein, rocking leather thongs, and wating for the green man before he crossed the road.
  • Alastair Lynch, and Brad Johnson helping some old dude with his luggage, old dude turned out to be Dwayne Russell.
  • Steven May walking toward Rundall Mall, no doubt to talk to some of the locals about the ramifications of the Franco Prussian War in the late 1800's

So Dwayne made the luggage someone else's problem.

he was stuggling to his case into the boot of the uber. Lynchy had to get out of the back to sort it.
I'm surprised he didn't think to try the shake and bake.

I met his parents a couple of years ago. They were nice people. Unsurprisingly tall.

A while back I was in The Good Guys buying a microwave.

At this store when buying a microwave you have to ask a staff member to get it out from the back, so I was waiting at the counter for a while. During this time Jack Steven walked past (this was after he retired playing for Geelong) with a child - I assume his child or it would have been suspicious

Anyway when the staff member brought out my microwave, she dropped the box as she was walking to the counter. At that moment, Steven was leaving the store. He looked at the dropped microwave then left. I didn't say anything to him.
Did the microwave survive the drop?

a couple of years ago saw james brayshaw and king carey in the lift at the hilton hotel, sydney... i was waiting to go down to basement, but they were going up, so i didnt get in...

a couple of years ago saw james brayshaw and king carey in the lift at the hilton hotel, sydney... i was waiting to go down to basement, but they were going up, so i didnt get in...
Carey would have let you go down.

Used to live in an apartment just off Chapel St.

Whist I was on my balcony one Friday night I noticed Wayne Carey parking his Jeep on the street across the road.

People often didn’t read the signs and get fined being a permit zone.

Father in law who was with me called out “you’ll get a fine parking there Wayne”

Carey, looked up at us, shrugged and walked off.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back