Club History Most Inspirational Moments In Finals (Port)

Remove this Banner Ad

• Hodges returns from the dead to take Davies’ record in the 90 GF

• Pickett opening goal of the 04 QF

• Shaun smother to prevent Guerra taking it to extra time in the 04 PF

• Monfries’ mark going back with the flight in the 14 PF

• Wingard running ~150 metres to attend multiple contests in the one passage of play before snapping from an acute angle in the 14 SF

That Wingard one was epic. My brother and I have always loved BT's commentary for that play: "Duffield and Neade, Neade and Duffield. He needs help, there's lots of help, but he can't get it out to any of the help! ...in the end, somehow Port Adelaide got it to Wingard... Wingard snap at goal, and he kicks it!". The delivery was great, and BT sounded just as impressed as anyone else the way Wingard run for that goal.

Clip below with the timestamp.

1979 grand final

Darrell Cahill's physics-defying goal in the first quarter

Robert Dolan beating the highly-rated South Adelaide ruck combo after being Norwood's third string reserves ruckman earlier in the year

Greg Phillips punching the ball relentlessly out of bounds to the outer flank in the driving rain when South kicked with the breeze

That Wingard one was epic. My brother and I have always loved BT's commentary for that play: "Duffield and Neade, Neade and Duffield. He needs help, there's lots of help, but he can't get it out to any of the help! ...in the end, somehow Port Adelaide got it to Wingard... Wingard snap at goal, and he kicks it!". The delivery was great, and BT sounded just as impressed as anyone else the way Wingard run for that goal.

There’s our ‘Dusty’.

Nothing beats wangas goal from the boundary in the 04 prelim. Missed that sort of class in this years prelim. Backed it up in the gf too and turned the match with a breathtaking 15-20 minutes of footy (kicking 4 goals)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1979 grand final

Darrell Cahill's physics-defying goal in the first quarter

Robert Dolan beating the highly-rated South Adelaide ruck combo after being Norwood's third string reserves ruckman earlier in the year

Greg Phillips punching the ball relentlessly out of bounds to the outer flank in the driving rain when South kicked with the breeze
Bomber Clifford's screwpunt goal was special too. Don't know if many current players could emulate that.

Polec's play was pretty damn fine as well.

Tony Giles tackle on a charging John Duckworth on the outer wing in the 79 2nd semi.

Oh yes, that was a great football moment - the tackle that broke Centrals. :thumbsu:

He came up swinging after the ump paid holding the ball and was booed through the rest of the match. Then South supporters thought that looked like fun so they booed him all through the prelim final. He had a massive dummy spit about it "Is that how you treat your Magarey Medallists here?" boo *ing hoo.

Hodges' rundown tackle on Spehr - fourth quarter 1994 GF.

Kiym Kinnear leaping to intercept a Mike Taylor handball on centre wing in the last ten minutes of the 1980 GF when the Legs were on a roll and going into attack to potentially take the lead. Turned momentum and we went down and kicked the sealing goal.

47 - 17

We've got a decent record of being five goals down in finals and getting back to a place where we could win recently.

If only we actually won all of them.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Hutton taking a courageous mark running with the flight as Darren Jarman tried to put him in a coffin in the 1990 PF

1980 reserves grand final, Dave Granger spitting on the Union Jack goalsquares at every opportunity ;)

Also that game itself, Port trailed by 44 points to Glenelg at three quarter time, 13.12 to 6.10. Coming home with the breeze, Port Adelaide kicked 9.6 to a solitary point by Glenelg in the last quarter to win the Reserves Premiership by 15 points, 15.16 (106) to 13.13 (91). Dave kicked 5 goals.

1980 reserves grand final, Dave Granger spitting on the Union Jack goalsquares at every opportunity ;)

Also that game itself, Port trailed by 44 points to Glenelg at three quarter time, 13.12 to 6.10. Coming home with the breeze, Port Adelaide kicked 9.6 to a solitary point by Glenelg in the last quarter to win the Reserves Premiership by 15 points, 15.16 (106) to 13.13 (91). Dave kicked 5 goals.
What was the reserves Grand Final Bradley played?

Dave's very proud of that game!

47 - 17

We've got a decent record of being five goals down in finals and getting back to a place where we could win recently.

If only we actually won all of them.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Even the horror shows of the early millennium followed a similar path:

• vs Collingwood: 19-46 (3m 9s, Q2)/95-101 (20m 32s, Q4)

• vs Sydney: 28-71 (25m 36s, Q2)/88-100 (FT)

Just tap it in, honestly.

After what happened in the 89 GF against Nth Adel, Scott Hodges cruelly but inspirationally completed the burial by kicking 13goals against them in the 90 prelim. I think he kicked 8 in the first qtr. The whole side seemed angry at losing to Glenelg in the 2nd semi the previous week. One of the most rabid performances I’ve seen.

Even the horror shows of the early millennium followed a similar path:

• vs Collingwood: 19-46 (3m 9s, Q2)/95-101 (20m 32s, Q4)

• vs Sydney: 28-71 (25m 36s, Q2)/88-100 (FT)

Just tap it in, honestly.
It's a mindset thing IMO. In the early 2000's I absolutely hated we'd get something like 60 points up at 3/4 time then ease off for a 40-50 point win, instead of pushing on for an 80-100 point one. Putting aside I'm 99% certain this cost Wanganeen a second Brownlow with the usual 'opposition gets a vote in a 30-50 point loss' against us, they wouldn't have in a 80-100 one, it showed a failure to understand mental destruction. Beat a side by 30-50 after 60 up and they'll think 'We started getting on top late, if we meet again it won't start so badly' versus lose by 80-100 points and that side (and others) would be half shot before the siren sounded, fearful of playing us again and having the same result. Which only made it more likely. All the stranger coming from Choco knowing how it was the mental strength edge over sides that helped power (no pun intended) the Magpies to so many wins when they were 'too old, too slow, too many premierships'.

It's still a mental thing to a degree now, but from the point of view that some clubs come out and smash sides early, knowing they won't be able to keep that up all game, but banking on the opposition being mentally shot being 40 - 50 down at half time. Geelong and their older brigade the most obvious example. Port play more a hold on and 'grind them out' style. If both end up with a good win at the end of it, those that were smashed early are more likely to take mental scars away from it. It's rare we destroy even a semi-decent side comprehensively these days. Our one smashing against a reasonable side this year was against West Coast and that was outside SA or WA, so I doubt it'd concern them too much.

In both cases we just lack the killer instinct as a club we used to have, to destroy (non-completely s**t) sides and keep the foot on the throat once it's there. Likely unpopular opinion here, but this is epitomised by Boak. Great player, but also an extremely good bloke. What's wrong with that you say? You can't picture him easily on the field figuratively crushing an opponents neck with his boot. Jonas is a bit better in this regard, but our older players (Boak, Gray, Hartlett, Westhoff, Ebert, Rockliff) all were or are good to great players, but lack mongrel. It's why I'm so glad we didn't blink and ditch SPP and have the likes of him, Butters and DBJ coming through as future leaders. Players that will happily destroy an opponent and not feel bad about it.

Last edited:
It's a mindset thing IMO. In the early 2000's I absolutely hated we'd get something like 60 points up at 3/4 time then ease off for a 40-50 point win, instead of pushing on for an 80-100 point one. Putting aside I'm 99% certain this cost Wanganeen a second Brownlow with the usual 'opposition gets a vote in a 30-50 point loss' against us, they wouldn't have in a 80-100 one, it showed a failure to understand mental destruction. Beat a side by 30-50 after 60 up and they'll think 'We started getting on top late, if we meet again it won't start so badly' versus lose by 80-100 points and that side (and others) would be half shot before the siren sounded, fearful of playing us again and having the same result. Which only made it more likely. All the stranger coming from Choco knowing how it was the mental strength edge over sides that helped power (no pun intended) the Magpies to so many wins when they were 'too old, too slow, too many premierships'.

It's still a mental thing to a degree now, but from the point of view that some clubs come out and smash sides early, knowing they won't be able to keep that up all game, but banking on the opposition being mentally shot being 40 - 50 down at half time. Geelong and their older brigade the most obvious example. Port play more a hold on and 'grind them out' style. If both end up with a good win at the end of it, those that were smashed early are more likely to take mental scars away from it. It's rare we destroy even a semi-decent side comprehensively these days. Our one smashing against a reasonable side this year was against West Coast and that was outside SA or WA, so I doubt it'd concern them too much.

In both cases we just lack the killer instinct as a club we used to have, to destroy (non-completely sh*t) sides and keep the foot on the throat once it's there. Likely unpopular opinion here, but this is epitomised by Boak. Great player, but also an extremely good bloke. What's wrong with that you say? You can't picture him easily on the field figuratively crushing an opponents neck with his boot. Jonas is a bit better in this regard, but our older players (Boak, Gray, Hartlett, Westhoff, Ebert, Rockliff) all were or are good to great players, but lack mongrel. It's why I'm so glad we didn't blink and ditch SPP and have the likes of him, Butters and DBJ coming through as future leaders. Players that will happily destroy an opponent and not feel bad about it.

We s**t on Sam Gray for being a flat track goal kicker, but he's the exact kind of guy you need sometimes to seize his opportunity to bury a side.

Sam Gray did not believe in easing up.

Unfortunately he didn't believe in turning up against more challenging teams too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back