Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
I work at a servo in Perth and Michael Walters, Lewis Jetta, Wellingham, Andrew Embley and Chris Yarran have all come in. Yarran's card declined when he tried to pay his $30 fuel.

He hasn't been back

Yeah. why doesn't this surprise me.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/co...rged-over-car-crashes-in-perth-ng-b881017927z

I don't think he'll be coming back anytime soon either.

https://thewest.com.au/news/7-news-...er-afl-footballer-chris-yarran-ng-b881035134z

MiPiG

Debutant
Dec 31, 2018
Somewhere near Cologne, Germany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Many years ago I was in a local Freo pub getting utterly campaignered, when all of a sudden I stumble across Clive Waterhouse having a beer. I had a powerful urge to ask him why he was awesome one match and crap for the next 20. I didnt though because I didnt feel like having my teeth knocked out. Was pretty boring.

I have a funny AFL encounter and a boring one.

I've been driving Uber most Friday nights for the last four years:

One late night in Richmond I got a call to pick up "Joe" outside a pub in Richmond. Back then i had a VW Golf, and I'm over 6 foot, so there is not a hellavu lot of room, partticularly behind the driver's seat.

Anyway, I pulled outside said pub and out strides drunken Joe Daniher grinning maniacly; former Tiges legend Liam McBean (also over 200cm ) and two other - I assume - Essendon seconds players. For some reason the shortest of them gets in the front seat - Daniher, McBean and the other dude get in the back. It was like a bloody clown car with daddy longlegs spider limbs everywhere. Daniher was sitting in the middle and I swear his knees were almost pressing on the windscreen. They were good blokes about it and told some pretty funny stories. When we pulled up outside a Brunswick St club, might have been Bimbos, there was a big queue outside and the four players gave everyone a great laugh getting out of the car, clown car style.

The boring encouner was picking up Jack Watts and taking him to the airport. He didn't want to talk at all and I left him alone. If I had've known we shared a mutual love for swimming and **** I would've pressed the conversation more.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have a funny AFL encounter and a boring one.

I've been driving Uber most Friday nights for the last four years:

One late night in Richmond I got a call to pick up "Joe" outside a pub in Richmond. Back then i had a VW Golf, and I'm over 6 foot, so there is not a hellavu lot of room, partticularly behind the driver's seat.

Anyway, I pulled outside said pub and out strides drunken Joe Daniher grinning maniacly; former Tiges legend Liam McBean (also over 200cm ) and two other - I assume - Essendon seconds players. For some reason the shortest of them gets in the front seat - Daniher, McBean and the other dude get in the back. It was like a bloody clown car with daddy longlegs spider limbs everywhere. Daniher was sitting in the middle and I swear his knees were almost pressing on the windscreen. They were good blokes about it and told some pretty funny stories. When we pulled up outside a Brunswick St club, might have been Bimbos, there was a big queue outside and the four players gave everyone a great laugh getting out of the car, clown car style.

The boring encouner was picking up Jack Watts and taking him to the airport. He didn't want to talk at all and I left him alone. If I had've known we shared a mutual love for swimming and **** I would've pressed the conversation more.

Tiges legend McBean worked briefly as a courier between delisting and going to play in SA. He delivered something to my workplace, fortunately our ceilings are high.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
When I was about 16 or 17, I was at the gym when a big dude in Essendon gear walked past me as I went to the water cooler. He said G'day. Later he pulled up next to me to do some sets with the dumbbells. He started up a bit of small talk. I thought this guy is pretty down to earth for a footballer, talking to me out of good will. I went home and Googled him and it was ........... The mighty Aaron Henneman. I think he's a cop now.

Masher

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seen Nic Nat & Koby Stevens getting lunch from Subway in Innaloo one day, pretty sure they got healthy options. Nic Nat sighed when a lady needed a second time to take photos with her, Koby seemed content

The only way Nic Nat is going to get away from fans is to paint himself white

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was watching Mitch Robinson stream fortnite on twitch , I subscribed for $5.99 for a month. He said hey thanks funsies whats up. I said hey dude, then watched him stream some more

Game was intense

Was watching Mitch Robinson stream fortnite on twitch , I subscribed for $5.99 for a month. He said hey thanks funsies whats up. I said hey dude, then watched him stream some more

Game was intense
Respect for what looks to be the first boring virtual encounter..

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Many years ago I was in a local Freo pub getting utterly campaignered, when all of a sudden I stumble across Clive Waterhouse having a beer. I had a powerful urge to ask him why he was awesome one match and crap for the next 20. I didnt though because I didnt feel like having my teeth knocked out. Was pretty boring.
awww....shoulda asked Mr. Waterhouse where his Mrs was......Amy Winehouse !!!

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Been in Noosa just over 30 hours. Last night was in queue for ordering meals with Craig Kelly at the Noosa SLSC. Also the Silvagni clan were seated a few tables away from us as was Simon Beasly.
(Good meals and beer btw).
This afternoon Matthew Kruezer put his towel down a few metres from where we were lying at the beach.

Falcon27

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Spotted Sonny Walters down Denmark (WA) way during the xmas/new year break. Was a music gig at a winery. He was lining up to get the Laska I think.

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Heading home for the day, I bumped into Woosha on the campus of Curtin University. He had a big smile on his face and said G'Day to me first. Great guy.

I regularly see Drew Petrie and Adam Selwood who are also very humble people. Always have the time of day for anyone. As a matter of fact, being the big no one that I am, Adam Selwood knew my name before I knew his!

Also bumped into Wirrpanda at Bunnings.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Kade Simpson would come to my dog park with his mrs around a 12-18 months ago when his dog was a puppy. Dog's name was Odin, I think he's a groodle, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The dog park near me is pretty social, and his mrs was friendly and talkative, but I don't remember Kade ever having a conversation with anyone. Which is weird - as far as I know, there were only 2 of us who ever recognised him, which I would've thought is a dream scenario to just have the most real, honest interactions with normal people that you're ever going to have as an AFL footballer in Melbourne's inner-northern suburbs.

Kade Simpson would come to my dog park with his mrs around a 12-18 months ago when his dog was a puppy. Dog's name was Odin, I think he's a groodle, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The dog park near me is pretty social, and his mrs was friendly and talkative, but I don't remember Kade ever having a conversation with anyone. Which is weird - as far as I know, there were only 2 of us who ever recognised him, which I would've thought is a dream scenario to just have the most real, honest interactions with normal people that you're ever going to have as an AFL footballer in Melbourne's inner-northern suburbs.
Reminds me of a trip to the off leash dog park a couple of years ago during pre season. The Carlton players had been on some gruelling run and a few of them were laying down exhausted and getting their breath back and my border terrier took great delight in licking the faces of several. They all took it in good spirits.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Feder98

Debutant
Aug 23, 2009
Essendon
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Most recent first:
  • Eric Hipwood waiting to cross Lonsdale/Elizabeth Street in Melbourne, and walking towards the Emporium
  • Adam Simpson walking through the Melbourne Airport terminal
  • Standing next to Dean Laidley on the train, many times. Mostly he looks at his phone, like everyone else
  • Ray Chamberlain and Nick Brown, dressed very casually and constantly laughing, a few rows away on the plane from Bris back to Mel (after the BL vs NM game in August 2018 - that was painful). They walked to the lavatory together and were still laughing about something back at Melbourne Airport
  • Mark Neeld on that same flight - he sat at the far back. Thought it was weird he’d be there
  • John Worsfold shopping with his son at Highpoint
  • Sam Petrevski-Seton at San Antone BBQ in Crown with 1-2 other Carlton Players
  • Josh Thomas eating lunch at Schnitz in the rear Crown food court (while he was suspended)
  • Large group of Brisbane players walked out of the back room of a cafe in Woolloongabba, as I ate lunch out the front
  • Several Geelong players in the Sofitel lobby in Brisbane (don’t know names)
  • Glenn Archer on a tram near Carlton, in a suit/shirt
  • Mick Malthouse + Glen Jakovich at the Lindt Cafe at Southgate. I awkwardly (almost rudely) walked through and separated them
  • Simon Goodwin (in a Melbourne top) going down an escalator at Southgate Plaza (next to the Lindt Cafe), by himself. He was smiling about something
  • Jarrod Waite out driving/shopping in Moonee Ponds (many times), usually with his window down
  • Leroy Jetta at a kebab shop (looking bored like everyone else during the long wait)
  • Wayne Carey on the phone near Freshwater Place
  • Billy Brownless buying a sandwich at a bakery in Clarendon St. (just after the Lyon scandal - the shopkeeper greeted him enthusiastically)
  • Anthony Stevens outside The Gabba hours before a game in 2016, he said hi to my dad
  • Trent Cotchin at a cafe in Essendon (at least 3 times), heaps of Essendon players too (don’t know names)
  • Trent Cotchin + Brandon Ellis at a restaurant in Moonee Ponds
  • Dyson Heppell walking into the Essendon Post Office
  • Dennis Pagan at the Royal Hotel in Essendon with others (around the time of his “Open Mike” interview)
  • Dustin Fletcher and Aaron Davey taking their kids to school (several times)
  • James Hird + Kevin Sheedy having breakfast at MJ’s (now Austen Tearoom) (around the time they were finishing at Essendon), they went awkwardly quiet as I walked past
  • Scott Cummings outside Retravision at Watergardens in Taylors Lakes
  • Mark McVeigh at the next table in the Keilor Hotel (birthday party I think)

Other (not players):
  • Gillon McLachlan: (with a bunch of Western Bulldogs supporters) came and sat within reach for part of the AFLW grand final at Princes Park, in the stand occupied by Lions supporters
  • I also nearly collided with Gillon during post-game kick-to-kick on the SCG (Adam Goodes “War Cry” game)
  • Mark Robinson: in the queue with him buying tacos at the food court several times. Also seen him several times on the phone in Southbank
  • Jordan Lewis’s mother helped mine after she fell down the stairs at a VFL game, and injured her shoulder
  • Jeff Kennett: sat on his knee during a media conference around the 1999 election

Back