Opinion Most frustrating time as a Geelong supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not convinced Selwood will beat Enright’s games record and it’s reachable.

This isn't a slight on Corey Enright in the least but how many times would he have been concussed in a match? And how many times for Joel Selwood? Joel making it past 300 has been stirring stuff considering how he plays the game. Plus even before he was drafted other clubs were spooked because his schoolkid knees were already f*cked.

300+ games. Amazing.

I remember this vividly, we beat Port in SA (who were also undefeated at that point) which I think was my namesakes first game, then belted Carlton by 50 odd points the next week. Round six we lose to the Hawks by a couple of points and just went into tailspin. What a shitty season that was

Still reckon Ayers was some sort of Hawk plant that sabotaged our side. Four games at KP from '95-99 we lose by no more than six points to those infernal Hawks, and two of those ('95 and '99) we were unbeaten at the time. Good riddance to him for sure!

This isn't a slight on Corey Enright in the least but how many times would he have been concussed in a match? And how many times for Joel Selwood? Joel making it past 300 has been stirring stuff considering how he plays the game. Plus even before he was drafted other clubs were spooked because his schoolkid knees were already f*cked.

300+ games. Amazing.

Enright i think had a jaw injury in '04 or '05? Actually in 2004 he had two periods of missing around 6 games, played only 9 games that year. But he was pretty injury free for most of his career. Joel has had an extremely hard career with many head knocks and just outright hits to the body in contests. I reckon it might be time, having reached a 200 game milestone as the Cats skipper, to step aside from that role and have a new voice come in...whom that would be i'm not 100% sure. Maybe Stewart, or even Tom? But i reckon Joel might only play another year.

Not only that, it was only a 20 game home and away season. Two more games and we could have easily finished top 4. We were (incredibly) only 6 points off top spot.

Three of the sides we played once that season too were the abysmal bottom three...the Bears, Swans and Tigers were a combined 9-51 for the year. We had only one bite of those juicy cherries.

Over achieved since our Dynasty days.
We are not that team... Not even close to be honest. We are good side with 2-3 great players but not a great side full of multiple AA players.
Unfortunately for us we have come across 2 other Dynasty's the equal of ours, in Hawthorn & Richmond.
Like the Eagles dynasty we came across in the 90's and the tail end of the hawks 80's dynasty sometimes there are 1 or 2 that are just better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting exercise is to ask who from 2021 would get a game in the GF side of 2007:
View attachment 1220404
1 certainty.
That team was perfect, and even Nathan Ablett was better than the 07 Hawkins. The current Hawkins , maybe.
Danger for Rooke (07 Rooke was a passenger), ?Cameron (for Nathan Ablett, reluctantly), ?Stewart ( for ???), ?Hawkins(for S King)

Hawkins in for Nathan, Stewart for Josh Hunt and Danger for Shannon Byrnes.
I thought about your choices.
Small forward goalkickers like Byrnes- we would love one of him now.
Josh Hunt was a true weapon kicking out and stopping small forwards.

An interesting exercise is to ask who from 2021 would get a game in the GF side of 2007:
View attachment 1220404

An even more interesting exercise is to ask who from 2021 would be a walk up starter in all the remaining teams left in the finals:

I believe a great deal of players from our starting side would be starters in every single team other than Melbourne. Even then they would be taking Dangerfield, Hawkins, Stewart, Cameron, Guthrie and Duncan.

We have the crop for the most part. It's how they are being utilized by the coaches is where the problem lies.

No one was giving Port a glimmer of hope before Friday night. Weak top four team they said, with a much less talented team. All changed their tune by midnight though.

If your answer to this is anything other than 2006 I don't even know you.

Edit: I will accept up to Round 5, 2007.
My answer remains the same and forever will be I suspect. Unless we have a Carlton-like period of trying and failing to rebuild. That would be some *-up.

This is the issue I have about calling Richmond a great side.
We were their biggest dangers yet our current side doesn’t hold a candle to that from 07-11.
It's tough to compare to that era because it's the historic height of quality in AFL when you consider that player skills and fitness are constantly improving and the talent pool got diluted by 12.5% with GC and GWS coming into the comp. That's why you look at Geelong, Collingwood, and Hawthorn's sides from 2011 and think gee they're worlds better than anything past 2015. It's also why Hawthorn won three in a row after that - they were the one top side from that era whose team stayed mostly in tact/playing at a high level and the ones below couldn't get better quickly enough. It's also probably why we have been able to stay in the top four by ignoring the top end of the draft and getting a few big recruits.

I don't have a problem saying Richmond is about as dominant in this era as other teams in previous ones. But it will be a few years yet before the top teams are better player-for-player than Geelong 07-11, St Kilda 09-10, Collingwood 10-11, and Hawthorn 11-14

1 certainty.
That team was perfect, and even Nathan Ablett was better than the 07 Hawkins. The current Hawkins , maybe.
Danger for Rooke (07 Rooke was a passenger), ?Cameron (for Nathan Ablett, reluctantly), ?Stewart ( for ???), ?Hawkins(for S King)
The current Hawkins maybe…gimme a spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back