Most Controversial Umpiring Moments In AFL History?

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba's point in the 97 Preliminary Final.
NRoo's dive in the 09 Preliminary Final. Aker's deliberate in the same game. NRoo's last goal in the same game. Saints first goal in that match....

Max Rooke on B Johnson in the Prelim in 2008.

You always remember the ones that cost you, you seem to forget the ones that go your way.....

"In play".

I don’t know if we would have won in 06 if we beat them in 05 but that was one of the all time Tribunial hatchet jobs. ‘In Play’ indeed. Could have argued it was low impact or something but to treat us all like idiots and claim ‘in play’...far out.

It was further compounded by them clearing Travis Gaspar for elbowing Ken McGregor, thus entering the GF with Gaspar and Gardiner as key forwards....probably had more of an impact than Barry Hall!

A few doozies for sure, but if you go into slow motion and close in freeze frames then I think you could find hundreds of missed frees like this in every game. But I dont think the 2017 grand final was poorly umpired.

A few doozies for sure, but if you go into slow motion and close in freeze frames then I think you could find hundreds of missed frees like this in every game. But I dont think the 2017 grand final was poorly umpired.
Agree, Grug_ thought the GF was umpired spot on.

Of course if you put the slow motion on any game free kicks appear. It comes down to the feel of the game, and quite obviously a lot of Adelaide posters have never played at all. Fortunately the umpires had a great feel for the game and umpired accordingly

Last edited:
I don’t know if we would have won in 06 if we beat them in 05 but that was one of the all time Tribunial hatchet jobs. ‘In Play’ indeed. Could have argued it was low impact or something but to treat us all like idiots and claim ‘in play’...far out.
Why? The definition at the time of 'in play' included a player who could reasonably be involved in the next passage of play, which Hall was.

Disgusting comments from Cam Mooney "you've lost us the game do you understand that." What a childish comment to make to an umpire.

What part of that tackle was in the back?

The part where Mooneys landed on the ground to the left of him?

:)

NJPrdLQ.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the most controversial is between Diesel and Coates. The ump had no issues whatsoever, but the AFL stepped in, handed down a bizarre, never to be repeated, 9 game suspension that ended Diesel’s career.

I’d been an avid football attendee for years and geez, must’ve been at least 5 years before I attended another game after this. I was filthy. I only really started following the game again when Carlton stumbled and needed support, but I’ve never gone back to the level of support I was at previously, probably never will.

whispers in the sky. umpire even bragged it was good to get a win. afl pulled a swifty to cover it up.
ump should have been sacked on the spot, and instead the afl basically made them untouchable.
Yup, whispers in the sky was cheating, simple

The entire game between port and north in hobart, 2013.

http://m.afl.com.au/match-centre/2013/6/nmfc-v-port

38 free kicks to 15. The most blatantly corrupt umpiring you'll ever see in a game of footy. After awarding north yet another free kick in the last quarter, the ump gives the north player a little pat on the bum as if to say well done mate.

Phil Carmen and Graham Carbery.

Could you imagine an umpire these days fronting up to a player like he did and chesting them?

Timmy Watson, who would have been about 18 at the time, coming up and pulling Carmen away.

Last edited:
One of the most controversial is between Diesel and Coates. The ump had no issues whatsoever, but the AFL stepped in, handed down a bizarre, never to be repeated, 9 game suspension that ended Diesel’s career.

I’d been an avid football attendee for years and geez, must’ve been at least 5 years before I attended another game after this. I was filthy. I only really started following the game again when Carlton stumbled and needed support, but I’ve never gone back to the level of support I was at previously, probably never will.

I know there was no malice in it, but it's interesting to see umpires come up and put their hands on a player, particularly when the player is in such a volatile state.

When John Bourke sat the umpire on his arse in the Army Reserve Cup all those years ago, just looking at it again now and all of the umpires come running in and put their hands on Bourke.

Agree, Grug_ thought the GF was umpired spot on.

Of course if you put the slow motion on any game free kicks appear. It comes down to the feel of the game, and quite obviously a lot of Adelaide posters have never played at all. Fortunately the umpires had a great feel for the game and umpired accordingly

What does "feel" for the game even mean?
Some of those decision are just blatant bad umpiring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back