Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

When Cam McCarthy had his break in 2016, I actually saw him at Richmond Station one week night. He was a bit ahead of me as we walked towards the gate, he turned around and shook his head at me to indicate that the entrance was closed. We changed direction to head for the other entrance and I was now in the lead. This gate was open and I tapped on, not sure if he did

Not AFL, but I once walked past former Australian cricketer Jon Hastings at Balnarring market. He was leaning against a wall talking on his phone. I continued walking and bought a souvlaki. It was underwhelming.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Not AFL, but I once walked past former Australian cricketer Jon Hastings at Balnarring market. He was leaning against a wall talking on his phone. I continued walking and bought a souvlaki. It was underwhelming.

That market is on today

Colin Garland used to be part owner of my local before it closed late last year, along with his two brothers. He'd come in semi-regularly. One time he changed all the stools at the bar to newer ones he'd just bought.

Colin still has the physique of someone who used to be a professional athlete. His brothers both have the physique of people who spend all day, every day in a pub.

Also a couple of years ago Todd Goldstein walked past me. I noticed he looked really depressed and then a couple of months later all those rumours about his marriage falling apart started coming out.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I took a piss next to John Hastings at the Depot once after a day (3?) of a Boxing Day test. I was wearing a Tasmania Mercantile Mutual Cup shirt so once we were both done he made me go with him so he could introduce me to his Tasmanian friend Gerard Denton.

I took a piss next to John Hastings at the Depot once after a day (3?) of a Boxing Day test. I was wearing a Tasmania Mercantile Mutual Cup shirt so once we were both done he made me go with him so he could introduce me to his Tasmanian friend Gerard Denton.

See, you've made the story interesting there. GD was in and around the Tassie side during our strongest ever period. If you cricinfo'd him, I bet he played at least 30 or 40 Shield games, which is more than most people would think.

He could bowl a bit, but even at Shield level one of the most number 11 batsmen of number 11 batsmen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See, you've made the story interesting there. GD was in and around the Tassie side during our strongest ever period. If you cricinfo'd him, I bet he played at least 30 or 40 Shield games, which is more than most people would think.

He could bowl a bit, but even at Shield level one of the most number 11 batsmen of number 11 batsmen.

the story is pretty boring. it doesnt even feature an afl/vfl player

I walked past Richo a little while ago in Elwood.
I actually didn’t realise it was him until the instant as I was passing him by. He had his kid strapped to him and a smile on his face. There’s no doubt in my mind I would have got a “gday mate!” If I bothered to notice him sooner.

A few days ago I headed down to the local cafe near work for the regular 10am coffee to notice a bloke that I initially thought was Paul Roos having a latte out the front. On closer inspection it wasn't him but a very close doppelganger. Then on the way out I happened to look at the bloke he was sitting with and thought 'hey thats Robert Walls', but it wasn't him either. Eerily similar though, probably not quite as tall although it was hard to gauge as he was sitting down.

In hindsite this is probably the wrong thread but I can't see any for boring VFL/AFL doppelganger encounters...

I saw quite a prominent, not-long retired former Richmond premiership player coming out of a bong shop in Alphington a couple of days ago.

I couldn't decide whether it was a boring encounter or not. On one hand, coming out of a bong shop is pretty juicy, but on the other hand he's retired now, so who cares?

A few days ago I headed down to the local cafe near work for the regular 10am coffee to notice a bloke that I initially thought was Paul Roos having a latte out the front. On closer inspection it wasn't him but a very close doppelganger. Then on the way out I happened to look at the bloke he was sitting with and thought 'hey thats Robert Walls', but it wasn't him either. Eerily similar though, probably not quite as tall although it was hard to gauge as he was sitting down.

In hindsite this is probably the wrong thread but I can't see any for boring VFL/AFL doppelganger encounters...
Sure way to determine if it was either of those blokes;

Roos; Mention some aspect of the game and if he responds "back when I was coaching.....", it's him.
Walls; Well we all know where this going...mention how to improve some KPP and if the response is "spell in the ruck", you've got your man.

Nah, this is the right thread.

That story is awesome.

Back in the day was at Star Bar and Jarryd Roughead entered the joint. Didn’t say anything to him but thought to myself, “damn, that’s a rough head”
His Mrs is stunning, some dudes get all the luck, he seems like a cool dude though.

Last edited:
Many years ago, must've been mid-late 2008 I played a mixed basketball game @ Eltham High one night. I was drunk as I'd been at the pub celebrating finishing up my Advanced Diploma that day. There was a bloke on their team that was rather big that caught my eye. Jarryd Roughead, although the team sheet didn't have that name listed. No Phil Inn either. I said to him "I know who you are".

I can't remember if we won or lost but I do recall that he wasn't very good, certainly not as good as I'd expected. I was s**t, as I tended to be - drunk or sober. Either way we both had good years in '08...

Spida Everitt, again.
Is playing in a drunken Australia day cricket match on the field opposite our house.
Was waiting to go out to bat as Your the voice played on the radio next to him.

I saw quite a prominent, not-long retired former Richmond premiership player coming out of a bong shop in Alphington a couple of days ago.

I couldn't decide whether it was a boring encounter or not. On one hand, coming out of a bong shop is pretty juicy, but on the other hand he's retired now, so who cares?
If you can't mention their name its too exciting for here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back