Most disappointing flash in the pan player

Remove this Banner Ad

There was an Butcher (meat trade) who played for Fitzroy on the wing in the 80's. They plucked him from the local league. In his first season he got 4+ BOG Brownlow votes and was never heard of again.
Anyone else remember him? Can't think of his name.

Him and Kepler Bradley were two really odd selections by Essendon in the mid-2000s that could never justify themselves as players. Bradley was basically a really tall winger who could occasionally ruck, but could never really justify having any position on the ground.

Scott Gumbleton another flash in the pan that disappointed.
He didn't disappoint, injuries ruined him. Big difference.

Adam Saliba.. played a cracking couple of games in 92, made the state of origin side in 92 then just like that... vanished

Brad Murphy - 25 touches and 2 goals on debut against Port in Darwin (2004), but the Dogs got flogged :(

He barely fired a shot after that and only played another 6 games. Delisted the following year :oops:

Martin McGrath. 5 goals on debut. Played 4 games.
Yeah, against us LOL. Ben Holland also kicked 6 goals that night. That summed up the Rohde days :drunk:

There was an Butcher (meat trade) who played for Fitzroy on the wing in the 80's. They plucked him from the local league. In his first season he got 4+ BOG Brownlow votes and was never heard of again.
Anyone else remember him? Can't think of his name.

That would be Mark Dwyer from Koroit who played 13 games for Fitzroy in 1986-87 and one game for St Kilda in 1988.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be Mark Dwyer from Koroit who played 13 games for Fitzroy in 1986-87 and one game for St Kilda in 1988.
Thanks for that what an amazing story. From the bush to 10 Brownlow votes in your first 8 games in the same season.

Ahh Richard Tambling, pick 4 in draft, awesome junior, played great in first pracie match for richmond. Ahh Spud..

Jason Heatley
Adrian McAdam
Allen Jackovich
Stevan Jurica
Andrew McDougall

McDougall especially. I thought he'd go on to become a 100+ goal a year forward. Had all the makings of a varsity athlete, but didn't deliver.

Small hands. That's what it was.

From old Fitzroy, I remember a bloke called Dale Fleming.

He'd been tearing it up in the reserves for a few weeks, got called into the senior team, and promptly kicked four goals in a stirring win over Carlton. A big career was on the cards!

Never heard of him again.
I remember that campaigner. Pretty sure he was in my 1992 football player sticker book. Or maybe the cards from the next year.

Scott Hodges absolute gun but wasn't really committed to AFL still kicked 100 goals from 38 games

Josh Bootsma

His debut and first 2 or 3 games overall were quite good for a first/second year player and had all the makings of a cult figure (funny looking, a name the crowd can yell out when he's near the ball).

Too bad he turned out to be a massive weirdo

Bootsma definitely showed a bit.

On field he started pretty well to :p

Who was the fella Cuthbertson who kicked a few bags of goals and took some hangers for the demons in his first few games in the 90's and then just disappeared?
I remember watching a footy panel show where one of the panelists ( can't remember which one) said he would win a Brownlow

Danny Del-Rey..

Western Bulldogs
62 games. 139 goals.
Kicked 70 goals in 1992.
(13 games in finals, Including an 8 goal Qual-final)
Topped the dogs goal kicking 93-94

Delisted 1995.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back