Most embarrassing moments

Remove this Banner Ad

This one has stuck in my head since I was a kid. Maybe a old doggie supporter can help with the name and time. But it was back at whitten oval and a Footscray player kicked for goal and it just sneaked through for a point. But the umpire awarded it as a goal anyway. The Footscray player then run up to him and tried to shake his hand.
Very funny moment
It was back to the 2's for that goal umpire.

1 point down against the doggies the wet, pritchard (about 9/10 years ago) had run all the way down from the wing, picks up the ball, runs into an open goal, and hits the post. Game was drawn.

Having met and become good mates with some opposition players in an interleague squad, next time we played them one of our blokes ran past one of them calling for and receiving a handball. It was only 20m out and he goaled.

Anthony Merrington trying to mark a 20m pass from the kick out. It went through his hands, bounced off his head to Richard Osborne who ran around him and kicked a goal.

James Clement kicking the ball to himself only to kick it over his head and through for another point.

Two moments in the GF were pretty amusing (well for the opposition anyway):

1. Mathews pressuring Fletcher as he runs down the wing. Fletcher loses control of the ball, which somehow pops over his shoulder and straight into the arms of Mathews. The look of surprise on Benny's face in slo-mo was quite hilarious. He proceeds to turn around and run back into the Swans 50m, for a resulting goal.

2. Luke Ablett takes a freakish mark in the D50 with the Eagles pressuring. The his head explodes and he short passes across the face of goal straight into the arms of Cousins for an easy goal. They do say Cousins is taller than he looks ;)

Valkyrie said:
I still reckon he should have played on and kicked a goal. :D

He'd have had to bounce the ball a few times before getting within goalkicking distance!

Ty Zantuck running up to Quintin Lynch for a bit of biff after an incident, running straight into him and without Lynch even moving - Zantuck bounced off him, hit the deck and injured his knee.

local said:
This one has stuck in my head since I was a kid. Maybe a old doggie supporter can help with the name and time. But it was back at whitten oval and a Footscray player kicked for goal and it just sneaked through for a point. But the umpire awarded it as a goal anyway. The Footscray player then run up to him and tried to shake his hand.
Very funny moment

That was against us!! Was at the other end that day and Foster completely fluffed the kick - there were 26000 people in hysterics.

The funniest one I saw was one I mentioned in Long v McLeod thread regarding a curious bumping attempt by Crow Bruce Abernethy on the outer wing at Windy Hill. Fancy trying to be the bumper and ending up flat on your arse, in front of 23000 delirious Essendon fans!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

brilliant pies said:
I will never forget the superstar "kouta" when he played collingwood in 2003. Had the ball on the wing and kicked it 50m towards the collingwood goals. Went straight to didak who kicked a goal. Great moment. What was better is that we ended up winning by 15 goals
I love that too

local said:
Very funny moment

Think it was Peter Foster v Essendon.

igt22265 said:
Think it was Peter Foster v Essendon.
Foster was foolish to react as he did. He managed to humiliate the goal umpire unneccessarily. It could have counted against him when next he had a shot at goal that was close.

This ones for Celtic-Pride as this poster seem to be taking great delight in WCE losing the Grand Final

Carltons 2005 Wizard cup hangover :)

David Rodan slotting a beautiful goal against the Western Bulldogs...pity it wasn't in our forward 50.

Luke Parker's taunting of Shiel last night - he looked like a dorky little kid. Embarrassing

A few moments with an Essendon flavour:

1. Round 8 2002 Sydney v Essendon - Ricky Mott missing a set shot from 15m out on a slight angle to win the game for Sydney with barely any time left.

2. Round 5 2007 Essendon v Collingwood - Kepler Bradley passed the ball directly to Tarkyn Lockyer in the goal square all by himself. Cost us the game.

3. Round 10 2005 Port v Essendon - Ty Zantuck lining up for goal in the pocket. Went sideways out on full. Worst set shot I’ve ever seen.

4. EF 2009 Adelaide v Essendon - lost the match at selection going in with Nathan Lovett-Murray as starting ruck and Michael Quinn at FF. Lost by 96 pts.

5. Round 16 2010 Essendon v West Coast - Mark LeCras kicking 12 goals in a horrid loss at home to the bottom side. That was the end of Knights’ tenure.

6. The entire 2022 year so far. Whole club is an embarrassment and should be ashamed of its performances this year.

My dad says he saw Warwick Capper line up for goal after the siren went.

He played on, ran around the mark and snapped the goal.....and was apparently clueless as to why none of his team-mates were joining in his celebrations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back