Universal Love Most Exciting/Happiest Time as a Geelong Supporter

Which was your favourite Grand Final win?

• 2011 Collingwood

• 2009 St Kilda

• 2007 Port Adelaide

• 1963 Hawthorn

• 1952 Collingwood

• 1951 Essendon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

funny, I was as flat as a s**t carters hat after that game, I felt like we were headed in to another era of being the bridesmaid ....
i would give anything to get back to a grand final now even if it meant being a bridesmaid. that era was better then the current prelim final losing era we are in now. we have become footscray.

tenace was good that day as well. one of his best games. i still cant figure out why tenace became a dud.
Like D Clarke jnr, lots of pace, but awful kicking, and loss of confidence
When Clarke started, he was electric. Recall his bullet handpass to set up that Riccardi goal after the siren v Blues.
Spriggs had similar issues with kicking.

Like D Clarke jnr, lots of pace, but awful kicking, and loss of confidence
When Clarke started, he was electric. Recall his bullet handpass to set up that Riccardi goal after the siren v Blues.
Spriggs had similar issues with kicking.
we have a lot of equally awful kicks in our current side inlcuding the best player in the comp in Dangerfield. It cant just be kicking.

we have a lot of equally awful kicks in our current side inlcuding the best player in the comp in Dangerfield. It cant just be kicking.
To call Dangerfield an awful kick remains a spectacularly bad take. He occasionally shanks, but is largely an excellent kick and most of his technique is superb. You don't kick 45 goals in a season as a midfielder with awful kicking technique.

Tenace would cough up the ball under pressure though, whereas Danger creates a lot of pressure and his sheer number of possessions easily dilutes his errant ones.
You and I clearly could not be comparing Tenace and Danger in the same breath.

Tenace would cough up the ball under pressure though, whereas Danger creates a lot of pressure and his sheer number of possessions easily dilutes his errant ones.
You and I clearly could not be comparing Tenace and Danger in the same breath.
so it was also tenaces lack of getting the ball. not just kicking.

everyone is comparable.

To call Dangerfield an awful kick remains a spectacularly bad take. He occasionally shanks, but is largely an excellent kick and most of his technique is superb. You don't kick 45 goals in a season as a midfielder with awful kicking technique.
he more than occassionally shanks. and shanking makes him a bad kick. Sure when he connects he is a fantastic kick. As is Menegola and Cockatoo. But having a high shank ratio makes a player a bad kick.

so it was also tenaces lack of getting the ball. not just kicking.

everyone is comparable.
Fair enough.
I agree about Danger's kicking though. Unreliable and has always been the only ? on his stardom.
One of my favourite Cats was Wojo, and his kicking early on was average, but as he matured, it was fantastic. Maybe Danger might mature in that area too. Wojo lost none of his sheer speed.

Its indisputable that PFD has had some shocking kicks - and some really easy misses...

But im not sure that any player, sans maybe Darren Jarman, can avoid that label as they have all done it.

And PFD got 45 goals last year... if that's being an awful kick then we can have 22 more of him on the team please?

GO Catters

Its indisputable that PFD has had some shocking kicks - and some really easy misses...

But im not sure that any player, sans maybe Darren Jarman, can avoid that label as they have all done it.

And PFD got 45 goals last year... if that's being an awful kick then we can have 22 more of him on the team please?

GO Catters
ok its undisputed amongst neutrals that dangerfields weakness is his kicking. Lets not be blind by bias of this. We can be better than that. I think he is the best player in the comp. But his shanking ratio is far above the ordinary player. And when he shanks they are horrible shanks.

There isnt just two groups of shanking ratios that is darren jarman and then all other players. Thats not just simplistic but frankly a silly statement. Most geelong players shank the ball far less than dangerfield, and we have a lot of other poor kicks as well. If he didnt shank his kicks so much danger would of kicked 60 goals last year.

ok its undisputed amongst neutrals that dangerfields weakness is his kicking. Lets not be blind by bias of this. We can be better than that. I think he is the best player in the comp. But his shanking ratio is far above the ordinary player. And when he shanks they are horrible shanks.

There isnt just two groups of shanking ratios that is darren jarman and then all other players. Thats not just simplistic but frankly a silly statement. Most geelong players shank the ball far less than dangerfield, and we have a lot of other poor kicks as well. If he didnt shank his kicks so much danger would of kicked 60 goals last year.

Absolutely correct. When he has a bad day with his kicking it can be horrendous.

I don't think anyone disagrees that Danger's kicking is his weakest aspect, or needs improvement. Calling it awful or below average remains (in my view) a spectacularly bad take.

Danger kicked 45.32, so if 15 of those behinds were goals he'd have 60.17

Even Dunstall only went at 66%

I don't think anyone disagrees that Danger's kicking is his weakest aspect, or needs improvement. Calling it awful or below average remains (in my view) a spectacularly bad take.

Danger kicked 45.32, so if 15 of those behinds were goals he'd have 60.17

Even Dunstall only went at 66%
you are missing the out on the fulls and sprays that didnt even make the distance. Although I do think his set shot goal kicking is much better than his field kicking.

dangerfield is clearly below average in this one area. he aint even close to average. go start a thread on the main board and ask if danger is below average or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you are missing the out on the fulls and sprays that didnt even make the distance. Although I do think his set shot goal kicking is much better than his field kicking.

dangerfield is clearly below average in this one area. he aint even close to average. go start a thread on the main board and ask if danger is below average or not.
You'd have suggested something more appealing by telling me to go eat a razorblade sandwich.

And I'm unconvinced that your quibbles would be statistically significant enough to dampen his numbers below best ever if he had kicked 60. By just converting the behinds to goals he would have been going at over 77%

The main baord is about 1/2 a rung over the bay..

The pillar of unbiased opinion there.

But yes, PFD can improve his kicking. Second time I’ve said it . It’s just not awful.

And if 45 goals is the return from him and high 60’s win the Coleman. I’ll take that from a starting MF any day.
Could it be better.. sure it could. So could Bradmans average

Go Catters

The main baord is about 1/2 a rung over the bay..

The pillar of unbiased opinion there.

But yes, PFD can improve his kicking. Second time I’ve said it . It’s just not awful.

And if 45 goals is the return from him and high 60’s win the Coleman. I’ll take that from a starting MF any day.
Could it be better.. sure it could. So could Bradmans average

Go Catters
The bias on the main board, if you remove the posts by the obvious trolls, is far less then the bias on team boards where everyone follows the same team.

The bias on the main board, if you remove the posts by the obvious trolls, is far less then the bias on team boards where everyone follows the same team.
And I think in most posts here on this topic you’ve had agrement that his kicking is his weakest point and at its worst can be horrendous.

Id say the contention that it’s awful as an overall assessment is misplaced.

Agree to disagree.

Go Catters

There's less of an overall bias, but it's not because the individual voices aren't themselves biased.

If I wanted unbiased football discussion I wouldn't go anywhere on Bigfooty for it.

where would you go out of interest?
If online then probably to the Roar, maybe Twitter.

Or just talk to people I know in meatspace. Its the only place where you can reliably find people observing common courtesy and being accountable for their statements.

It’s not just bias, it’s ignorance. A counterbalancing factor to bias is that by watching more Geelong games Geelong people collect more information on which to base judgement.

Back