Most dishonest players in the comp? Your top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't get such huge data outliers across such a big sample without something being out of place. Otherwise it is simply not possible that Selwood receive the most free kicks of any AFL player since 1990 (200 ahead of the next) in just 304 games. That he could average 2.6 free kicks per game (next best ever for a player with over 100 games played is 2).

You cannot do that in such a huge data sample unless there is some sort of unique variance at play.

You also don't get poster after poster all saying the same thing about a single player if, despite the data and the popular evidence, there is nothing to see here.

so what are you attributing this data anomaly to?

firstly, can we just outright set aside any nonsense relating to posts on BF, as I have seen all manner of biased, irrelevant and just plain stupid posts on here, day in, day out, on a range of topics, to render such a metric as being completely unreliable and hopelessly compromised.

given that Selwood is a statistical outlier in terms of head-high free kicks received - which is a fact - what are you putting it down to?

firstly, I hope you’d agree that it is plain idiocy to suggest that the umpiring fraternity has conspired to give one player and one player only a free ride in this regard?

if we can agree on that, then it comes down to interpretation of the rule itself.

does Joel Selwood sit on the rules committee? No.

Does he adjudicate the head high infringements in-play? Nope.

Is he obliged to let opposition players tackle him without trying to break that tackle (legally; we’re not disputing that his actions infringe upon the tackler, are we? His technique does not entail anything in the nature of a high fend-off, would you agree?)? No.

and so it comes down to each umpires interpretation of the rule.
it’s not incumbent on Joel Selwood to either meekly accept being tackled, nor is it up to him to officiate the matches (or write the rules).

given that this thread concerns player ‘dishonesty’ I’m not sure he really qualifies at all.
You seem to be implying (and I’m happy for you to clarify further) that there is something fishy afoot; my belief is that Selwood has developed a technique for breaking (or attempting to break) tackles that forces umpires to make a decision; was the tackle reasonable? And/or did Selwood himself contribute to the high contact?

Either way, Selwood is within his rights to try to break the tackle, and isn’t doing a thing wrong.
If you don’t agree with how every umpire in the comp has adjudicated this admittedly interpretive rule over a 13-year period, then that’s your right. But it won’t change anything.

Agreed.

Because he's perfected the "selwood move", does that mean hawthorn fans don't boo selwood when he does it though?
Puopolos move is different to Selwood. Puopolo would - maybe still does, cant recall - fall into the tacklers arm taking himself if no free paid out of play. Selwood tends to shrug the tackle keeps his feet and looks to play on.

You don't get such huge data outliers across such a big sample without something being out of place. Otherwise it is simply not possible that Selwood receive the most free kicks of any AFL player since 1990 (200 ahead of the next) in just 304 games. That he could average 2.6 free kicks per game (next best ever for a player with over 100 games played is 2).

You cannot do that in such a huge data sample unless there is some sort of unique variance at play.

You also don't get poster after poster all saying the same thing about a single player if, despite the data and the popular evidence, there is nothing to see here.
Buddys goals per game since Mathew Lloyd

lol @ the offended mod that deleted my posts saying I was derailing the thread and threatened to ban me for listing the players as per the topic at hand. Wouldn't happen to be a Tigers or Hawks fan would you?

so what are you attributing this data anomaly to?

f

Is he obliged to let opposition players tackle him without trying to break that tackle (legally; we’re not disputing that his actions infringe upon the tackler, are we? His technique does not entail anything in the nature of a high fend-off, would you agree?)? No.

a

You can make all the same arguments for diving. No player is obliged to play according to the rules or spirit of the game. Some will, some won't and will get penalised and some won't and won't get penalised.

Buddys goals per game since Mathew Lloyd

It is no where near the same stat. In fact goal kicking often throws up exceptional numbers because there are so few roles that actually offer the opportunity to kick multiples - maybe one or two in each team and that is stretching it. But in the midfield and involvement in play there are 7 or 8 in each team that have significant involvement (or could have). The sample is far more significant and credible.

I think there are 2-3 main reasons (for the difference in attitude)...

1. Frequency. Selwood is coming up to 800 free kicks awarded to him. He has been paid several hundred more free kicks than any other current day player. In fact, the gap between Selwood and the next highest player is not that far off Puopolo's entire career free kick tally. Obviously a big reason for that is Selwood gets much more of the ball, etc.
2. A number of Puopolo's high frees come because he is a midget. He is much shorter than basically all the guys that are tackling him and some high frees come without him needing to do anything. Selwood is over 6ft and a regular sized man - nearly all of his high contact has required 'assistance'. That's not say Puop doesn't 'get extra low by dropping his knees' - he does but not all of his high frees come that way
He definitely drops his knees. He made a career out of it mate. Selwood doesn’t duck, he just tries to evade the tackle by escaping downwards. The thing is, he never gets tackled with both arms pinned, if you do that he can’t try and escape. Puopolo just drops his knees. And Rioli constantly flopped and dropped his head.

I love everyone trying to defend those at their club? What’s the point? Stop looking through rose coloured glasses and accept it. Grimes is great diver, rance was even better and now Baker is coming along well at throwing the head back! Stop trying to defend the selwoods of the world he’s still a champion isn’t he?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeremy Cameron
Dangerfield
Papley
Toby Greene
Ablett
Neville Jetta
Tom Lynch
Grimes
Jared Polec
Ward

Three (3) premiership medals is a pretty good effort for a 'Dog poo' footballer - how many has Dangerflop won again..?
Lucky to play in a good side. Would have played less than 20 games in a lesser side. Dog. s**t. Footballer. Professional ducker

lol @ the offended mod that deleted my posts saying I was derailing the thread and threatened to ban me for listing the players as per the topic at hand. Wouldn't happen to be a Tigers or Hawks fan would you?

few deleted posts were by richmond posters too

few deleted posts were by richmond posters too
Yeah but my posts contained contributions to the topic, the Richmond poster was baiting and trolling about flags and finals. Sorry I offended you because I didn't bow down to Richmond though, hope you're doing ok.

He definitely drops his knees. He made a career out of it mate. Selwood doesn’t duck, he just tries to evade the tackle by escaping downwards. The thing is, he never gets tackled with both arms pinned, if you do that he can’t try and escape. Puopolo just drops his knees. And Rioli constantly flopped and dropped his head.

I know. I said he (Pop) drops his knees. Not sure about Rioli though - can't recall much from him (and you're the only one to mention him).

Yeah but my posts contained contributions to the topic, the Richmond poster was baiting and trolling about flags and finals. Sorry I offended you because I didn't bow down to Richmond though, hope you're doing ok.

No offence whatsoever.
For the record, I had a heap of posts deleted too. None related to geelong.

Maybe step away from the thread.

Last edited:
You can make all the same arguments for diving. No player is obliged to play according to the rules or spirit of the game. Some will, some won't and will get penalised and some won't and won't get penalised.

Partially agree; the 'spirit of the game' is absolutely irrelevant at the professional level and no I don't think anyone is obliged to play to something as arbitrary as that.
The rules; every player has to play within them, if they are not penalised for contravening the rules then it's on the umps.

Let's not make this about 'clubs', we all have them. In fact, it could be argued these guys are the best team-mates. They do whatever they can to win, but in no order, can you list the top 10 players that you've spotted doing a dodgy? Whether it be milk a free, karate kick someone to mark a ball, win an Oscar, duck like donald or flop like a fish.

Here are my top 10

Tom Papley
Gryan Miers
Paul Puopolo
Dylan Grimes
Ben Brown
Luke Shuey
Jack McCrae
Joel Selwood
Callan Ward
Toby Greene

What exactly has Jack Macrae done to be on that list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back