Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
NRL one but with an AFL link.

Saw Craig Bellamy after a Storm game in 2006 when Akermanis was looking for a new club and told Bellamy he should recruit him to Storm as he would make a good winger in NRL. I was drinking a can of Jim Beam at the time and Bellamy pointed to my can and said 'you've had too many of them' he never took my suggestion and recruited Aker.

I met Bellamy at an Australia Day function in 2007. The night before I got paralytic and ran one through the woman I would eventually marry: turned out I had knocked her up at first attempt but that’s another story.

I was working for the paper and had to interview Bellamy as he was the ambassador for Australia Day - he’s from the area and played for the local footy club many years before.

When I went to interview him he recoiled ad said ‘big night?’ I said ‘how did you know.’ He said ‘you smell like an ash tray and don’t look much better.’

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I met Bellamy at an Australia Day function in 2007. The night before I got paralytic and ran one through the woman I would eventually marry: turned out I had knocked her up at first attempt but that’s another story.

I was working for the paper and had to interview Bellamy as he was the ambassador for Australia Day - he’s from the area and played for the local footy club many years before.

When I went to interview him he recoiled ad said ‘big night?’ I said ‘how did you know.’ He said ‘you smell like an ash tray and don’t look much better.’
Sorry That's too interesting for this thread.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

index.jpg

Mar 18, 2008
Goulburn Valley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Texas Longhorns
Yesterday I was having a coffee at a Brighton cafe. Scott Pendelbury pulled up in a white Tesla with his son. The pair entered the cafe and then exited about 5 minutes later. Can confirm he bought his son a babychino with two marshmallows, however he dropped one of them as they walked across the street back to the Tesla.

dmac_55

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Saw Jaegar at a coffee shop on Avoca street after a recent Brownlow medal night (May have been 2 days earlier) in South Yarra. He was having Brekky and I was getting a coffee. As I walked past him I told him I bet on him for getting most votes for his club, he awkwardly laughed at me.

Tom Mitchell was the favourite for the hawks that year to poll the most and I made like 4.50 off jaegar.

Rabish Binney

Left out overnight
Sep 7, 2021
Off the land, rural SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt; Man City
Yesterday I was having a coffee at a Brighton cafe. Scott Pendelbury pulled up in a white Tesla with his son. The pair entered the cafe and then exited about 5 minutes later. Can confirm he bought his son a babychino with two marshmallows, however he dropped one of them as they walked across the street back to the Tesla.
1. Need the colour of the marshmallows
2. Did you pick up the said dropped marshmallow?

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was on holiday on Hamilton Island in 2012 .

Doing laps in the golf buggy we passed a guy and his partner also in a golf buddy, the guy was driving flamboyantly almost selling candy like to pedestrians.
As we passed the guy gave me the thumbs up and a smile ......as a mortal enemy of his club I didnt want to respond , yet instictive returned the favour .

My wife asked ' who is that guy , do you know him from work '
Me ' thats Steve Johnson'

Still filthy I returned the thumbs up and smile .....

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
at Big Dubya this morning, men's wear, he was in white tracky dacks, having a todler in one arm while trying to call for the other...Oscar, Oscar

was Sam Gilbert

(Big W, Chapel St no less)

CH Jazz

Team Captain
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very happy to report that I have just experienced my best most boring sighting.

Spent many hours last night at one of the truely great dive bars, Frankie’s in Sydney. I was drinking heavily and broke the seal after approximately 5 drinks which triggered frequent trips to the very small men’s toilet thereafter.

On one such venture to the mens, I was at the urinal. My adherence to urinal policy was strong; eyes forward.

It was busy, people were drunk and there were several people behind me in a very cramped bathroom waiting for access to the urinal when one gentleman rather loudly said “you’re a footballer”. At this point, due to my commitment to the urinal policy I had no capacity to see the target of this comment.

A response was offered; “I used to be a footballer”. Again, my field of vision did not waver from front and centre.

I couldn’t help but feel the ex footballer’s voice was very familiar, but I was in Sydney so I assumed it may have been an NRL sighting.

At this point a third individual joined the frey with “you’re Mark Harvey”.

This revelation triggered yet another drunken individual to make a contribution which was a loud announcement of “Ross Lyon is a c*nt”.

As an individual who holds a similar view about Ross, I appreciated the candor that this inebriated chap brought to the exchange.

At this point my work at the urinal was complete allowing my field of vision to expand and I was able to visually confirm it was indeed Mark Harvey and for the sake of completeness, he was hatless.

Now at this stage of the sighting, it became clear that like many of us in the bathroom, old mate Mark Harvey had been enjoying many hours of heavy drinking.

His response to the “Ross Lyon is a c*nt” comment was “yes he fuc*ing is, he really is a total c*unt”.

The individual who made the initial Ross Lyon observation reiterated the claim; “Ross Lyon is a cu*t”. For a second time, and with a distinct slur to his voice, Mark Harvey responded with confirmation that he shared that view.

To loiter in the men’s bathroom any longer at this point would have been weird so I exited and did not see Mark in the bar thereafter.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
While staring out the window of my place of work I noticed Roarke Smith grab a takeaway coffee from the cafe opposite while walking his dog.

He did not bring a KeepCup so a disposable cup it was with frowns all round.

Perhaps not coincidentally Roarke has been omitted from tonight's squad to take on the pies.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Speaking of ex-Freo people, I walked past Brad Hill walking his dog near where I lived in Perth back when he was still playing for Freo.

I can confirm he was wearing a cap and he pulled it down to try and hide his identity but he didn't fool me, I knew who he was and he knew it.

I think me eyeballing him was the trigger for him requesting a trade to St Kilda.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cricket one but here goes.

In the 90s we saw Richie Benaud walking out of the NCG after a mercantile metal cup game. He said 'G'day boys'

My brothers friend said 'is that the cream the bone the white the off white the ivory or the bage. Which I'm sure no on had ever asked him before.

Richie didn't reply and walked off

Last edited:
Back