Review Most impressive during preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Morrison looks a dead set certainty to rub the Lions' faces in it and put Brown's career in the shade.

I swear, Bourkey's put on at least 10 kilo's, maybe more, looks like chiseled marble.

Been massively impressed with Zantuck's attitude, he'll take the next step this year for sure.

And what about our trade steal, Blumfield? Moving beautifully, half a dozen elite years left in his body, can't wait to see him linking with Cogs in our even more potent midfield. Suffer Essendon maggots, we lifted an elite gun from you ridiculously cheap.

Big year ahead folks, strap in.

Morrison looks a dead set certainty to rub the Lions' faces in it and put Brown's career in the shade.

I swear, Bourkey's put on at least 10 kilo's, maybe more, looks like chiseled marble.

Been massively impressed with Zantuck's attitude, he'll take the next step this year for sure.

And what about our trade steal, Blumfield? Moving beautifully, half a dozen elite years left in his body, can't wait to see him linking with Cogs in our even more potent midfield. Suffer Essendon maggots, we lifted an elite gun from you ridiculously cheap.

Blumfield eh? picking up scraps from the reigning premier. Karma? Towner must be the first trade in decades. Blumfield & Houli VS Townsend Zantuck. Now that they have the wave pool next door I reckon Vlas & the other surfers might see Tullamarine as desirable now. Was Tullamarine a beach suburb back before global warming?

But if we are going to look at our recent delistings. Miles was good for a year or 2, Lloyd has been good for Dogs, as has Conks, Butler went OK, as did Towner, even Moore played, Ellis got a lot of it up there.

I think one very interesting feature of Richmond over the last 15yrs is that you really can't find a single player who has improved after being traded elsewhere. In fact, most players have dipped noticeably before an early career end.

We've clearly been a well coached side which is getting the most out of what we have for all that period, hiccups like 2016 notwithstanding.

We actually did...
1583910195484.png

So ironic, TiA, Blumfield arrived as a 'saviour', Houli more often than not in his early years got portrayed as a list clogger who was defensively weak, with his 'only talent' being his 'overrated disposal.'

Determination to succeed can take you a long, long way in footy.

I think one very interesting feature of Richmond over the last 15yrs is that you really can't find a single player who has improved after being traded elsewhere. In fact, most players have dipped noticeably before an early career end.

We've clearly been a well coached side which is getting the most out of what we have for all that period, hiccups like 2016 notwithstanding.
For players its not so much about their own improvement but just getting an opportunity to play seniors. Lloyd, Miles, Conca are doing much the same as when they played with us. Did Tom Lynch improve after he joined us?

For players its not so much about their own improvement but just getting an opportunity to play seniors. Lloyd, Miles, Conca are doing much the same as when they played with us. Did Tom Lynch improve after he joined us?

Lynch had no pre-season last year, let's re-evaluate at season's end. I already see him as a more complete footballer than he was at GC.

Lloyd, Miles, Conca, yep, similar output, more opportunity, zero improvement.

I'd say 5 players enhanced their reputations:

- CCJ is ready to play
- Pickett confirmed he is a lock and may play 22 H&A games
- Stack showed he actually spent the off season getting fit
- Baker played well and is best 22
- Higgins has come back from his operations and can still go hard at it

Everyone else I don't think we learned anything we didn't already know.

Jay Shulz one exception? Your point stands though, there probably hasn’t been a Brad Ottens since Brad Ottens.

Pickett's the one. I thought he was level pegging with Ross before the pre-season but I'm now quite confident he'll play most matches this year. Will probably get a whole lot better as he goes too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jay Shulz one exception? Your point stands though, there probably hasn’t been a Brad Ottens since Brad Ottens.

Could make a case for Schulz, but I guess from our perspective we sorted out his off-field issues so Port got some decent value from the trade. To me he was the same player with way more opportunity, not really improved as such.

Ottens' total output at the Cattery way exceeded what he did with us, but I'd argue he never bettered his 2001 season. After impaling himself on that garden stake he never moved the same again and then the knee reco compounded it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back