Opinion Most HATED Opposition Club? (Besides West Lakes)

Most HATED Opposition Club? (Besides West Lakes)

• Collingwood (Eddie)

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Essendon (Based On Record)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Geelong (Record And Players)

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Hawthorn (Former Coach)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • North Melbourne (Based On Record)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Richmond (Former Coach)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • West Coast (Perth Crows?)

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like if I grew up in WA I'd hate the Eagles as much as or more than I hate the Crows. Both disgusting excuses for 'football clubs'.
It's always amused me how SA Port fans hatred of the Crows mirrors my own feelings towards the Eagles.

After the tingles it has to be wet toast by the length of the Flemington straight, many of their supporters come across as worse than those of our home town rivals, and I didn't think that was possible.
If their season is going well it's moronic arrogance, if it's going bad it's chip on the shoulder neurosis for anything east of the nullabor.

It must be f****** dreadful being a supporter of another AFL club in Perth, and way beyond dreadful for a docker's barracker!

I’m gonna plump for a touch of Freo hate here, as they seem to be sailing above the sonar.

1) somehow managed to fashion credibility as a ‘genuine club’ despite being every bit as brand new and contrived as their crosstown brethren. whether it’s the kitsch nautical aspect, or the misnomer that they’re a joint-venture between East and South Freo, that myth seems to endure. i’ve actually interacted with bulk-clownshoes who believe Freo is legit old timey, but ‘Port Power’ isn’t. bizarre.

2) one of the biggest Port-hating douchecanoes this site spawned is a Freo fan. EAD, that guy.

I’m gonna plump for a touch of Freo hate here, as they seem to be sailing above the sonar.

1) somehow managed to fashion credibility as a ‘genuine club’ despite being every bit as brand new and contrived as their crosstown brethren. whether it’s the kitsch nautical aspect, or the misnomer that they’re a joint-venture between East and South Freo, that myth seems to endure. i’ve actually interacted with bulk-clownshoes who believe Freo is legit old timey, but ‘Port Power’ isn’t. bizarre.

2) one of the biggest Port-hating douchecanoes this site spawned is a Freo fan. EAD, that guy.

Nah, I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as you think.

Sure, they are a new franchise, but they have deliberately tried to acknowledge the history of football in the Fremantle area without outright trying to claim that history - eg, initially being set up at Fremantle Oval before a local council dispute had them off to Cockburn, their guernsey design is a nod to an old Fremantle Football Club from the 19th century, their B&F is named after a WAFL great. They aren't an actual former state league club ala Port but at least they try to acknowledge the history of WA football in various ways - believe me, their cross town rivals do absolutely nothing of the sort and never have, they are totally on board with that Victorian narrative about football never having been played outside of Victoria until 1987.

A large percentage of Freo's original core fan base were WAFL fans that never warmed to the West Coast franchise. Because of this, their supporters are nothing like their West Coast counterparts and going to their games feels much more like a 'real' footy game than a West Coast game does. They are far less arrogant, far less one eyed, much more likely to engage in banter with opposition fans rather than abuse them. It's actually chalk and cheese to be truthful.

Sure, they are a new franchise, but they have deliberately tried to acknowledge the history of football in the Fremantle area without outright trying to claim that history - eg, initially being set up at Fremantle Oval before a local council dispute had them off to Cockburn, their guernsey design is a nod to an old Fremantle Football Club from the 19th century, their B&F is named after a WAFL great. They aren't an actual former state league club ala Port but at least they try to acknowledge the history of WA football in various ways - believe me, their cross town rivals do absolutely nothing of the sort and never have, they are totally on board with that Victorian narrative about football never having been played outside of Victoria until 1987.

A large percentage of Freo's original core fan base were WAFL fans that never warmed to the West Coast franchise. Because of this, their supporters are nothing like their West Coast counterparts and going to their games feels much more like a 'real' footy game than a West Coast game does. They are far less arrogant, one eyed, much more likely to engage in banter with opposition fans rather than abuse them. It's actually chalk and cheese to be truthful.

Yeah I don't mind Freo. They do seem to have an inordinate amount of fans that hate us though. I thinks it's more about we as s club, are everything they want to be.

Most Freo fans are just salty that we won an AFL premiership before them.

Purple is awful and they've played some of the worst football to watch over the last 10 years, along with fielding such names as Crowley, Ballantyne and Walters. Also, put on your superman capes boys, its warfie time.

They're really hard to warm to, all things considered.

A large percentage of Freo's original core fan base were WAFL fans that never warmed to the West Coast franchise. Because of this, their supporters are nothing like their West Coast counterparts and going to their games feels much more like a 'real' footy game than a West Coast game does. They are far less arrogant, far less one eyed, much more likely to engage in banter with opposition fans rather than abuse them. It's actually chalk and cheese to be truthful.

I also have some sympathy for Dockers fans as the only club in the league to cop a worse deal from the local media than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect we would, given we're the only team they've failed to compile a winning record against in Perth.
The 90 million dollar cash stockpile and 4 flags they've won since 1990 says otherwise.

Big Vic clubs, sure.
Without their hilarious recent 1pointings of us they'd barely know we exist.

The 90 million dollar cash stockpile and 4 flags they've won since 1990 says otherwise.

Big Vic clubs, sure.
Without their hilarious recent 1pointings of us they'd barely know we exist.

Who cares if they don't know we exist, they're the football equivalent of the Nazi Party, I'd rather be off their radar.

View attachment 996892

It’s one of the more anachronistic records that still stands.
It's perhaps been largely forgotten because of our comical ineptitude against them at Adelaide Oval but, for most of our AFL existence, West Coast have been our bunnies. They could hardly buy a win against us at Football Park.

They might have a shitload of money but that money can't buy football history and tradition, which Port has in spades. I'm sure it irks WA folks to lose to Port and be reminded that their traditional clubs didn't make it to the AFL, which deep down is what they really wanted, even if they can no longer admit it to themselves or speak of it in polite company.

Who cares if they don't know we exist, they're the football equivalent of the Nazi Party, I'd rather be off their radar.
Ha I love our wildly differing experiences with West Coast fans while living in Perth.

My experience was that in general, there was a hatred for the Victorian powerblock, confidence/arrogance for their record, and disdain for the Dockers; all of which I found pretty understandable.

If anything I found it was the Freo supporters with a chip on their shoulder about Port, with them yet to win an AFL flag despite being in the comp longer.

Never had any problems at either Freo or West Coast games and was usually pretty vocal, felt like more of an event for many over there than it does in SA, probably due to the greater number of corporates and internationals who were there as a result of the mining boom.

All just a function of the kinds of supporters you know I guess.

I'm putting Essendon up on my list for being such massive cuck heads about this stupid Orazio deal. If the Saints can get Butler for pick 56 we shouldn't even be giving up anything for this guy. Even with the change in list management they still act like a bunch of spoiled brats. They've done nothing likeable since the Sheedy days.

Back