Opinion Most Improved Player 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cast your thoughts here on who you think our lost improved is throughout the season.

Right now I think it’s a no brainer for McCluggage. He’s looking so much more composed and calm and he is carving up the opposition when he gets the ball. I’m so excited to see him continue to mature as the season goes on.

Second right now is Berry. He has played great this season and you could see it in his first game against the Saints. Waiting for him to have a big possession game but his effort and run has been amazing.

Nick Robbo as well, although his improvement came last year. Finally looks comfortable in the AFL and is becoming the small defender we’ve been begging for for over a decade!

Can lockdown a guy, but also runs as hard as anyone, skills have become tidy and his pressure/intensity is awesome.

Charlie Cameron has given us something we've been lacking: A dangerous forward who can run in the guts. Closest we've had is Zorko, Taylor and when we had him, Green.

As far as our own talent, McCluggage is up there, Dizzy I think has really started to show hes got potential as a lockdown defender.

Walker is playing his role and doing well. He'll only have more pressure on him when Bellenden starts knocking for his shot. And Skinner I suspect will get another crack this season, potentially in that forward role. Although I hope we dont have him Rucking, so maybe down back will be his spot.

Walker played a lot more consistently last game in my eyes. Even though he still had to convert his shots at goal he did what made him valuable last season. He made a contest in the ruck and in marking situations and took those two or three contested marks. I’m hoping he continues to build upon it and I hope he feels the pressure from Ballenden and our other talls.

Darcy Gardiner has had a great first 3 games. Not giving up as many silly free kicks and is reading the play better IMO. But of course he's got a bloody great mentor in Hodgey up there so really we should expect nothing less than improvement from our defenders! (But credit to them as they have to deal with so many inside 50s every week...)

Gardiner and Robbo for mine. Our defence isn't pathetic anymore as we have now a backline that love a contest.

We could also start a thread of who hasn't improved but, very unfortunately, Dan McStay heads the list for mine in this list.

I think Nick Robbo takes the cake. Had a fantastic start to the year.

McCluggage a close second.

Who knew he was such a tough bloody footballer? Kid ain’t afraid to throw his weight around this yesr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Robbo is really beginning to show his value I think. He is by no means a perfect player but he is tough, hard as nails, determined and increasingly reliable. His disposal is getting much more thoughtful and at times quite disruptive to the defence of the opposition. Defensively he is just a tough niggly annoying pest in the best sense - I don’t think anyone would like knowing they have three hours of Robbo manning up on them. He plays good game time and is usually close to the top in terms of distance covered in a game.

I think that a bit like our other Robbo, there is another really good reason to pick him every week - we start to get a reputation as a team not to be readily messed with. The best teams have those guys who just make everything a bit harder for the opposition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back