Universal Love Most Exciting/Happiest Time as a Geelong Supporter

Which was your favourite Grand Final win?

• 2011 Collingwood

• 2009 St Kilda

• 2007 Port Adelaide

• 1963 Hawthorn

• 1952 Collingwood

• 1951 Essendon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from the premierships though, just standing on a bucket in the outer with my Dad watching Ablett Snr. in his prime.
Great comment. The other way round, I took iameviljez in that era, would be a few dads throwing a few bucks in and then 2 dads would go over the road and get fish & chips to share ( and have a couple of pots while they were cooking ...)

I’d have to say the 2007 premiership. Was just awesome and was nice to relax early and just enjoy.

Apart from the premierships though, just standing on a bucket in the outer with my Dad watching Ablett Snr. in his prime.

*Swoon*

I only saw GAS at KP once, but it was one of the best days ever - Rd17 KP 1995 + he kicked a lazy seven goals.

Also, one thing I do regret is missing the experience of standing on a bucket or a jam tin at KP :( Although, I've been to the Fred Flanagan Room, Morris Box, Box in Reg Hickey Stand, Premiership Stand, Peroni Lounge + the Gary Ablett Terrace + all were fantastic for different reasons, still I really love the Gary Ablett Terrace, standing up the back, banter with the oppo fans + the camaraderie with Geelong supporters.

I'm really, really sad the Gary Ablett Terrace is going to be replaced by a Stand, a sad end to an institution at KP. Also, I really loved Lamby's :(

Great comment. The other way round, I took iameviljez in that era, would be a few dads throwing a few bucks in and then 2 dads would go over the road and get fish & chips to share ( and have a couple of pots while they were cooking ...)
Oh, what a great memory! I love reading all these memories.

Also, those little things. I remember my junior membership was a little punch-ticket. They’d use a hole punch for each game.

Finals were great. I remember the ‘94 and ‘95 prelims especially as a kid.

In more ‘recent’ times, I loved taking my Canadian wife to the 2007 prelim. Was an experience for her. Definitely the best crowd I’ve been in. Even after the long train trip to the outer east I was buzzing and had no chance of sleeping. Had to go to a pub.

I was always on the 50m line in the outer. Just remember trotting along with my Dad with my big bucket covered in stickers. Wish I kept it! Haha

Also, those little things. I remember my junior membership was a little punch-ticket. They’d use a hole punch for each game.

Finals were great. I remember the ‘94 and ‘95 prelims especially as a kid.

In more ‘recent’ times, I loved taking my Canadian wife to the 2007 prelim. Was an experience for her. Definitely the best crowd I’ve been in. Even after the long train trip to the outer east I was buzzing and had no chance of sleeping. Had to go to a pub.

Amazing!

To describe an opposite experience, was at the Nick Davis Final with my Swans supporting Mum. I was so devastated, but Mum was always so generous + gracious when Geelong won, so I took her to the Swans party + yes, I kept my Geelong gear on.

I find sleeping after those night game wins really hard too, always go out + stagger home about 4am lol

*Swoon*

I only saw GAS at KP once, but it was one of the best days ever - Rd17 KP 1995 + he kicked a lazy seven goals.

Also, one thing I do regret is missing the experience of standing on a bucket or a jam tin at KP :( Although, I've been to the Fred Flanagan Room, Morris Box, Box in Reg Hickey Stand, Premiership Stand, Peroni Lounge + the Gary Ablett Terrace + all were fantastic for different reasons, still I really love the Gary Ablett Terrace, standing up the back, banter with the oppo fans + the camaraderie with Geelong supporters.

I'm really, really sad the Gary Ablett Terrace is going to be replaced by a Stand, a sad end to an institution at KP. Also, I really loved Lamby's :(
No wonder you give the Vodka a decent nudge. You haven't lived unless you've watched footy, perched in a tree at the Barwon end... or slid down the mud-hill behind that goal... or jumped the fence outside to fight for a :footy: as it sailed through the sticks :D

The premierships are on a different level but like a lot of other posters it was all about the game when i was a kid

We were always in the queue at Geelong when the gates opened with Dad and my uncle between them they had 2 milk creates for me and my brother sandwiches made by mum and a thermus of coffee we would buy a record (when they were $2 instead of $5) & always setup just behind the 2-3 rows of wooden seats.

Though you didn't know the people around you by name you knew that they were there for the same reason you were.

The VFL Curtain raiser or Falcons game would be on and i would be looking at the record for the players in the 2nds/VFL who could step up or if it was the Falcons who could we draft.

Half time would come and the Senior team would be out looking around at the conditions mostly it would be the midfield (Couch Buddha & Toby Bairstow) would hardly ever see Gary Snr - I don't think he believed in checking conditions, he would just dominate.

As soon as the 2nd half started in the 2's then you would know what sort of crowd would be in as the back of standing room in the left forward pocket at the City end Under the old scoreboard would be filling fast.

3 quarter time was a good time to be alive hot chocolate would be purchased for my brother and I. The curtain raiser would finish and then the cheer squad would could out with the banner it was then you knew that the waiting was worth it.

The Banner would be raised and the Cats would burst though to a rousing rendition of We are Geelong from the outer (trust me nothing has changed)

Id jump up and down on my Crate waiting to see which end we would kick too in the 1st quarter asking Dad how many he thought Gazza would kick.

Our Captain would always win the toss and kick to the old hickey stand end (The Geelong Cheer Squad was parked behind the City End Goals.

The Siren would sound and you would always take note of who Gazza & Billy were playing on as well as watching out for any fracas that might start don't think i was ever more excited at a game when a knew that Gazza was on the field you just knew something would happen.

When i was young (Late 80's) Gazza would be playing HFF or wing and just making things looks ridiculous - I was so young i thought everybody could do those things, little did i realize and what was happening on the field was stuff that I would be able to tell my own kids about

As the game went on you would hear things that young ears are not supposed to.

There were cheers for Marks taken by Billy and goals kicked by every Geelong player but the noise i loved most from the crowd was.........BALLLL!!!!
On most occasions by quarter time the Cats wouldn't be dominating but would be in the game

The rest of the game would just be an experience for the senses; the sights, smells and sounds of a game @ Kardinia Park were something to be remembered and hopefully you would get to see Gazza kick a bag or stand on the full backs head just to complete an awesome day.

Writing this today brings back memories as I took my 4 year old son (Joel named after our skipper) to KP last week. We might have seats now and it's a little more comfortable watching a game but the sounds haven't changed and hopefully his love for the Cats is never diminished. Gazza Snr gave me a few memories when I was a kid that i'll never forget and as Little Gazza was streaming through the centre of the ground to kick that goal last week I hope that is something my son can remember in years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When i was young (Late 80's) Gazza would be playing HFF or wing and just making things looks ridiculous - I was so young i thought everybody could do those things, little did i realize and what was happening on the field was stuff that I would be able to tell my own kids about
iameviljez

The premierships are on a different level but like a lot of other posters it was all about the game when i was a kid

We were always in the queue at Geelong when the gates opened with Dad and my uncle between them they had 2 milk creates for me and my brother sandwiches made by mum and a thermus of coffee we would buy a record (when they were $2 instead of $5) & always setup just behind the 2-3 rows of wooden seats.

Though you didn't know the people around you by name you knew that they were there for the same reason you were.

The VFL Curtain raiser or Falcons game would be on and i would be looking at the record for the players in the 2nds/VFL who could step up or if it was the Falcons who could we draft.

Half time would come and the Senior team would be out looking around at the conditions mostly it would be the midfield (Couch Buddha & Toby Bairstow) would hardly ever see Gary Snr - I don't think he believed in checking conditions, he would just dominate.

As soon as the 2nd half started in the 2's then you would know what sort of crowd would be in as the back of standing room in the left forward pocket at the City end Under the old scoreboard would be filling fast.

3 quarter time was a good time to be alive hot chocolate would be purchased for my brother and I. The curtain raiser would finish and then the cheer squad would could out with the banner it was then you knew that the waiting was worth it.

The Banner would be raised and the Cats would burst though to a rousing rendition of We are Geelong from the outer (trust me nothing has changed)

Id jump up and down on my Crate waiting to see which end we would kick too in the 1st quarter asking Dad how many he thought Gazza would kick.

Our Captain would always win the toss and kick to the old hickey stand end (The Geelong Cheer Squad was parked behind the City End Goals.

The Siren would sound and you would always take note of who Gazza & Billy were playing on as well as watching out for any fracas that might start don't think i was ever more excited at a game when a knew that Gazza was on the field you just knew something would happen.

As the game went on you would hear things that young ears are not supposed to.

There were cheers for Marks taken by Billy and goals kicked by every Geelong player but the noise i loved most from the crowd was.........BALLLL!!!!
On most occasions by quarter time the Cats wouldn't be dominating but would be in the game

The rest of the game would just be an experience for the senses; the sights, smells and sounds of a game @ Kardinia Park were something to be remembered and hopefully you would get to see Gazza kick a bag or stand on the full backs head just to complete an awesome day.

Writing this today brings back memories as I took my 4 year old son (Joel named after our skipper) to KP last week. We might have seats now and it's a little more comfortable watching a game but the sounds haven't changed and hopefully his love for the Cats is never diminished. Gazza Snr gave me a few memories when I was a kid that i'll never forget and as Little Gazza was streaming through the centre of the ground to kick that goal last week I hope that is something my son can remember in years to come.

Son of God, what a rousing story! This is one of the best posts I've ever read on BF. You captured every single moment of a game at KP. Brilliant writing + so evocative!

I still love it when the crowd shouts 'BALL!!!', it's one aspect that really defines our game. How amazing to have experienced such a time as a child at KP + a legendary team, + now to take your son to KP for him to see GAJ. Three generations all making life times of memories.

No wonder you give the Vodka a decent nudge. You haven't lived unless you've watched footy, perched in a tree at the Barwon end... or slid down the mud-hill behind that goal... or jumped the fence outside to fight for a :footy: as it sailed through the sticks :D

No, my childhood Aussie Rules was spent mainly in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. My Dad took me to games, to give my Mum a break. So from the age of three we followed Eastern Suburbs, Sydney University + Paddington, who played at Trumper Park, Sydney University + Waverley Oval, respectively. We sat in the Stands, Mum made sandwiches, two Thermoses of tea, Fruit Cake + the highlight of the day was when Dad bought me an ice cream. We used to kick the footy around, behind the white picket boundary fence. When I was older, we were allowed to run on to the Oval + kick the ball between the goals. Sometimes a friend would come with me, but usually it was Dad + me. Older again, I'd take my Barbie, imagine her going out with the most handsome player + dress her according to where she was being taken.

Many of the Sydney teams amalgamated, sadly. But then came the Swans, my Mum decided to support them. My Dad supported Melbourne. Just after my Dad died, I began taking Mum to watch the Swans games at the SCG. The Edelsten years of the flamboyant Sydney Swans were hilarious! After rain, the SCG was water logged, so the Edelsten pink helicopter hovered over the SCG Oval, to get rid of the water. Collingwood fans were totally despised! Dreaded their fans in the SCG Members Stand lol

2007 GF for sure after so many chances in the 80s and 90s.
My NM supporting brother would probably suggest it was in 1974 or 1976 when he went to the footy with neighbours from Lara and found $10 on the ground.
My fondest early memory was going with Dad (anti-football league member - look it up), and previously mentioned brother to a Geelong v North Melbourne game at Kardinia Park in the 1980. Weather was shocking - cold, windy and wet. We were doing the 40 hour famine that weekend so sucked on our barley sugars to keep warm while people around us scoffed their pies and chips. Score ended up Geelong 13.6.84 to North Melbourne 4.3.27, after NM led at quarter time and were scoreless for the last half. Despite my glee we left at about 3/4 time and drove back to Ballarat (we'd moved) in our jocks and the heater on full blast because we were so far beyond drenched it was ridiculous.
Fondest more recent memories have been taking my girls to games at the Gabba and Carrara (we live in Qld now) and sharing the game with them.

Son of God, what a rousing story! This is one of the best posts I've ever read on BF. You captured every single moment of a game at KP. Brilliant writing + so evocative!

I still love it when the crowd shouts 'BALL!!!', it's one aspect that really defines our game. How amazing to have experienced such a time as a child at KP + a legendary team, + now to take your son to KP for him to see GAJ. Three generations all making life times of memories.

Thanks Kitty....glad you enjoyed it always wanted to be a football writer sadly these days are long gone

Found a clip from that 1980 Geelong v North game. For Geelong to score 13.6 on a day like that would have been like kicking 26.3 on a dry day!

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1993/091419930516.html

That was my first game of footy as a little kid on school holidays from Tassie.

I remember standing on the cement terraces and GAS fell over the fence right in front of us.

Dad was a Carlton fan but always went to Geelong games just to watch GAS. Both my brother and I plus my step brother and sister all Geelong supporters.

I remember being pretty excited for pretty much the whole 2002 season. Debuted a bunch of kids who 5 years later became premiership heroes (Ablett, Bartel, Kelly, SJ and Rooke). Had some pretty solid wins early in the season after a slow start (beat St.Kilda by 122 points and Freo by 60 odd in consecutive weeks. Can still remember Rooke ironing Stewie Loewe out with a decent shirt front in the Saints game.)

Had a run of exciting wins mid year (the Ricco after the siren goal win against Carlton, winning a 2 point thriller in Sydney, routine 7 goal win against Richmond, Eagles by 5 goals in horrendous conditions, 5 goal win over the Pies in front of 65,000 and then turning the tables on the Bombers by 6 goals) which had us knocking on the door of the top 4.

Unfortunately we faded out at the end of the year and missed out on the finals by percentage, but a few weeks later we bought home the first piece of silverware we'd won in years when our youngsters with Bluey and Mensch won the VFL flag.

Just watching Gaz Snr every Saturday. Not just a favourite footy memory but a fav life memory. Used to line up at the gates early, then charge in to get a seat in one of the 3 rows in the outer at KP. Similar story at Princess Park and other suburban grounds. Great days.

One other memory I have is one outer wing at KP, no idea what year, Ronnie Wearmouth cracked the shits with a decision and barrelled the ball out out of the ground and onto Moorabool St...straight over our heads. Crowd went berserk!

Premierships aside, mine would be 30th July, 2011.

Geelong VFL 31.6.192 d. Casey 10.4.64
Geelong AFL 37.11.233 d. Melbourne 7.5.47

Got to the ground about halfway through the first quarter of the VFL game when we already had 4 goals on the board, so saw first hand 64 of the 68 goals we kicked that day.

It wasn't just the VFL & AFL that had thrashings that day.

http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?round=14&a=ROUND&client=0-6160-0-135882-0&pool=1

Imagine someone at the Bell Park game, car parked by the boundary watching the game and listening to K-Rock at the same time.
They would have to pinch themselves to make sure they're not dreaming.

Back