Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Godspeed

Team Captain
Mar 11, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
FC St. Pauli
Will Minson and I were at the same Uni graduation. I saw him over the crowd (he is quite tall) eat about 30 prawn cocktails and down an indeterminate amount of champagne.

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
I was walking down Swan St one Fri night, about 1am, with a mate. It was around 2010. 2 blokes walked past us. One was Spider Everitt. As they got close I noticed his height first, and then looked at his face and realised it was him. As I looked at him, he locked eyes with me with a piercing, almost unfriendly stare. It was a bit intimidating and I looked away. Then I got a souvlaki.

ford71

All Australian
Apr 26, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The HV Vikings / Glenelg FC
I saw Max Gawn walking through the crowd at the 2019 SANFL grand final.
He is tall.
And Glenelg won.

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
I got my first job as a physiotherapist in 2004, at a private practice in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. After about 6 months I broke my hand playing basketball, had a metal plate put in, and couldn't work for about 6 weeks. I didn't have income protection insurance so the clinic gave me a few shifts as a receptionist to help pay the bills. I did my first shift with the main receptionist, Jenny, there to look over my shoulder. Bob Rose walked in, and evidently knew Jenny. After they had greeted each other, Rose, who had not looked at me at this point, asked Jenny, "Is this the new receptionist, is it?" Jenny said, "Yeah, that's Rich, our new receptionist for a few weeks". Rose replied, "And how is she going?" Apologies mods if this is too interesting, and belongs in the 'Bob Rose is a campaigner' thread.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I got my first job as a physiotherapist in 2004, at a private practice in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. After about 6 months I broke my hand playing basketball, had a metal plate put in, and couldn't work for about 6 weeks. I didn't have income protection insurance so the clinic gave me a few shifts as a receptionist to help pay the bills. I did my first shift with the main receptionist, Jenny, there to look over my shoulder. Bob Rose walked in, and evidently knew Jenny. After they had greeted each other, Rose, who had not looked at me at this point, asked Jenny, "Is this the new receptionist, is it?" Jenny said, "Yeah, that's Rich, our new receptionist for a few weeks". Rose replied, "And how is she going?" Apologies mods if this is too interesting, and belongs in the 'Bob Rose is a campaigner' thread.
Jenny sounds like the campaigner in that story, I bet her name is actually Karen.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
Walked past Chris Scott wheeling his bike along the Barwon river the last week. Bike seemed fine so not sure why he wasn’t riding it, but I didn’t ask as he was looking at the ground, indicating he wasn’t interested in engagement of any kind.

Walked past Chris Scott wheeling his bike along the Barwon river the last week. Bike seemed fine so not sure why he wasn’t riding it, but I didn’t ask as he was looking at the ground, indicating he wasn’t interested in engagement of any kind.

Barwon River would suggest Chris, I suppose.

Although it was a very Brad-like coaching performance in the GF, so maybe they've been switching roles?

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Back in when he was playing for West Coast, my physio was Brad Ebert's GF now wife Bec.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Back in when he was playing for West Coast, my physio was Brad Ebert's GF now wife Bec.
Not even a direct encounter; that's gold standard boring.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Wow that's sad, he'd have been proper young. What did he die of?

It’s really strange I can’t find any reference to it anywhere, just a whole bunch of notices to say that he’d passed away. He was living back in the states, had four kids and was 49. I found an article where former teammate Dion Scott talked about how sad it was.

Not that any death is a nice one but I really hope it wasn’t something self-harm related

It’s really strange I can’t find any reference to it anywhere, just a whole bunch of notices to say that he’d passed away. He was living back in the states, had four kids and was 49. I found an article where former teammate Dion Scott talked about how sad it was.

Not that any death is a nice one but I really hope it wasn’t something self-harm related
If he was an ex sportsman with lingering pain and injuries in America with the opioid madness over there accidental prescription pill od could be possible.

MVille Swan

Senior List
Aug 13, 2016
Inner West
AFL Club
Sydney
Boring non encounter with very obscure player. 11/10.
During his playing days at the Swans he (Sanford Wheeler) once jogged past me as I was standing waiting to cross
at the lights at the corner of Broadway & City Rd in Chippendale. I was impressed that he was out running, it was a
very hot day in summer. He was the first African-American born player to play in the AFL. Sadly he died in March
this year aged 49 from some kind of heart disease I believe.

Back