Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw Jarrod Witts eating breakfast with his partner in a northern NSW cafe late last year. He was across the other side of the room so I'm not sure what he ordered. I like to think it was the eggs benedict.
The uncertainty lends this sighting an air of excitement and mystery that might be seen to exclude it from this thread.

Right after the trade period when Ellis got sent to GC I pulled up at a red light in Melbourne‘s northern suburbs and happened to glance to my left and Brandon Ellis was the driver of the car next to me, also stopped at the lights. His right forearm was resting out the open window so the tattoo confirmed my hunch that it was him. Was driving a decent car, made that really deep, loud engine noise. I’m not a car person but I had a view that a lot of after market work had been done under the hood. As the light turned green my mind began to wonder how he planned to get his car up north.

I was walking down the street 3 or maybe 4 years ago or possibly not as long ago and I saw a really tall white guy and it wasn't Andrew Bogut or Luc Longley as I've seen them on tv so I knew it wasn't a basketballer and it must have been a footballer I guess a ruckman. I probably should have asked did he know Jack Watts but I didn't. Oh one thing I forgot it was Elizabeth Street in Melbourne if that helps.

(ps apologies for the vagueness but as a Sydney Swans supporter the only players I know are Lance 'Buddy' Franklin & Jack '**** & swimming' Watts).

Last edited:
I’ve got several. Before you read any further rest assured I didn’t speak to any of them so that minimises chances of this inadvertently straying into interesting territory.

Was at Maroochydore airport the other day and saw Leigh Matthews at the baggage collection. He was greeting a couple of travellers. They looked close, potentially family. Matthews is actually quite a bit taller than I thought he would be which was interesting to me. I pointed out to my 13 year old daughter who had no idea who Lethal was and she suggested I talk to Lethal. I said no, he didn’t know me and I didn’t know him, I just knew “of” him, plus it could result in something interesting.

Which reminded me of one probably 8 years ago now also on the Goldy. I was at SeaWorld and saw this guy who was pretty well put together, and realised it was Gary Ablett junior with what I assume was his girlfriend at the time. Again risking this becoming interesting, he was dressed in a kind of baggy, US sports style wearing a singlet and I thought “Geez, I hope he put sunscreen on.” because he’s really quite pale and with the lack of hair and all. He did have a cap on which was good.

Another time on the Goldy I went for a jog and James Hird ran past. This was pre PED scandal but when he was Essendon coach and at the risk of being interesting, James did look particularly tanned. I can’t comment on his erectile capabilities at that moment however.

Then another time on the Goldy I saw Mark “Jacko” Jackson camped at a Broadbeach cafe most days. He was sitting on a chair.

I haven’t seen any Richmond players in kebab incidents but I hold out hope.

G.A snr presented the Warragul harness racing cup 10+ years ago. He arrived late, was wearing a ‘two shade’ suit - the top half was dark grey and the sleeves were too long, and the bottom half was a lighter shade of grey and the pants were too short at the bottom so could see his white socks.

Third hand but I got told he was late because he came with his mum and they hired a car from a rental place in Glen Waverley, he went to the toilet while his mum was filling out the paperwork and he hadn’t come out after half an hour. Someone went to check and found he’d climbed out a window in the dunny backing onto the car yard/garage and was found hiding behind a car 🤷‍♂️

G.A snr presented the Warragul harness racing cup 10+ years ago. He arrived late, was wearing a ‘two shade’ suit - the top half was dark grey and the sleeves were too long, and the bottom half was a lighter shade of grey and the pants were too short at the bottom so could see his white socks.

Third hand but I got told he was late because he came with his mum and they hired a car from a rental place in Glen Waverley, he went to the toilet while his mum was filling out the paperwork and he hadn’t come out after half an hour. Someone went to check and found he’d climbed out a window in the dunny backing onto the car yard/garage and was found hiding behind a car 🤷‍♂️
I have significant concerns regarding this post.

Whilst the first paragraph meets the thread's criteria the second clearly enters 'interesting' territory.

I don't know who you are. I don't know why you would post something interesting. I can tell you I do have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long auditing career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you take the second paragraph down now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will bore you.

I have significant concerns regarding this post.

Whilst the first paragraph meets the thread's criteria the second clearly enters 'interesting' territory.

I don't know who you are. I don't know why you would post something interesting. I can tell you I do have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long auditing career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you take the second paragraph down now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will bore you.
The lack of hat or suitable headwear commentary is also of concern

Hoping this fits the requirements of the topic.

Was visiting a client at their home around 10 years ago , front and centre was a family photo with what looked like Paul Hudson in the back row.

I asked if that was Paul Hudson in the photo , the client confirmed it was his son in law . End conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping this fits the requirements of the topic.

Was visiting a client at their home around 10 years ago , front and centre was a family photo with what looked like Paul Hudson in the back row.

I asked if that was Paul Hudson in the photo , the client confirmed it was his son in law . End conversation.

it fits mate it fits like a glove

There was a cafe in Mount Lawley that’s closed down now that I used to go to a fair bit. Scott Lycett met Andrew Gaff and someone else, who was probably an Eagles player that I didn’t recognise, there one time for lunch.

Walked past Jonathon Patton as he was entering an internet cafe about 12mths ago. Thought it was odd at the time, but he was carrying a 2L pump-bottle of slip-and-slide. We made eye contact, and acknowledged each other with a nod of the head.

Similar story to that last weekend. Mitch Hahn and his young daughter walked past me at Westfield Chermside, in Brisbane. Was so torn to stop and chat, but I had my 2 young kids with me and in all likelihood it would have just been a weird interaction.

Can guarantee noone else in that whole place would have known who he was. Part of me wondered if he would have appreciated being recognised.
At a game a few years back a friend recognised Peter Quill and he was pretty happy someone recognised him. Had a chat about the game, friendly guy.

Walked past Jonathon Patton as he was entering an internet cafe about 12mths ago. Thought it was odd at the time, but he was carrying a 2L pump-bottle of slip-and-slide. We made eye contact, and acknowledged each other with a nod of the head.

He probably felt an instant connection to you, as he was expecting to be the only one there carrying a 2L pump-bottle of slip-and-slide.

He probably felt an instant connection to you, as he was expecting to be the only one there carrying a 2L pump-bottle of slip-and-slide.

Oh, I see you were there... I thought it was you. Yeah, it was most certainly I who was the other person carrying a 2L pump-bottle as we crossed paths. I was carrying it back to the car from Bunnings. Needed it to lube up the fan belt in the old panel-van if memory serves me correct.

Also, if I'm not mistaken I reckon as he and I crossed path I saw you entering a 'massage parlour' across the road which is run by half a dozen Thai lady-boys.

I saw Trent Cotchin in Trentham last Saturday. I wondered if he visited there because of the similarity in names.

I saw Garrick Ibbotson and Brady Grey walk into the Subway in Myaree once. I was sitting in the car about 20m away and didn’t engage them. I got out of the car and went into Bunnings and then I saw Nat Fyfe buying some hardware. What a day. I still talk about it every Xmas.

Oh, I see you were there... I thought it was you. Yeah, it was most certainly I who was the other person carrying a 2L pump-bottle as we crossed paths. I was carrying it back to the car from Bunnings. Needed it to lube up the fan belt in the old panel-van if memory serves me correct.

Also, if I'm not mistaken I reckon as he and I crossed path I saw you entering a 'massage parlour' across the road which is run by half a dozen Thai lady-boys.

LOL. My weak joke made you sad.

I saw Garrick Ibbotson and Brady Grey walk into the Subway in Myaree once. I was sitting in the car about 20m away and didn’t engage them. I got out of the car and went into Bunnings and then I saw Nat Fyfe buying some hardware. What a day. I still talk about it every Xmas.
So much excitement. I bet you can barely contain yourself!

There was a cafe in Mount Lawley that’s closed down now that I used to go to a fair bit. Scott Lycett met Andrew Gaff and someone else, who was probably an Eagles player that I didn’t recognise, there one time for lunch.
Can you describe the unknown player? Maybe someone here could figure out who it might have been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back